Outlook Express Problems. Any help welcomed

Hello,

Well, I just started having this problem about 1 1/2 week ago.

Here's the situation:

When I open outlook express, and start to write a new e-mail or reply to an e-mail, outlook express will sometimes close saying, 'Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvience'. It also closes when it's checking for new e-mails, or changing preferences ( I think it just closes if you are doing anything in it).

I have searched MSFT.com but I came across nothing that is directed to my issue.

Here are the specifics:

AppName: msimn.exe
    ModVer: 2.1.2600.2180
    App Ver: 6.0.2900.2180
    ModName: ntdll.dll

I am assuming ModName is the Mod that is causing the problems.

Hewlet Packard suggested that I re-install outlook express by using the regedit tool, and set the values to 0, however when I try to run the setup file, it still says it detects that Outlook Express is already installed. (IsInstalled is the DNAME that was edited to 0 for both the OE and IE registry')

Anyone know what could be causing this, or know how to fix this?

Another problem:

This started about three days ago. When I reply to e-mails, it starts at the bottom of the e-mail instead of the top. Why? I don't know, but I definitely didn't do anything to change this setting. Does anyone know how to set this back to where it will go to the top of the e-mail instead of the bottom?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Have you installed the Outlook Express update from http://update.microsoft.com? It's a Custom Update, not under the Express category. It apparently fixes a handful of bugs. Maybe it'll help you out.

The only other thing I can think of is a corrupt mail store.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I go their practically everyday. As well, it tries to send a error report, and if the issue has been covered in a newer update, it would have specified so after sending an error report.

Re: Outlook Express Problems. Any help welcomed

Originally posted by TheNetway
    Hello,

Hewlet Packard suggested that I re-install outlook express by using the regedit tool, and set the values to 0, however when I try to run the setup file, it still says it detects that Outlook Express is already installed.
    Have you tried uninstalling it first?

From Start menu > Control Panel > Add/remove Programs >> 'add/remove windows components'

Outlook Express is listed. Uncheck.

Than hard reboot and reinstall.
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Yep, done that, and then I reboot, and check it back when my pc is booted back. (IMHO, it doesn't even look like it was reinstalled)

Actually, what I will do is uncheck both OE and IE, and then run that setup file and see what happens. I'll post the results.

Clicked on the setup icon, and still gives me that 'it has detected a new version is installed'

I click on the ie and it is trying to search for an installation so i know it's uninstalled. Any ideas?

Also, when you go in windows components, I found out that this only disables access to it, but they are still installed however.

Originally posted by TheNetway
    I go their practically everyday. As well, it tries to send a error report, and if the issue has been covered in a newer update, it would have specified so after sending an error report.
    Not necessarily. That's how it was supposed to work, but that seems to rarely be the case in practice.

Run your .dbx files through one of the utilities shown here. See if any of the boxes come back corrupt. Unless some program has snapped into Outlook Express directly (emoticon program, antivirus software) I can't imagine what else might cause this.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

In the majority of cases where I have seen what you discribe its caused by mailboxes that have grown too large and become corrupted. Have you tried to copy the mailstore somewhere else and then let OE generate new empty ones?
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Yep, did that.

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine