Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much RAM do I need?

I am currently using a reseller package and am curious about VPS. I am managing 10 websites currently, half of which are powered by WordPress. How much RAM should I go with to run those sites, and hopefully some more in the future?

Thanks.

How busy are the websites? I assume you'll be running a LAMP setup, do you need a control panel?
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

Yeah it depends on how busy your websites. Generally with 512MB of RAM (and above), that should be enough for VPS to run 10 websites (wordpress).
    Also please consider if you're using cPanel, it takes some of your memory resources (around 200 MB).
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

It sounds like 512-768MB would be ideal for 10 WP sites and cPanel, but again this depends on how big your sites are.

Wordpress eats resources more then you think. If there are enough plugins, .swfs etc you wont handle the websites with 512 RAM. Of course, the number of visitors is the most important here. If the websites are yours, I'll recommend you to use some cache plugin to get better.

It doesn't sound like I can afford a VPS. Thanks.

Well don't get too far ahead of yourself there - what's your budget look like?

I would like to stay around $20/month if possible.

It really depends on a few things, do you need management (are you comfortable doing the server admin, security, etc...)? How do you provide your customers with support now? With a VPS you're going to have to do it (in case your reseller provides the support). Do you need Cpanel?

If you need management it's going to be really tough to fit a managed VPS into your budget. Ditto with Cpanel (since it costs $10-15/mo on avg). If you need both a managed account and cpanel then it's not going to happen at around $20/mo.

If your reseller is doing a good job for you what's the motivation on looking for a VPS?

Can you manage the vps yourself? Do you need managed or unmanaged vps?
    Do you need cpanel?

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    It really depends on a few things, do you need management (are you comfortable doing the server admin, security, etc...)? How do you provide your customers with support now? With a VPS you're going to have to do it (in case your reseller provides the support). Do you need Cpanel?

If you need management it's going to be really tough to fit a managed VPS into your budget. Ditto with Cpanel (since it costs $10-15/mo on avg). If you need both a managed account and cpanel then it's not going to happen at around $20/mo.

If your reseller is doing a good job for you what's the motivation on looking for a VPS?
    Managed with cPanel would be nice. I figured VPS was out of my price range. It just seems that sometimes my WordPress sites are slow. I am not running very many plug-ins and am using a caching plug in. I really don't know much about the server site of hosting. I feel my current host has outstanding support but wonder if another reseller host would offer better site performance. Thanks.

With ISPmanager, it's enough 384Mb for 10WP.
    FREE ISPmanager panel
    Advanced VPS hosting
    www.JoinVPS.com

You may need 1GB, depending on the plugins in use. It's really the plugins that do it.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

How much activity is going on with the websites you currently have?
    Barak Hosting
    http://barakhosting.com
    Shared, VPS & Dedicated Hosting - Lunatic Support is what sets us apart

It might also be that other websites on the server are causing the server to run slowly.
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.

Go for 512 if you are intending to use cPanel. Otherwise something slightly lower would be sufficient.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

The sites don't get that much traffic but one is a music site with live mp3s of my group. Whenever I add more music people usually download or takea listen. That is when the site is busiest.

Wordpress is a bloated pig before you add plugins. When you do is is almost as bad as Congress.
    Colbyt

Quote Originally Posted by colbyt View Post
    Wordpress is a bloated pig before you add plugins. When you do is is almost as bad as Congress.
    Is Drupal better? I am not a huge fan of Joomla.

Quote Originally Posted by colbyt View Post

Too true ! And thanks for the laugh.

to the OP, every wordpress page view (few plugins) should be a transient load of about 25MB for 0.25 second or so - ie., you can serve 4 pages per second with 25MB of memory used by PHP.

This, combined with the number of page visits that your sites receive, should help you get a rough idea of memory you'd need for acceptable performance.
    Add about 50 MB of RAM for a tuned install of MySQL OR about 200 or so for cPanel (includes MySQL + rest of daemons).

How much RAM did you need is depending of traffic, even 512MB will be enough but you need to analyze your web sites. Its easy to upgrade RAM, so you can start with lower and buy more if you needed.

Wordpress with plugins need resources, so you need thinks about decreases your load time and setup plugins like WP SuperCache. This is plugin that most people using, caches your page as a static HTML file so when visitor comes to your page, they will get static file instead of the larger normal page.

Also WP Optimize is made for cleanup your database as well as optimize your website.

Read about optimizing Apache, PHP, MySQL and so long, you can have 2 - 3 GB of RAM and have load problems.
    ************.COM
    windows vps - Managed VPS Dedicated hardware MS Hyper-V technology Premium bandwidth providers
    download games - Downloadable games Online games Games videos Games reviews Flash games

Quote Originally Posted by jmshap View Post
    I am currently using a reseller package and am curious about VPS. I am managing 10 websites currently, half of which are powered by WordPress. How much RAM should I go with to run those sites, and hopefully some more in the future?

Thanks.
    Do you have any location preference?
    VPS, Dedicated Servers, Streaming Media
    In Hosting Business since 1995

www.cloudvpshosting.com

Is Drupal better?
    I have more often heard hosts complain about Drupal being bloated than WP. Of course, just about any of these can become inefficient when adding lots of plugins of dubious origin and quality.

I feel my current host has outstanding support but wonder if another reseller host would offer better site performance. Thanks.
    That is always a possibility, but you need to be careful not end up to optimizing load times for yourself at the detriment of your visitors (a host close to your location can make it seem like the site's performance has improved). If you look in the source code of your Wordpress generated pages you'll see, at the very bottom something like

<!-- Dynamic page generated in 0.284 seconds. -->
    <!-- Cached page generated by WP-Super-Cache on 2010-03-18 11:06:21 -->
    (the last part only if you have WP-Super-Cache installed)

Use that as a guidance to judge how the server is performing.

The sites don't get that much traffic but one is a music site with live mp3s of my group. Whenever I add more music people usually download or takea listen. That is when the site is busiest.
    How many people are we talking about, and in what time frame? The downloads themselves are unlikely to be causing noticeable slowness unless there are lots of them simultaneously, and then the host would be likely enough to notice it and do something about it (like ask you to stop whatever it is you're doing to cause that, if not outright suspend the end user account).

I am currently using a reseller package and am curious about VPS.
    Everybody is these days. Curiosity killed the cat, as they say. Most webmasters have no real reason to think of a VPS. Unless your shared/reseller hosting provider is poor quality, a VPS is likely to mean just an increase of your costs. If you don't feel that your hands are tied when using a reseller account, a VPS will not be a dream come true.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 03-18-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmshap View Post

Thanks.
    i have 80 sites on my VPS and I now have 700ram .. i had to get it bymped up becasue the server kept crashing which not only pissed me off but my clients too... more ram = more stability.. get as much as you can afford while still making profit

on a 256mb xen vps I got 20 cms sites on it with no problem except you have to forgo php opcode for 20 individual cms sites which will impact performance. at 512mb my drupal site will outperform a non supercache wordpress site. It can be done with 512mb easily but i wouldn't put my clients through it if you have no experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast