Have to reset the HTTP server in CPanel daily?

for the last few weeks, my sites have been frequently failing to load (eventually goes to a "server is taking too long..." error). To fix this, I have been manually going into CPanel and restarting the HTTP server.

This fixes it temporarily, but I've had to do it as many as 10 times in one day.

I'm on a virtual dedicated server through GoDaddy. I called their support and they looked in and said that there was a script running as user "nobody" that was jamming up the ram on the server.

They wouldn't offer any more support, so my problem is that I don't know which of my sites is hosting this user "nobody". How can I figure this out? I saw on one thread that installing suPHP could help, but I'm a total newb.

What can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcougsfan View Post
    for the last few weeks, my sites have been frequently failing to load (eventually goes to a "server is taking too long..." error). To fix this, I have been manually going into CPanel and restarting the HTTP server.

This fixes it temporarily, but I've had to do it as many as 10 times in one day.

I'm on a virtual dedicated server through GoDaddy. I called their support and they looked in and said that there was a script running as user "nobody" that was jamming up the ram on the server.

They wouldn't offer any more support, so my problem is that I don't know which of my sites is hosting this user "nobody". How can I figure this out? I saw on one thread that installing suPHP could help, but I'm a total newb.

What can I do?
    well. do you have any apache logs or anything you could post?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

All http processes run as nobody, so saying this is jamming the server is too vague to go by.

For cgi/php scripts you can use suexec/suphp to identify those processes, but you will still need to check the logs and the apache status to see what is going on.
    PlatinumServerManagement (also known as PSM)
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 21 years! Currently supporting over 3,000+ servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce & Authorized cPanel Partner.

Why aren't you using suPHP (if it a PHP script) or FCGID so that scripts run under the user that owns them?
    [GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
    There is no millibit. There is no gram-bit. There is no Kelvin-Byte.

Do you have SSH? You can do command: service httpd fullstatus (Depending on OS).

That should show any sites taking up a lot of resources. Check the process list in cPanel too.