hetzner Quenstion

Hello,

Some friend of mine recomend me hetzner for deticate hosting in Europe. He has a create experiense with them hosting a very high demand website.

What i am curius of is their offer for deticaded root servers. They sell at the same price an AMD dual core with 2 gb ram and 320 hd, with a core i7 8 gb ram and 1500 hd. How is that possible?

See this link http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/pro...produktmatrix/

You missed the "Setup Fee" column
    Verity By Nature - Administrator

Still, is a huge difference

I guess that Hetzner can best answer this question. They have a rep here, maybe he jumps in and explains...

There is a rather large setup fee
    http://erectvps.com - We care about our customers | OpenVZ US | Level 3 support | Give us try
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/erectvps
    *New This Week: New SolusVM master VPS*

Quote Originally Posted by erectvps View Post
    There is a rather large setup fee
    The setup fee is a good idea as it gets the monthly cost down. Also discourages anyone who isn't serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima VPS View Post
    The setup fee is a good idea as it gets the monthly cost down. Also discourages anyone who isn't serious.
    I disagree, I've looked at various companies for a dedi and I'm a serious buyer. Having a setup fee puts me off, the way I see it is that if a company wants my custom, they should set the server up how I want it, I shouldn't have to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Karl- View Post
    I disagree, I've looked at various companies for a dedi and I'm a serious buyer. Having a setup fee puts me off, the way I see it is that if a company wants my custom, they should set the server up how I want it, I shouldn't have to pay for it.
    I guess it depends on every person.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

The setup fee isn't for setting up your server. Its used to reduce the monthly cost. If your not happy with it go elsewhere and pay double (one way or another you'll be paying the full fee).

"The setup fee isn't for setting up your server"

If it's not setting up the server, what the hell else is a setup fee for? Saying that is just illogical

As mentioned and is fairly obvious, the set up fee is the main difference.

From what I've read, there isn't any catch or anything, once you have the server.

But be aware, Hetzner are extremely tight when it comes to allocating additional IP addresses (even if they are included in your package) and their bandwidth policy should be read before signing up.

"The setup fee isn't for setting up your server"

If it's not setting up the server, what the hell else is a setup fee for? Saying that is just illogical
    Actually, I have to agree. Some times, the set up fee will cover the cost of reformatting a disk and the labour of installation.

However, a lot of providers will use the set up fee to offset the monthly cost (as is reflected by providers who lower the month to month cost of the server if you choose to pay an optionally higher set up fee) and some providers implement set up fee's to deter spammers and abusers (such as OVH who have recently put a £50 set up fee on their Kimsufi range, even though their entire deployment system is automated).

I'll try to tell you the story behind.
    Different hosting companies have different ways to operate their business.
    Some of us, give you no setup fee, and in addition the first 3 month free of charge (or a reduced pricing for the first 3 month). After that period, you may pay a little more to cover the costs for the company - and you probably have some longer term contract periods.
    Other hosts give you no Setup fee - just monthly fees. And probably some kind of contract periods.
    Other companies - like we do - charge setup fees, and you get almost no or a very short cancellation period (we do 30 day to month-end) We are using a part of the setup fee to cover the cost for buying the server hardware - and therefor can offer lower monthly costs.
    Some people even selling our server to third parties, at the time they do not need them anymore. So they get often a part of the setup fee back. That is fine with us.
    Now it's up to you to get the server from a company which fits best to your specific needs.
    I would suggest, do the math for all fees in the period you would like to use the server in total, have a look to the contract periods, and make your decision.
    Last edited by Hetzner_Online; 02-09-2010 at 07:26 PM.