Question Why does a server crash?

Just a n00bie question....why do servers crash? I'm sure there are 1000 reasons, but what are some main reasons? If I were to setup my own server for myself, what should I look out for? And how easy would it be for someone to sign up with a host and crash them?

( and no i'm not a hacker trying to crash someone's server lol. If i was, don't you think I'd already know, or go to some hacker's forum to ask?)

Thanks!

Hardare Failure...

Simply Overloaded, e.g. running out of RAM, CPU load is high. This can be caused DoS, popular site, faulity software/scripts.

Drunken administrators is usually the cause in 95% of all server crashes.

ShagHost
    Yeah baby, we do hosting!
    http://www.shaghost.com
    24 hour support except on Saturday evenings when we party hardy

-
    Last edited by RackFive; 08-28-2002 at 07:02 PM.
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

I'd like to see some stats on that! *hiccup**hiccup*

Originally posted by ShagHost
    Drunken administrators is usually the cause in 95% of all server crashes.

Cory Cone
    www.XstreamHost.com

99% of the time I have seen on my servers are out of control scritps that eat memory. otherwise it's hotfixes that are needed.

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Also a faulty harddrive will make a server crash, as I found out today

The drive slowly degraded and started causing CRC errors which started taking down all the services that were running over the past 12 hours or so. I was going mad trying to find the cause, till the datacenter confirmed it was the drive that had started to fail.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

Why does a server crash?
    Because its a windows server
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

Some real obvious ones...

- A power failiure would do it.

- Giving some script kiddies your root password would do it. (Not only do it, but also probably cause a format of the hard disk...)

- An incompetent datacenter employee tripping knocking over the rack your server resides in might do it (Along with a few $$$ in physical damage...)

If your server is at Burst, that might do it. Just Kidding. I have nothing against Burst.

- James

We had one server that I swear just did it to make our lives misreable. The server was named after me, of all things! It's first 6 months of life were overwhelming to say the least. We never did figure out what the -exact- cause of the spontaneous crashes were. We were left with only superstition and speculation that we still ponder to this day. That's the first and last server to ever be named after anyone we know (curing the superstition side of it lol)

Heat is another thing to be conscious of. Too much heat causes the lil guys to just pass out
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Work overload..doing stuff that server specs cannot handle at the same time are 1 of the reasons....

Heat is another thing to be conscious of. Too much heat causes the lil guys to just pass out

Originally posted by Deb
    lol

We had one server that I swear just did it to make our lives misreable. The server was named after me, of all things! It's first 6 months of life were overwhelming to say the least. We never did figure out what the -exact- cause of the spontaneous crashes were. We were left with only superstition and speculation that we still ponder to this day. That's the first and last server to ever be named after anyone we know (curing the superstition side of it lol)
    Deb

A friend wants to name her server after me...lets hope it turns out good

okay guys thanks for all the help
    And the for all the tech's, pls lay off the booze; unless you share with the rest of us.....

Originally posted by Deb

Deb, I am real superstious, to the point that some naming rules are in effect with all the servers ( and this goes for other machines I own )

1) no server shall be named male. Masculine is ok as long as it consumes and dischanges ( coimbustion engines can be masculine )

2) if a womans name shall be used, she is to be of a great lost love.

3) womans name must be honarable and or romantic.

4) at no time can a server be named after a woman of fire and lust

5) all machines should be spoken to and treated with the upmost care.

I can truthfull say the following

My car Susie, has always run fine and has never broke down, and has got me home in all emergencies ( even the day the battery was dead, she started ), now my wife drives her and has problems every time. I get in the car nothing is wrong.

my pickup truck ( Lit Fuse ) and my Chevelle ( The Rat ) of my youth, never lost a race on the strip and were always given the best parking spot.

all my servers have yet to have a GPF ( blue screen of death ) as of yet since I named them all.

My boat ( Victoria ) sailed me home, I was in 11 foot sea's and storm force winds. ( the third most scariest moment in my life )

call me whatever you want but my machines bring me home and never give me headaches.

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

I don't know if this is a server crash but it is sure able to bring down a server, or make it inaccesible

The slashdot effect

'Nuff said

-Makes me wonder if they have multi-home dedicated OC25 running to a web farm just hosting slashdot????
    Last edited by eyow; 08-28-2002 at 10:24 PM.
    Sam C
    Blue Dog Hosting
    http://www.bluedoghosting.com
    "Your new best friend!"

Yeah! That almost always works.

Originally posted by eyow
    I don't know if this is a server crash but it is sure able to bring down a server, or make it inaccesible

The slashdot effect

'Nuff said

-Makes me wonder if they have multi-home dedicated OC25 running to a web farm just hosting slashdot????
    slashdot effect will not take a server down. I have been hit with it 4 times ( my servers ) only once did it bring me to 100% cpu slam and held it there until the client made some changes to there web page and converted everything to html and reduced it to abotu 3K in size.

the problem is that you get huge lag and your connect will rise to about 11,000 within 4 minutes. so you got to be able to have the cache system working to dump the data back to the requester.

also it's oc-24. Never seen oc 25 .

mike

slashdot effect will not take a server down. I have been hit with it 4 times ( my servers ) only once did it bring me to 100% cpu slam and held it there until the client made some changes to there web page and converted everything to html and reduced it to abotu 3K in size.

the problem is that you get huge lag and your connect will rise to about 11,000 within 4 minutes. so you got to be able to have the cache system working to dump the data back to the requester.

I agree there...

* Newbie Hosts #1 reason

I have seen a number of servers being brought down by the owner through inexperience. I am talking about someone getting a server and recompile Apache and it fails, or trying to add features like Mod_Gzip and messing up the httpd.conf file.

I suggest to anyone that is new to Linux or Windows to experiment before you host other peoples web sites or go live with your own website.
    Sitekeeper
    Google

Originally posted by ADEhost

mike
    oops...

Thanks
    Sam C
    Blue Dog Hosting
    http://www.bluedoghosting.com
    "Your new best friend!"