1and1 transfer help needed

I just bought a domain from someone who registered it at 1and1. They don't appear to be very knowledgeable about 1and1 transfers. Is there anyone out there who is experienced at transferring out of 1and1? Could you please explain the process as simple as possible so I could relay that to the seller.
    Signature Under Construction.

Just make sure your email is listed as the admin contact. You can check this in whois. Then once you have this confirmed, go to your domain registrar of choice and do a transfer. The domain will automatically come to you but you will need to confirm the transfer email which is sent to your admin contact.

If it is a .com domain, the transfer will also add 12 months to the renewal.

Good luck.
    Vigabyte.com servers
    Email: sales@vigabyte.com
    Web: http://www.vigabyte.com

now mostly registrar also lock domain, besure you unlock domain from domain pannel or contact them for this.

I thought you had an extra step or 2 to take at 1and1 for a successful transfer.

Unlock the domain in their control panel before attempting the transfer. That's about it.

You don't have to get them to permit the transfer anymore?

Hi Stu, all you have to do is confirm the email and unlock. Transferring out of 1and 1 is easy thankfully.

fewcoin

There used to be a load of threads here where people were having trouble transferring out of 1and1. Are you saying that now all changed?

I've been transferring out of 1and1 for a couple years now with no problem. But, transferring TO them used to require a fax approval from the losing registrar, I think that has changed also since then to the standard approve/deny email.

fewcoin

I just got these instructions from someone who buys on 1and1 and sells and transfers out. It ain't just like you say "unlock the domain, get transfer code, put in transfer request, approve transfer" which is normal at other registrars.

Hi Stu:

<snip some private stuff>

Anyway, here goes:

Go to the package containing the domain in question.
    Go to manage domains.
    Search for the domain in question.
    Click on the box to the left of the domain name, it's then highlighted.
    Above look for transfers, click on, then click on unlock, ok.
    Get the auth. code by clicking on info.
    Log out.

Then log into: "cancel.1and1.com"
    Go to the package containing the domain name.
    Click on the radio button that reads: Cancel domains and/or additional items in this package.
    Search for the domain name.
    Change the status to "Change of Provider - As Soon As Possible".
    Click on the lower of 2 "continue" buttons".
    Your sent to a page asking you to continue with the change in status (they use the word "cancel", I don't know why.
    On the next page your asked to confirm by clicking on "Finish".
    They send you an email with a link you need to click on to confirm.
    This sets everything up.
    In a few hours they send you a confirmation email that the change is complete.
    You can then go ahead with the transfer.

The process is confusing but once you've done it a couple of times it's pretty smooth.

Hope This Helps
    None of you mentioned having to login to cancel.1and1.com.

whatever you do, DO NOT CANCEL THE PACKAGE from cancel.1and1.com before the transfer.

If you do that, 1and1 will have control over the domain and it will be a real hassle to transfer the domain then.

Just UNLOCK you domain and CONFIRM the transfer initiation email, thats all you need to do. Once the domain is transfered, SUCCESSFULLY, 1and1 should remove the package automatically. If they dont after a while, you can cancel the package manually by going to cancel.1and1.com, for me they cancelled it automatically once they found out the domain is not in their position anymore.

All my current domains are with 1and1 since 2001, so I have done the transferring stuff quite a few times, they still have the fax thing, but when I email/called them they said I dont have to fax in the papers, just confirm the email.
    Last edited by HNLV; 12-12-2006 at 09:27 PM.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Ok. So basically, it's 1) unlock, 2) get auth code, 3) request transfer, 4) approve transfer. So apologies for misbeleiving everyone

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    Ok. So basically, it's 1) unlock, 2) get auth code, 3) request transfer, 4) approve transfer. So apologies for misbeleiving everyone
    Basically, yea.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Please tell us when you are able to transfer successfully. Also, tell us how long did it take. Also, tell if there were or there were not any problems in between.

Good luck.
    - Just a small ordinary customer looking for cheap and best things backed with great customer support and honest business practises.
    - Not affiliated with anyone.
    - Looking for honest answers and giving honest responses.

I've usually found transfers from 1and1 take a little longer than other registrars. 10-14 days seems to be about what I've experienced.