Melbourne IT Ltd. Problem

Problem with Melbourne IT Ltd.

Does anyone have any advise to help me get my authorization code for a dot info domain currently registered with Melbourne IT?

They have acknowledged my request by asking me for my registry key to verify that I am the owner. I replied with that info and got the standard "we normally respond in 48 hours" reply, but going on 10 later, I still don't have my Auth code.

This is getting ridiculous and I am considering legal action now. I see they have an office in San Francisco so at least I don't have to travel to Australia to file a claim.

Have you done anything in those ten days? Have you sent any follow-ups? Have you tried phoning them?

There are all sorts of reasons why promised emails don't arrive. There could have been a malfunction which caused the email to not go out, or to get lost between their server and yours. It could have got stuck in spam filters, either your ISP's or your own. To take legal action just because an email hasn't arrived is just a little bit premature IMVHO.

Just politely ask for it one more time. But politely say you're thinking of legal action
    if this isn't done soon.

Respect goes a long way, after all.

If I am correct I though that melbourne had a domain management interface where you can get the code directly. Is the name with MIT or with a reseller like verio, yahoo or msn?
    Domain Maven

Thank you all for your replies. This is not the first domain I have transferred from Melbourne, it is the last. I was unsuccessful in transferring the last two a year ago, and had to renew with them to keep from having them locked. I lost one domain a few years back because of this, and have not the whole experience has left me with bitter memories of the whole Yahoo/Melbourne experience. I covered this in another thread elsewhere on this site.

Yes I have emailed many times mostly using the online help system they have. Each time I get an auto response indicating the email was received. I did get one reply that was not of the canned variety. It asked for proof of ownership, I replied with what was asked, and also received a an auto reply. So emails are making it through. Yes, I am well aware that spam filters can intercept the emails, I check regularly to make sure they are not there. Like I said I just got done transferring the other domain from them. I received the auth code in a few days, so this in not uncharted territory for me. No I have not called them as I don't really want to rack up a bunch of long distance calls when a simple polite email should do.

There are no tools, help, or any info on how to transfer a domain away from Melbourne. Yes I still have an account with them as the only way I can get a response is to use their so called help system. Most of the emails they have sent tell you not to reply to them.

The names were all registered with Yahoo.com a Melbourne reseller. I had no idea that they were being registered with Melbourne. So I have had to have Yahoo release them to Melbourne. Yahoo advises you to close your account. Then you have to contact them to get the domain released to Melbourne. At Melbourne you add the domain to your account and then start asking for your auth code. Sometimes they give you the correct one, sometime you get one that doesn't work and have to ask all over again. Time is money and I am spending lots of it to get a simple code. Funny I can get my account password sent to me with the click of a button, but I can't get my auth code without jumping through hoops. I even documented the whole process the last go around, since it was such a pain. But guess what, this time it's different.

Now I do understand that a company doesn't want to make it real easy to leave. But these delay tactics are bordering on criminal. My domain expires in March, and I don't want to pay a premium rate to renew again with a company that treats it's customers like this. If I had known that it would take this long, I would have not have waited so long to initiate this last transfer, but hey I wanted to make sure the other one was clear before doing this one.

I have just filed a complaint with ICANN, and will try the BBB next.
    There is much more to my story, and I suspect there are others like me out there with similar experiences. So yes I am considering legal action. Small Claims court, a Civil suit, or even a class action lawsuit. But is there any reason why this is even necessary? Good grief I just want my auth code.

It may be worth the phone call to Australia to reach MIT if this is very important
    Domain Maven

it probably wont be necessary as I just received my auth code from them. Transfer was initiated and Melbourne has just confirmed this.

Looks like someone from Melbourne is monitoring this site.

But the best thing is that I have found this site, and it is a treasure trove of fantastic info.

Why would a huge company like yahoo resell domain names? I would think it is cheaper to buy direct from the source.

Quote Originally Posted by technanny
    Why would a huge company like yahoo resell domain names? I would think it is cheaper to buy direct from the source.
    To "buy from the source" as you put it you have to be accredited as a registrar, which is a long and involved and expensive process. The normal route towards accredition is to start off as a reseller for one of the established registrars and apply for accredition later.

Yahoo hasn't been in the domain business all that long - I don't know if they have now been accredited or if they are still going through the process.

I am happy all ended well for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman2k
    I even documented the whole process the last go around, since it was such a pain.
    Can you please give us the url for this documented process, because it looks like I'll be facing this kind of problems myself very soon.

Thank you!
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

I have not published these steps on a site yet. I hope I don't have to. But here are the steps in short.

First make sure your domain contact info is correct and the email address is a good one that hopefully doesn't see a lot of spam.

Close your account of that domain in Yahoo. I did this via the control panel. Email Yahoo and ask them to release the domain

Here is the email from Yahoo via this email address. domains-support@cc.yahoo-inc.com

"Dear Yahoo! Customer,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Domains.

Your domain name has been submitted to be released from our reseller
    list. You should receive an email shortly after it is done from
    Melbourne IT, the domain registrar, with your domain's new Registry Key.

You will then manage and renew your domain name registration directly
    with the domain registrar.
    "

Set up an account with Melbourne It, if you have not already done so. If you were not provided with your domain password, then use the recover Registry Key or password feature there to have it emailed to you. I have never been provided with this automatically. Use the "Add domain" feature in the control panel. You will need the Registry Key or password for that domain, different from the login password for you account.

If you you want to move to a new registrar, use the online help system in the control panel. You will not find a relevant option in their system, so you will end up with the "my question doesn't fit any of these" selection. Then simply request your authorization code for that domain. If your domain is a dot info or similar domain, you can not even initiate a transfer without this info. Make sure you are specific. Hopefully you will get a reply within the 48 hours that they say it normally takes. It will then take your new registrar up to 7 days to complete the transfer. Melbourne will send you an email that allows you to change your mind and cancel the transfer. Mine states "If you want to proceed with this transfer, you do not need to respond to this message. The Domain Name will then be transferred to the new Registrar automatically upon the lapse of the grace period.

If you wish to REJECT the transfer click on the URL below:"

From there it depends on your new registrar.

I just had a domain I purchased pushed to me at MelbourneIT (my first one). Jeez they want $20 just to change the registrant info.

Did you say $20.00 to change the registrant information? This is borderline criminal

Quote Originally Posted by technanny
    Did you say $20.00 to change the registrant information? This is borderline criminal
    If that money covers their administrative expenses in checking all the credentials to ensure it's all legit and not a case of domain name hijacking... then I think it's money well spent and I wouldn't object at all. As many people know, the .uk registry charges GBP 30 for registrant changes - and they really do go to a lot of effort to check someone isn't about to walk off with somebody else's domain.

Domains names are intellctual property and are potentially worth tens of thousands. I don't think you should be able to change the registrant just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubeca
    If that money covers their administrative expenses in checking all the credentials to ensure it's all legit and not a case of domain name hijacking... then I think it's money well spent and I wouldn't object at all. As many people know, the .uk registry charges GBP 30 for registrant changes - and they really do go to a lot of effort to check someone isn't about to walk off with somebody else's domain.

Domains names are intellctual property and are potentially worth tens of thousands. I don't think you should be able to change the registrant just like that.
    If they did all of the above $20.00 would be a bargain. I doubt they are doing any of the above in this instance.

It's a $10 domain. It's BS to charge $20 for a registrant change of a .com domain. I'm in the process of transferring it out for $6.95 with an additional years registration.

I feel the same way

i cannot understand. melbourne sells 35$ a domain per year, reseller yahoo sells 2.99$

both of them tricky i understand this after searched forums. but before yahoo cancelled my 3 order and did not paid back.
    life burns

Quote Originally Posted by Rondar
    i cannot understand. melbourne sells 35$ a domain per year, reseller yahoo sells 2.99$
    1. It was time when Yahell sold domains for 1.99/yr;

2. This is similar to eNom situation: eNom sells domains for 29.00, but resellers
    are getting them for 6.95. The reasons behind this are absolutely different those
    of Melbourne/Yahell though. eNom doesn't want to interfere with their resellers
    businesses but Yahell is planning to get big profits selling hosting to millions of
    n00bs who doesn't know better...
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Glad to say my domain got transferred out to another registar without too many hassles but a longish wait (about 10 days). Most of the hassles stemmed from the original owner rather than MIT. Had to put it in dispute mode at tdnam so the kid wouldn't get paid until he cooperated, by doing what any reasonable seller would expect to do.