Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question PowerVPS vs. ServInt (for Dinix refugees)

I am one of the many facing the current Dinix to WHP debacle and am looking at options to jump ship and move to a new VPS host. See: dinix announcement

It is clear to me that both Servint and PowerVPS have very good reputations here at WHT. The easy and probably obvious choice is to go with ServInt. They have been around a lot longer than PowerVPS and are the more established company.

On the other hand as a small business owner I recognize the need to support other small businesses and this sways me a bit towards PowerVPS. It is one of the reasons I signed up with Dinix!

My guess is that ServInt are growing rapidly, especially right now with the Dinix mess. Can they sustain the growth? Is their data center going to burst its seems any time soon? Will they be bought out by the likes of a WHP?

On the other hand is PowerVPS growing fast enough? Do they have enough good techs on board? Are they profitable?

Many of us have been around a long time and have been through the wringer more than once and we are sick and tired of it. We just want to stick with a reliable, quality host and not be forced to move every year or two and go through all the associated turmoil. I am a software developer and I need reliable Web hosting to run my business. I am not a web company and don't want to be.

Finally (apologies for the length) I'm interested in any feedback on performance of these two hosts re. site access speeds. My sites are mainly static with a low traffic vB3 forum and stuff like flash movies. I am not US centric and have customers all around the world. So I want to ensure they have a good experience accessing my sites regardless of where they are.

Thanks for reading and for your feedback.

i moved my main vps from dinix a long time ago, to a dedicated server at layered tech (through resellerworkz), but before i chose the dedicated server i researched both servint and powervps to exhaustion. Both are good companies, but i witnessed servint deal with long downage due to a severed connection, they had someone here answering and dealing with concerns very well, there was constant communication, the boss was out of bed in the middle of the night and down at the dig where the fiber had been broken, he sent back pics from the dig.

here's the thread:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...int+of+failure

I have same dilemma.
    PowerVPS or ServInt?
    Please help us

Flip a coin. My research shows that both will do you good.

I really doubt servint will be bought out, they are certainly in a good positionto expand as they have recently anyway (I believe as there was a physical move of servers) and have been about for 10 years which in this business is forever. They have a good method of hiring new staff and will control their rate of expansion. They havent had a problem going from 5 to 75 odd vps servers (when I joined there was 5 or so, Ive seen smv75 god knows how many more there are). Personally Im very happy there with no worries.
    Ive never used Powervps, I use servint and theyre pretty amazing.
    --
    Rich

I have vps with both Dinix and ServInt. I want to keep them in two different data center for reduntancy. So my future servers will probably on both PowerVPS and ServInt.

------

And I would also like to respond to richy's signature, regarding a god so weak and small that needs me to fight and kill. Buddhism, in which I grew up with, has a god that doesn't need you to fight or kill, but I found out that it is actually not big. But now I have a bigger and stronger God that requires me to fight on the side of the oppressed. I have come to realize that indifference is worse than fighting (and maybe killing) for the poor and weak.

I had a problem with PowerVPS once (a very minor issue), and I was amazed at how far they went to ensure my satisfaction. They seemed very capable and very customer-oriented.

I am....or should I get used to saying "was"....a DINIX customer for about the past year. Overall, everything was awesome for me.

I won't go on about the whole lack of notice, etc blah blah blah, but I just signed up for a new account at PowerVPS and was amazed at how fast they called to verify my order with my credit card. They also stated my account would be ready to use in the next 30 minutes!

I hope PowerVPS turns out to be just as good as DINIX was to me....but of course, I hope they stick around a lot longer too!

Originally posted by RJJH
    I am....or should I get used to saying "was"....a DINIX customer for about the past year. Overall, everything was awesome for me.

I won't go on about the whole lack of notice, etc blah blah blah, but I just signed up for a new account at PowerVPS and was amazed at how fast they called to verify my order with my credit card. They also stated my account would be ready to use in the next 30 minutes!

I hope PowerVPS turns out to be just as good as DINIX was to me....but of course, I hope they stick around a lot longer too!
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. Can you tell someone their about this thread. Their input would be welcome I'm sure.

Well, it took a grand total of 39 minutes from the time I signed up for the account to the time I was logged into WHM and setting stuff up.

VERY IMPRESSED WITH POWERVPS.COM SO FAR

Originally posted by richy
    I really doubt servint will be bought out
    Did you ever think that Dinix would be sold? Funny enough but a lot of the WHT darling companies get sold. They grow really big really fast and then BANG there sold.

Now I am not saying that Servint is going to do that but I would never us the above statement to say "I doubt servint will be bought out".

Just my 2 cents.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

* PowerVPS vs ServInt

Originally posted by Carlos
    Flip a coin. My research shows that both will do you good.
    I have been a dinix VPS customer for a long time and I don't know much about PowerVPS and ServInt,

Now I'm going to move my VPS accounts to a new home , I consider the following feature to select the new home:

1. Customer Support
    ( I am leaving [new]dinix/whp for its poor customer care and mis-informing so the new home should be much better )

2. The Quality of Service
    ( UPTime Guarantee, Fault tolerancy of service should be equal or better than dinix )

3. The Prices and Special offers
    ( Do they have similar plans to Dinix? Do they have any special offer and care for Dinix Refugees or they are just going to hunt them? )

Any opinion to help?

Originally posted by monster123
    Did you ever think that Dinix would be sold? Funny enough but a lot of the WHT darling companies get sold. They grow really big really fast and then BANG there sold.

Now I am not saying that Servint is going to do that but I would never us the above statement to say "I doubt servint will be bought out".

Just my 2 cents.
    Yes pretty much so, servint has a very different vibe then dinix and whilst I agree that its not impossible, its not very likely. Theyve been in this business a long time and theyre very proud of the way they run their company, theyve seen no need to sell up in 10 years so I dont see why they would now. Servint are big but vps doesnt make up the majority of their income, servers do.vps is growing in popularity and volume and theyre spending a lot on expanding it but Reeds made no secret of how the company is run and how expansion is handled.
    --
    Rich

Is there some european alternative to Dinix?

Do both ServInt and PowerVPS have active forums available?

Af.

Please take a look at my spread sheet which contains a listing of many VPS companies. Get the latest one (though Dinix is still in that one. )

This is the link:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=372853

Search the forum for ServInt and PowerVPS and you are bound to find 99% of the people happy. In my own research (see above spreadsheet) they were my top two picks.

Good luck,
    Carlos Camacho

Are their any other VPS providers to consider other than Servint and PowerVPS or are they the flavor of the month?

I would not say, "Flavor of the month." Again, see my spreadsheet and you'll find just about everyone who offers VPS.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Afro Boy
    Do both ServInt and PowerVPS have active forums available?

Af.
    Yes, http://forums.servint.net

ServInt has a very active forum and the community moral is pretty high. From what I can see people love the staff.

Carlos,

That really is an outstanding piece of work you've done there. Full credit to you for it, and thanks.

Jenni
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts
    Can Also Be Seen On My Page at TekSalon

The Meatrix: Welcome to the real world

Originally posted by mediatech
    Yes, http://forums.servint.net

ServInt has a very active forum and the community moral is pretty high. From what I can see people love the staff.
    Too bad it is registered users only and "Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator." when you attempt to register.

Originally posted by jasonstx
    Too bad it is registered users only and "Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator." when you attempt to register.
    Agrred. The public should be able to *view* the forums otherwise how can they use that as part of their decision making process.

Originally posted by nevf
    Agrred. The public should be able to *view* the forums otherwise how can they use that as part of their decision making process.
    Just basically to keep who can see what you type to vps customers, it makes information flow more freely. I can see you point but there is a good reason behind keeping the forums customer only, and it seems to work well. People discuss things more readily then say on EV1's forums, and there is less junk.
    --
    Rich

Originally posted by nevf
    The forums aren't used for sales, or support, or to discuss the quality of the VPS Product. You won't find it there, so it's not going to help your decision making process one bit. The forums are an added value to the ServInt VPS Product. There you're able to discuss business, talk fun, throw around new ideas to run on the VPS ... etc. stuff that the general public shouldn't be open to see.

They're really a great value addon in my opinion. While I was with ServInt it made me feel like more of a appreciated customer, discussing thoughts straight with the CEO. I mean, we're talking hiring employee's, starting advertising campaigns, with someone who's been doing it for 10 years. Since most VPS's are used to start out, it's really great, as you're getting that direct feedback, and you're able to learn from someone who's been around the business for quite a long period of time. I can tell you that I learnt almost as much at the VPS forums, as I did here.

I was with dinix for a while and moved to Servint back in September of 2004, simply because the performance of dinix was horrid (and other issues). Servint has been great, I'll be with them a long long time. Great support, great community, great performance. And yes I want the forums there kept private, and they will be i'm positive of that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast