How To Calculate Capacity?

I want to start developing custom web sites (applications), for customers.

I'm just at the research stage, and i have only done basic web pages in the past.

I always wondered how to calculate the bandwidth and number of concurrent connections.

Let me explain, lets say i create a web page for a customer, and i host it on a server (managed or not), at the beginning, i only get 10 connections per hour, but then, after a post on slashdot, we get 100.000 per minute.

How can i anticipate that? Thanks.

EDIT: is there any company that offers a "on demand" (growing/shrinking) capacity servers? Meaning, i start with x RAM, x Bandwith, x Concurrent connections, and if there is more need, i'm upgraded automatically?
    Last edited by kwanbis; 03-22-2010 at 01:34 PM.

If you are looking for completely on-demand resource management, you should look into some of the cloud hosting options. For example, Amazon has a cloud where they charge you based on the actual usage of specific resources.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

But is it cost effective? I mean, how much more expensive than a normal hosting solution can i expect?

lol, ok. @ a shared hosting plan you can bet you will be blocked by the number of concurent connections without question - don't think concurent means 100dreads of connections -> 20 as a maxi would be a good guess... you can get more connections @ a VPS and/or dedicated...and how to calculate them? no way to determine if and how viral an article gets. But if you think something like this happens -> go with VPS, dedicated, else your shared host just shuts the site down as soon as it starts to be viral and a cloud based solution like amazon could be an answer to the second part - it can dinamycally alocate resources, but the price is higher

Quote Originally Posted by kwanbis View Post
    But is it cost effective? I mean, how much more expensive than a normal hosting solution can i expect?
    In most cases, cloud hosting solutions like Amazon EC2 or Microsoft Azure will probably end up being more expensive. They do have the advantage of scalability, though. Even the best "normal" hosting VPS or dedicated server plans will only scale so far. If you suddenly get massive traffic levels, a good cloud solution can scale to handle it but a normal VPS or dedicated server solution might not.

The other advantage of cloud hosting is that you don't need to pay to overbuild/overbuy. A lot of people overbuild/overbuy based on traffic levels they hope to get someday but never actually do. With cloud hosting, you pay for resources that you actually use. That will be small payments when traffic is low and big payments when traffic is high.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

I was checking rackspace cloud servers, and they told me the bandwidth/connections is scaled automatically, and that i pay for what i use. Any experience on that?

And what *should* be better, a 1GB of ram server, with 4 apps, or 4 256MB servers with 1 app each?
    Last edited by kwanbis; 03-22-2010 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSupportLinuxHostin View Post
    The other advantage of cloud hosting is that you don't need to pay to overbuild/overbuy. A lot of people overbuild/overbuy based on traffic levels they hope to get someday but never actually do. With cloud hosting, you pay for resources that you actually use. That will be small payments when traffic is low and big payments when traffic is high.
    That is what i want, but rackspace would not scale hdd/cpu/ram as needed, but in blocks, and the server needs to be restarted.

Also, it looks like amazon is only charging per used hour, which i assume it means that if only 4 users access my server for 15 mins each, on a whole month, i would only be charged an hour?

In contrast, as long as the server instance is waiting/used, rackspace charges you.

Cloud hosting is one option but you really don't need to go that advanced. There's an old tried and true hardware feature called Load Balancing where it can spread the load across a number of machines. In the event of being slashdotted yeah, it won't scale on demand. So if that happens you post a lower bandwidth html only copy of your site with a little celebratory apology saying you've been slashdotted. People will understand. Slashdotting takes servers down all the time.

If you drop your site to 100KB per page images and source and none of it's server side a couple million page visits from slashdot would be (very rough estimate) around 200 Gigs. So being slashdotted could cost you $1-10 / gig above your plan usage depending on your host. The likelihood of you getting slashdotted? Probably almost as bad as winning the lottery.

Depending on your requirements I'd say get a couple of load balanced vps's and don't worry so much about acts of nature like Slashdot.

A "good" host shouldn't limit your concurrent connections to your webserver so much as spawn new apache processes when you get more views.
    "People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel. So smile!"
    It's like I was born slow or something. Mock me if you will; I finally got internet fax and I've joined this century. If you get a quick reply from me via a fax, it's because I used my smart phone, not because I'm working hard.

Ok, let me try to better explain what i need to do.

I would develop custom ecommerce sites for customers, php/sql/etc.

So, one customer comes and contracts a 2 GB per month package, with 99.9 uptime.

Another one comes and contracts a 40 GB per month package, with 99.9 uptime.

Now, both users are hosted on the same server.

What i would like to happen, is that both sites work fine, as long as the reserved GBs are available, and stop when they have no more GBs left.

I don not want site 1 to go down cause site 2 is getting a lot of connections to the server.

Obviously that if i get a DDOS, it is an extreme situation.

But i do not want the sites to go down, cause my concurrent connections is higher than anticipated, or because the CPU is exhausted.

So, unless i overbuy a lot of CPU/RAM/Bandwidth, i think the best option is something that scales, right?

I don't know if i'm being clear.
    Last edited by kwanbis; 03-22-2010 at 05:02 PM.