I'm looking to move my UBB (infopop)from a shared host to my own dedicated server. I was wondering does anyone run a UBB on RaQ 4, and how does the UBB handle. I've heard that Infopops UBB doesnt run very well on RaQ's because it requires an extreme amount of I/O. Thanks for your help!

HostBoy,

is the RAQ going to host your popboard UBB only? if so, you dont need a dedicated.

You could still continue on a virtual account. I'm currently with weinbar.com and i'm having 250000 pageviews a month with no problem. Infopop moderator Slurpee has an account with hosting4less.com and his board vhforums.com had close to 1 million pageviews with no problem.

Dont get con by your current host that you need a dedicated to run your UBB 6 just because they put too many ppl on the server or they using RAQ as their server.

I'm not looking to go with a dedicated server just yet. During peak times the board does seem to be a bit laggy. Even with 10 or so members logged on at a time!

Even with 10 or so members logged on at a time.

You DEFINATELY have to change host !!! Vhforums is getting about 50 users online & no lag. Mine is about 30 i think coz i dont have who's online installed.

Hi DJ,

Correct me if I am wrong. I don't think weinbar's shared accounts are on raqs, are they?

ebird

ebird,

I think you got me wrong there. I was refering to hostboy host. I'm just guessing though. I might be wrong.

Weinbar is using DUAL Pentium 3 500 or 800 for their shared hosting with MAX of 200 users. & they do monitor the server for excessive usage.

I was previously hosted off a RAQ & my UBB got shut off numerous times. I got fed up & moved to weinbar & my board so far has no problem for 2 weeks.

DJ tell us more about your weinbar experience.
    Ever experience any lag time or problems due to running a bulletin board via them?

RAQ

RAQ servers can handle a UBB and Vbulletin board easily... RAQ4i can handle like 150 customers, and it runs smooth.

thats with 512MB of ram too.
    Quality WebHosting for Affordable Prices.
    http://www.noxraq.com

Firstmark,

I have no performance problem at all at weinbar. No lag no nothing. But i do have downtimes. I have a service that PING the server every fifteen minutes.

For the past 3 weeks, there is this major downtimes like for 2-3 hours due to a router problem. After that, i have 3 short downtimes. The server did not respond to a PING & then fifteen minutes later, it was back up. I'm not sure how reliable is the 3rd party ping service though.

ckirby,

I know that a RAQ can handle it easily, but NOT if the server has too many accounts on them. I was once hosted on a RAQ4r with 512RAM with i think 100++ accounts on them. I get shut off or experience slowness everytime my site peaks.

I'm not arguing about RAQ performance here but based on HostBoy UBB which i went to his site to see, i dont see a need for dedicated. If his host were telling him that he is using too much resources, i suggest he moved host.