Looking For a New Supplier

We are currently looking for a new managed server based in the UK.

System requirements:

Linux based
    Plesk or in house control panel
    2-3 IP addresses
    Excellent technical support.

Budget:
    1200 -1500 (first year)

Has any one had any dealings with Donhosts or Pipex servers?

Our current service provider is DSVR.

Can any recommend anyone?

You may want to try the WHT Host Quote facility at the top. I have had some good quotes from that.

Is there any reason it has to be in the UK?

You'll get some fantastic deals if you would be willing to get a server in the USA or mainland Europe (especially France).

I'd aggree with that. What currency did you express the price in? £ ?

With the recent fall of the dollar you can get some great deals in the US if you include the currency converison rate.

The price is in GBP.

Can the US companies offer the same levels of support & servers as the UK companies?

Can anyone recommend anyone?

I think the policies here coudn't allow anyone to recommend you, but look at the signature of each participant, you should find some ideas ;-)

Originally posted by stuart clark
    The price is in GBP.

Can the US companies offer the same levels of support & servers as the UK companies?

Can anyone recommend anyone?
    You will find the quality of servers the same both places.

Support on the other hand.. I'm not sure about. The reason I say this is after dealing with just about every major datacenter in the US I have strong feelings for maybe two or three... Most talk the talk but when it comes down to service they fall way short.

We have recently begun exploring the UK and from what I have seen so far I am very, very pleased. They take support very serious. Just as a test I called a few places at all hours of the day and night and was ALWAYS greeted with an extremely friendly and helpful support tech and was able to get any question answered on the spot.

Since we have begun operations in the UK we have had zero problems and have had any questions answered through tickets within 5 minutes or less which is outstanding in my eyes since I tend to work all hours of the day and night..

So to summarize. I think very few US companies can offer the level of support UK companies can. Simply speaking the difference is most all dedicated server companies abroad are run as companies with a staff NOT a teenager or 20 something "one man show" as you tend to find in the US... This isn't to say all US based companies are like this.. It is just more prevalant I believe.

Wink

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    You will find the quality of servers the same both places.

We have recently begun exploring the UK and from what I have seen so far I am very, very pleased. They take support very serious.
    French are so. The main problem of French is on the phone: they have some accent in English. But they are as much serious as you want...

Quote Originally Posted by stuart clark

Has any one had any dealings with Donhosts or Pipex servers?

Our current service provider is DSVR.
    Just wondered why your moving away from DSVR?

I was thinking of moving from DSVR to Donhost myself but i've been reading that they are having similar problems (ie. taken over by new company and things not going quite as well). But how knows?

Hi,

You may also wish to post over at www.webhostchat.co.uk (aka forum2), there are a number of uk hosting providers there who do managed hosting.

As was mentioned in another recent thread though, be careful with comparing managed servers between companies, we all tend to consider 'managed' something slightly different, some providers consider giving you a control panel and leaving you to it managed, some people will fully look after your box and do everything for you, and some people are somewhere in the middle.

Make sure that when you are looking for a solution that you come up with a clear list of requirements would be my recommendation

Regards,

Tony Lucas
    Founder & SVP Product
    Flexiant Ltd
    Simplifying the Cloud - Designed for Service Providers
    http://www.flexiant.com