* *ouch* my webmin stopped working as it should

Hello,

I'd be very happy if somebody out there could help me. I do really not understand whats going on.

System: Red Hat 7.2
    Webmin: 0.9x - 0.990

2 weeks ago I've tried to change the password of one of my "linux user accounts". After seeing the browser loading for about 4 minutes the browser hang and told me error 500.

Since then, every time I try to add a new user I get error 500! I did update webmin (directly by using the webmin update feature) hoping this stuff would be fixed... but nothing.

I've no idea where to start looking, all I get is error 500 when trying to add a new user or change the password of a already created user.

Any help? Thanks a lot in advance!

p.s. I did never play around with the sourcecode, I can not think of one thing I've done which could have messed webmin up.

Did you install the RPM or the source ?
    Ronny Fang
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )

first time installation: rpm
    updates: rpm

please note that webmin did always work fine until this problem come out. The problem was not caused by an update

Protector... I have used Webmin for a long time and have NEVER had a 500 error. I cannot imagine what happened. Then again I have never installed the rpm version. Try removing the rpm and reinstalling it in case file permissions got hosed.

Indy, thanks a lot for your reply!

In fact this is wired coz I know so many webmasters using webmin without any problem....

Is there a suggested method for uninstalling webmin? I'm quite worried about not beeing able to do a clean uninstall... and to cause further problems on my box.

Thanks indeed for any suggestion.

According to the FAQ, its:
    Just run the command /etc/webmin/uninstall.sh .
    If you have installed the RPM version of Webmin, you can also use rpm -e webmin, or if you have installed the Solaris package you can use pkgrm WSwebmin
    Hope that helps.

Lats...

linux help

hello again,

thanks for the info. did some of you already try the uninstall? I did check out the webmin documentation as well.... but would be nice to know if some of you had any trouble with it.

something else...

due to the fact I'm without webmin right now. could you please tell me the commands to:

- create a new group
    - create a new user without shell access

thanks a lot
    chris

Chris,

I have never come across with a 500 error with webmin in my 3+ years of exp. with it but have many a time removed and re-installed both the rpm and source, take lats advice and re-install, may some file permissions are messed up.

As for creating a new group do a "man groupadd" and "man useradd" for adding a use, allocating a /bin/false would diable shell access.

Hope that helps.

Viv

hi Viv,

thanks a lot for your advice. going to create the needed users manually.... and than I'll follow Lats advice.

cheers
    chris

2 weeks ago I've tried to change the password of one of my "linux user accounts". After seeing the browser loading for about 4 minutes the browser hang and told me error 500
    Indeed sounds like a permissions problem... are there no clues in your error logs? Seems extreme to reinstall webmin for that ?

nope... no info in the error_log