Question Some Doubts that i have for Colocation

Hi to all the community.

at this time i'm migrating to colocation and i would like to clear some doubts that i have:

1. IP-KVM can be used the one that comes with some MotherBoards?
    2. I will virtualize some servers and i would like to do RAID 10 to those servers, is this possible with RAID Software using VMWare ? if not wich other solution i have to virtualize and use RAID 10?

For graphic systems on my servers and offer the reboot, power on and power off to my possible next clients, what do you suggest to do this?

Thanks in Advance.
    HOSTINGLAYERS.COM Cloud Servers - Dedicated Servers - Reliable Apache Web Hosting Service | 99.9% up-time | Shared Hosting Daily Backups
    We offer hosting --> Apache Web Servers | cPanel | Softaculous | Affordable prices
    Domains - Dedicated Servers - VPS Servers [US/EU/Linux/Windows]

1. yes, you can use the IPKVM, you need to budget another port on your Ethernet switch for each server.

2. Either:

A) use a hardware RAID card that is supported by VMWare, or,

B) have VMWare talk iSCSI to another machine such as a Linux, OpenFiler, or FreeNAS box which is doing software RAID.

Depends on what you want - VMWare itself does not do SW RAID. Some have tricked it out by installing a VM which has access to all the disks, then creating SW RAID in that VM, then mounting the storage from the VM to the VMWare host for its datastore. Somehow that seems too much of a kludge for me :-)
    reliable colocation ... Dedicated Servers | Dedicated Server VMs | FAST links to Vitelity.com and Conexiant.net
    patrick@zill.net Cell +1.717.201.3366

Hello!

1. - Yes you can use the one that comes integrated with your mainboard. Most Supermicro boards come with a pretty nice KVM plus Virtual Media
    2. - VMware cannot really use software RAID. You need to get a hardware RAID controller from the VMware HCL: http://www.vmware.com/go/hcl

I am not sure what your last question was?
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

Quote Originally Posted by AdmoNet View Post
    Hello!

1. - Yes you can use the one that comes integrated with your mainboard. Most Supermicro boards come with a pretty nice KVM plus Virtual Media
    2. - VMware cannot really use software RAID. You need to get a hardware RAID controller from the VMware HCL: http://www.vmware.com/go/hcl

I am not sure what your last question was?
    If you rent a server for example on XYZ Company, they offer you the Network Graphs + Reboot + other options to manage your server from the services management panel.

Thank you.
    HOSTINGLAYERS.COM Cloud Servers - Dedicated Servers - Reliable Apache Web Hosting Service | 99.9% up-time | Shared Hosting Daily Backups
    We offer hosting --> Apache Web Servers | cPanel | Softaculous | Affordable prices

Quote Originally Posted by MrZillNet View Post
    1. yes, you can use the IPKVM, you need to budget another port on your Ethernet switch for each server.

2. Either:

A) use a hardware RAID card that is supported by VMWare, or,

B) have VMWare talk iSCSI to another machine such as a Linux, OpenFiler, or FreeNAS box which is doing software RAID.

Depends on what you want - VMWare itself does not do SW RAID. Some have tricked it out by installing a VM which has access to all the disks, then creating SW RAID in that VM, then mounting the storage from the VM to the VMWare host for its datastore. Somehow that seems too much of a kludge for me :-)
    so the most recommended configuration is applying the Hardware RAID and not the RAID Software...

but this applies with all the Virtualization Solutions? for example Hyper-V?

Thank you!

If these are the questions you're asking regarding colocation services, you are not adequately positioned to be successful in this endeavor.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

You can use cacti for graphing port or vlan stats. You can get something like an APC PDU for reboots.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZillNet View Post
    Totally agree - it seems just far too much grief for the sake of saving a RAID card which will give you better performance anyway. And if performance doesn't matter why bother with RAID10 anyway.

For the IPKVM, either be sure to get it integrated to the montherboard (Supermicro) or get the right addon - iDRAC for Dell, ILO for HP.
    Advania Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
    High Spec Colocation and Dedicated Servers, powered by cheap, abundant and 100% renewable energy.
    Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com

Thanks a lot to all for your comments and answers. we have the PDU but my only doubt was for the graphs and the RAID the rest is ready to go!