Moving Up From Reseller...

What would you recommend for someone who is getting too big for a reseller/shared account and is ready to lease a dedicated server? Are there any hosts with good plans for this? Should I go for a cheap, low end server and upgrade later on, or do you think it is worth going all the way? With my current money situation, I could lease a high end server, but unless it would help a lot in the long run I would rather not.

A Cpanel host is definitely preferred for ease of transfering customers.

Cisco,

Go for the quality and plan for the future. If you go low end and it doesn't work out you lose both customers and reputation. It's not worth it to save what is a small amount if money in the long run.

The other thing that happens, and I don't care who it is, if you start small or low end and try to move up to a new server the transtition always takes twice as long as you planned and you have three times the problems you were looking out for.

If you're doing well enought to move up to a dedicated server, and it sounds like you are, then keep thinking ahead of the game. Don't go through a change you don't need to just to save a few bucks.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

Should I go for a cheap, low end server and upgrade later on
    DON"T
    ◊ James | sales@vnpixel.com |
    ◊ aim: vnpixel • msn: support@vnpixel.com • yahoo: vn_pixel
    ◊ http://www.vnpixel.com

K, thanks for the quick replies. I think I will probably save up for a few more months, then get a Dual Xeon of some kind. Right now I am looking at The Planet, and I haven't heard anything bad about them yet, so it looks like that's the way things are headed.

a Dual Xeon is quite a leap up from a reseller account. You may consider getting ThePlanet's Special Dedicated Server. It is for $149/month right now.

But... But... the other people said go for quality...

j/k, I have looked at that SuperServer Special, and I think that I would just end up upgrading to a higher end system and wasting money, so I would rather just start out with the high end system.

hehe ... why don't build your own box and colocate it somewhere ?
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Quality is one thing, but if you're fine in a shared/reseller enviornment a dual xeon might be overkill for now.

Quality machines would be anything non-celeron and duron most likely; p3, p4, AMD Athlon XP/MP are good.

If you have the money and it's not going to be any kind of burden than get a Dual Xeon.. I would like one myself
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

Re: Moving Up From Reseller...

Originally posted by Cisco
    What would you recommend for someone who is getting too big for a reseller/shared account and is ready to lease a dedicated server?
    Have you spoken with your current provider, to see if they offer managed servers? If they are stable enough for you have built up a strong enough presence to need to step up to a dedicated server, who's going to look after that server for you? Chances are, your existing provider may be willing to do so and you already know their quality of service.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Gary

Re: Moving Up From Reseller...

Originally posted by Cisco
    What would you recommend for someone who is getting too big for a reseller/shared account and is ready to lease a dedicated server?

Are there any hosts with good plans for this? Should I go for a cheap, low end server and upgrade later on, or do you think it is worth going all the way? With my current money situation, I could lease a high end server, but unless it would help a lot in the long run I would rather not.

A Cpanel host is definitely preferred for ease of transfering customers.
    Have you thought about sourcing your supply from multiple WHM reseller accounts on multiple servers? That could be a good stepping stone to your own boxes.

I would advise that you build your monthly revenues up to 3 to 4 times the cost of a server, before you go dedicated. Also make sure you have a very good sysadmin to manage the box too. They don't stay up by themselves and most server providers won't provide the level of server management that you'll need to survive.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

I partially agree with the don't go low-end. Don't choose a low-end data center, that has tons of downtime. But, OTOH, I don't see anything wrong with getting a low-end server at a quality data center. Nothing wrong with starting off with a Celeron, or something of that sort. No real need to have your first server be a dual Xeon.