First post! I'm awesome!

Wooo first post!

Ok, here's a question: who can easily explain to me how I can start using VoIP to seriously reduce my phone bill every month?

Buy a VOIP service plan from someone such as vonage, it that easy enough? They send you the hardware you need to get started.

Is there such thing as running your own VOIP service? Like off of your own server or something?

~Garrett

Damn, missed the first post, I feel so last Tuesday
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Quote Originally Posted by GMoore7
    Is there such thing as running your own VOIP service? Like off of your own server or something?

~Garrett
    Yes. Asterisk!

Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    ... seriously reduce my phone bill every month?
    If your phone bill is high because of calling other countries, just use freecallplanet.com's VOIP.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Wooo first post!

Ok, here's a question: who can easily explain to me how I can start using VoIP to seriously reduce my phone bill every month?

I really do hate answering questions with another question

You ask how you can seriously reduce your current phone bill, we would need to know certain specific things:
    • What is your current phone bill?
    • How much would you like to reduct it?
    • What are the primary line item expenses on your current phone bill (Long distance, general phone service, additional services such as caller ID/call waiting/voicemail)?
    • Where are you located?
    Last edited by Mat Sumpter; 02-08-2007 at 03:40 PM.

* What is your current phone bill?
    Around $65 for the home phone.

* How much would you like to reduct it?
    50 cents a month would be great

* What are the primary line item expenses on your current phone bill (Long distance, general phone service, additional services such as caller ID/call waiting/voicemail)?
    I have most of the regular features...I have caller ID, call waiting, voicemail, etc. I don't have a long distance plan though.

* Where are you located?
    West LA

-Would it be cheaper for me to run my own VoIP service? Or use something like vonage? How reliable is vonage?

-Would it be cheaper for me to run my own VoIP service? Or use something like vonage? How reliable is vonage?
    Vonage is quite expensive compared to many online only VoIP providers, you should check out a couple of these companies:
    http://www.broadvoice.com/rateplans.html
    http://www.sunrocket.com/services/plans/monthly/
    http://www.viatalk.com/broadband_phone_service.htm

You should check the availability for numbers in your location at each provider. These plans should save you quite a bit of money a month then. Just beware 911 service might not operate the same way that you are used too.

Just beware 911 service might not operate the same way that you are used too.
    In what way does it differ?

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    If your phone bill is high because of calling other countries, just use freecallplanet.com's VOIP.
    Excellent!

In what way does it differ?
    I think Vonage has a pretty good explanation for the 911 services they offer: http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=911

Virtually all VoIP providers will have a statement on what 911 services are offered.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prohacker
    I think Vonage has a pretty good explanation for the 911 services they offer: http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=911

Virtually all VoIP providers will have a statement on what 911 services are offered.
    Exactly. Every provider will have their 911 structured a little differently so it'll vary.

The FCC requires that all "interconnected" VoIP providers provide full E911 service. Interconnected basically means you can make calls to the regular phone network and not just IP to IP.

Some offer it, some don't. Some offer different versions. Every provider is also required to provide a statement regarding their offerings. The best thing to do is read the statement to see what limitations might apply to their 911 service in particular as Prohacker pointed out.
    VOIPO - VoIP Telephone Service

My sister tried Vonage for a month; she said it was OK. She was calling my mom (NY to LA) frequently and that's why she got it. The thing about it is that she still needed to pay for DSL which required a phone line. It was still cheaper with Vonage though.

But then both my sister and mom got on the same cell phone company (t-mobile) and the free unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes did the trick.

I didn't even see this section until now

o.k after all its valentines day and thats my name too ;-)
    So, let me post a killer link.

http://www.voipcheap.com
    http://www.voipcheap.com/en/rates.html

I use them since 2 years and they have the best quality and the lowest prices I am aware off, anybody correct me if I am wrong. I tried 10 or more service providers.

Thats my valentine present for everybody. If you are smart, sign up ;-)

I used to phone a lot and I am down right now to max. 5$ a month.

But as Prohacker said it might not work for everybody.

Read the small print, You charge the account with 10$ and have 300 minutes or so every week free in the countries they mention. If you call mobile phones or other countries you pay. Make sure you charge the account again after 3 months or so otherwise the account credit becomes 0$. Read their terms for the exact time frame they currently use.

Being able to make calls does not mean somebody can call you (at least with VoIP), so you also might want to get an incoming phone number.

Best regards
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 02-14-2007 at 04:07 AM.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

I hate the word "Emerging".

it pronounces to a word that is too ugly, over-used in cnn economics news/interviews.

Thumbs up Voip By BullionHost

[B]Yes, it is very possible simply google for voip reseller or private label VOIP services.. You will find some deals around.

I know of a good Voip Co I trust and they have interesting prices also.
    Of course you have to know your market, as always knowing your "local - regional" market and demand is alwasy more important that the international projection at early stages! even Online.

If you see there is big or middle demand for it around you.. then many probably would love to hear about your (new) services also!

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>

Quote Originally Posted by GMoore7

~Garrett
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 02-24-2007 at 06:31 PM.
    BullionHost.com - *Unix *Windows Web Hosting 100% Uptime
    30 days money back - Instant Activation - Software - For you: USA tel/fax number

My mother is switching to VoIP, even with 2 DSL lines (one can't support enough VoIP lines) the service will be considerably cheaper month to month, and her business uses the line just about 24/7.

http://www.voip.com

This is the one she is looking at currently.
    Salvador Paniagua | CEO/Founder of AllureHost.com
    cPanel Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Hosting - Custom Hosting
    cPanel 11 | ASSP Spam Filter | WHMCS | RVSkin | RVSiteBuilder | Fantastico | PHP & MySQL 5 | Site Transfer