VPS vs budget dedicated

I have a quick question for everyone. I run a very small hosting company (about 100 clients, mostly local that I design for). I am currently on this vps with vpslatch.

Disk Space 30 GB
    Bandwidth 1000 GB
    Guaranteed Ram 1024 MB
    Virtualization OpenVZ
    Disks are supposedly raid10 15k rpm
    I'm only paying $18 a month for this

I feel that even though nearly all of my accounts are VERY low traffic/usage (I usually use like 5gb bandwidth total between all of them, and about 10gb space), I feel as though I'm outgrowing my current home. I'm also mildly frustrated with dealing with "other people's problems", like when an abusive vps user is on the same node as me, and my load spikes because of it.

Steadfast is currently offering the following: E6600 (2.4Ghz 4MB Core 2 Duo, Dual Core), 2GB RAM, 250GB drive, 10TB BW $59.95/mo (another $25 for cpanel).

So obvious question, should I move? What are the pros and cons of each? I'd love having the entire server to myself and not dealing with abuse from other vpsers, but is it worth the expense of going from a 15k drive set down to what I assume is a 5400/7200rpm, and the added cost?

Thanks for any input!

Have you ran any HD tests? Maybe you could run the WHT benchmark, located at the top of this section (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=924581)), and post your score here. If you could also run
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    it would surely help.
    The 15K drives those virtual machines run on, will be faster than one 250GB SATA Drive, however you have to keep in mind that it's now being used by a lot of users, rather than just your webpages so it's kinda similar to your frustration related to other people using more resources than they should on the node.
    Also, have you looked at any other providers? An E6600 could very well be turning 6 years old soon, just to give you an idea of how old the box could be.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Sure those drives are faster, but I'm sure there are dozens of vps accounts using them, most of which are battering resources a lot worse than I am. I'll run the benchmarks here in a sec. =)

I think being in a dedicated environment its always better then having to share your resources with anyone else especially when it comes down to business.

You can also find cheaper deals with better hardware within your budget.
    Best Regards / Melhores Cumprimentos,
    Bernardo Andrade
    Need a system Administrator?Contact me at email@bernardoa.pt
    Visit me at www.bernardoa.pt

returned these results on the vps (I'm not sure how good/bad this is)

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 36.665 seconds, 29.3 MB/s

Would it be beneficial for me to keep the vps AND get the dedicated for an overlapping month so I can just test both of them to death? =D

Quote Originally Posted by IMeanWebHosting View Post
    Your disk performance would be way better on the dedicated server then on this VPS.
    Best Regards / Melhores Cumprimentos,
    Bernardo Andrade
    Need a system Administrator?Contact me at email@bernardoa.pt
    Visit me at www.bernardoa.pt

Quote Originally Posted by IMeanWebHosting View Post
    returned these results on the vps (I'm not sure how good/bad this is)

Would it be beneficial for me to keep the vps AND get the dedicated for an overlapping month so I can just test both of them to death? =D
    That's an option if you can manage on the funding part. Also, as a comparison.

Here is a VM result of my personal test environment (RAID 10) with 4 normal SATA drives:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.86996 s, 156 MB/s
    And another on a single 1TB drive (no RAID):
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 13.5707 s, 79.1 MB/s
    so you should at least get 60MBps on your own server.

Is there any location you had in mind, or are you set on Steadfast's offer. Just wondering as "we" (you) might be able to find a better offer for your budget.

imeanwebhosting,

It looks like you received in an amazing deal on that VPS with cPanel/WHM included for only $18/month. As you have seen a VPS environment can have some drawbacks of a shared environment so it is good you are exploring getting your own dedicated serve as ultimately that sets you on your own environment.

The read/write test results will vary depending on what's going on at that time in the serve of course. As others have mentioned here you will see at least 60MB/sec on your own dedicated server even on a single 7.2k rpm drive so there is no doubt you will see better performance on your own dedicated server.

Another thing to consider us your server with vpslatch is fully managed. I am not sure if the same applies with that steadfast server. My guess would be it is unmanaged due to the price.
    Last edited by HostDime; 03-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    | Manny Vivar - manny.v@hostdime.com| HostDime | Premier Global Data Centers
    | www.hostdime.com/global | Global Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Provider Since 2003
    | Managed Dedicated Servers | Global Colocation Facilities | Managed VPS | Managed Private Cloud
    | Data Centers in Florida, USA | Mexico | Brazil | UK | Hong Kong | India | Netherlands
    | Colombia |

Quote Originally Posted by HostDime View Post
    imeanwebhosting,

It looks like you received in an amazing deal on that VPS with cPanel/WHM included for only $18/month. As you have seen a VPS environment can have some drawbacks of a shared environment so it is good you are exploring getting your own dedicated serve as ultimately that sets you on your own environment.

The read/write test results will vary depending on what's going on at that time in the serve of course. As others have mentioned here you will see at least 60MB/sec on your own dedicated server even on a single 7.2k rpm drive so there is no doubt you will see better performance on your own dedicated server.

Another thing to consider us your server with vpslatch is fully managed. I am not sure if the same applies with that steadfast server. My guess would be it is unmanaged due to the price.
    Manny, you guys always take good care of me (hence the amazing vps deal I'm currently on, I doubt anyone could beat that price), so I'd prefer stick with the hostdime/vpslatch crew if at all possible. I had submitted a livechat session earlier today asking if anyone at hostdime could get me a dedicated deal, but I don't think the sales guy on livechat had much authority to "wheel and deal". lol. I'll get in touch with you and we'll figure something out that benefits us both. Thanks Manny! And thanks everyone else for your input as well. =)

I currently have a VPS with them too, similar specs, but I have 60GB Disk and extra IPs for $23. I've also been wondering if I should move to a dedicated too.

HostDime is a really great company and I like them more because of the ping they have to south america(Because they are in florida). But cheapest cPanel Dedicated with them is $120.

I'll subscribe to this thread
    █ Diego Rodríguez B. - https://diegorbaquero.com
    █ Software Engineer @ Protocol Labs | Filecoin Saturn

It puts a bit more responsibility on your part. On top of the increased cost. However if you're still growing and already have the revenue to justify it. It would give you more control and reliability if you manage it properly.

It's not all about cost, what happens when your low end server fails and takes down your whole hosting business? Spend a little more, get a little more if you are already happy with your current provider.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

Quote Originally Posted by HostDime View Post
    We do not have any unmanaged services under the Steadfast Networks brand, the only unmanaged systems we provide are over at the NYNOC brand. Just wanted to make sure that was clarified.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by Deroba View Post

HostDime is a really great company and I like them more because of the ping they have to south america(Because they are in florida). But cheapest cPanel Dedicated with them is $120.

I'll subscribe to this thread
    Keep in mind our prices are always fully managed which will be higher then most dedicated server providers. We try to work with all clients budget needs so when you ready feel free to contact us
    | www.hostdime.com/global | Global Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Provider Since 2003
    | Managed Dedicated Servers | Global Colocation Facilities | Managed VPS | Managed Private Cloud
    | Data Centers in Florida, USA | Mexico | Brazil | UK | Hong Kong | India | Netherlands
    | Colombia |

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    We do not have any unmanaged services under the Steadfast Networks brand, the only unmanaged systems we provide are over at the NYNOC brand. Just wanted to make sure that was clarified.
    I apologize for assuming incorrectly, thanks for clarifying!
    | Colombia |

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.67331 s, 230 MB/s
    In a Hetzner budgetbox.