Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Managed.com IS United.Colo IS eFreeServers/eContinents...

It took me a while this morning to dig up all of the relevant threads on WHT, but now I've found the links I needed to prove a couple theories that were floating around here on WHT.

The "new" dedicated hosting provider Managed.com was founded by the same person who founded eFreeServers and United.Colo and ended up selling them both to Sagonet in Florida.

For those of you who don't know the whole story and are considering buying hosting from Managed.com, please read this thread before you do so.

e.Continents was a company founded by Jacques Pham in 2001. Here is an archive of what their facilities page looked like in August 2001. (Keep this open... you'll want to look at it again in a few minutes.) e.Continents sold low-cost dedicated servers and was also well known as "eFreeServers."

According to this thread on WHT, eContinents was sold to Sago Networks (who has their own datacenter in Florida) in July 2002. Those of you who were involved in this website transfer will remember that Sago rented a jet to fly all of the servers to Florida with a few days' notice. (Here's the link on WHT that tells the story.)

In 2002, Pham again introduced a low-cost dedicated server company. This time, he called it United.Colo. Here is the archive of their website, dated November 2002. Does the design look familiar? If so, keep reading... it gets better!

In June 2003, United.Colo made up a story about their bandwidth provider being unreliable (they were located in a carrier-neutral facility, so one bandwidth provider being unreliable meant they could switch to others at any given time.) They decided to sell their operations to another company. That's right -- it was Sago in Florida -- and they rented a jet and flew all of their customers' servers to Florida with only a few days' notice. (As a side note, apparently they flew colocated servers there as well, which made several customers unhappy.) Again, the WHT archives come through, and we see a similar pattern emerge.

Fast-forward to November 2003. Pham once more starts up a low-cost dedicated server company in the Bay Area. Keep the archive page describing eFreeServers' network open, and then take a look at http://www.managed.com/network.htm. Notice any similarities? In fact, the design is also the same as United.Colo's design... probably because the same person [Jacques himself, perhaps?] designed it. Until last night, Jacques himself was listed as the technical contact on the WHOIS of Managed.com (he changed it once Dilhole from WHT figured out who he was.)

This is a classic instance of history being doomed to repeat itself. Here we have one guy who twice has started up low-cost dedicated server companies in the Bay Area, and twice has sold out to Sago in Florida. Twice he has rented a jet to fly all customer servers there, and twice he has made a killing by selling to Sago 7-8 months after the company was created.

You should know all of this before you lease any servers from Managed.com. If you do lease servers from Managed.com, beware -- they may end up in Florida next year.

-Erica
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the excellent detective work, Erica. This will come in very useful
      0 Not allowed!

And if I remember correctly, the network was very oversaturated and there were non-stop complaints on the speeds and downtime.

-----------

BTW Ericka - You go girl!
      0 Not allowed!

Companies like this scare me. Something you will see on Dateline one day.
    http://www.rhost.net
    Affordable and Reliable Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

So SAGO is a bad host to be with?
      0 Not allowed!

Well all that aside, managed.com is a killer domain name.

BTW, Simpli-Erica, a well written article.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

As i did understand Managed.com got investment from Colages ,that managed by Managed.com team , LETS hope that this time MANAGED.COM WILL STAY MANAGED.COM and will not be sold to Sagonet.com.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Curto
    So SAGO is a bad host to be with?

Not bad at all

And you know even if one day Managed.com will move to Sagonet DC ,it will be just fine incase the prices will stay like now
      0 Not allowed!

Oh yeah, especially since everything including the business model and selling at prices which WONT make profit - yeah - thats a reason to stay in business - to lose money.

Not.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Dediroof
    Not bad at all

And you know even if one day Managed.com will move to Sagonet DC ,it will be just fine incase the prices will stay like now
    If I were looking for a budget server, I'd rather rent from a provider like Rackshack or ServerMatrix because I know neither of them are going anywhere.

I wouldn't want to risk having all my servers moved to Florida, being forced to change IP addresses, having to explain the 1-day-plus downtime to my customers...

There are plenty of budget providers out there that aren't as "iffy" as this one.

-Erica
      0 Not allowed!

Not bad at all

If you want Sagonet, why not go with sagonet now?

Why are you defending a company that sells out every couple months and the owner does this so he can make a quick buck, and then just throw everyone to another company ACROSS THE COUNTRY
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Mrdredd
    If you want Sagonet, why not go with sagonet now?

Why are you defending a company that sells out every couple months and the owner does this so he can make a quick buck, and then just throw everyone to another company ACROSS THE COUNTRY

Look ,Who knows ,maybe this time it will be stable and good and will not be moved.

We have to see how the things going ,what people that ordered from them say and then make more decisions
      0 Not allowed!

Very well written piece Simpli-Erica...Articles like this are certainly a service to the community here.
      0 Not allowed!

Look ,Who knows ,maybe this time it will be stable and good and will not be moved.
    Ohhh..... just like THE OTHER 2 TIMES

Yeah, I guess MAYBE this time it will be "stable and good".

Just admit it, the only reason your sticking up for them is because of the CHEAP prices and because you only want to spend $50 max for the world and full featured
      0 Not allowed!

Just admit it, the only reason your sticking with them is because of the CHEAP prices and because you only want to spend $50 max for the world and full featured

Yes Its true! 55$ is great for all what they provide....
    but stilll lets see what people that order from them will say....
      0 Not allowed!

Just admit it, the only reason your sticking up for them is because of the CHEAP prices and because you only want to spend $50 max for the world and full featured
    Or maybe he's a secret affiliated poster trying to drum up sales/publicity?
    Charnell Lucich
    Community Engagement Manager
    Rackspace Hosting
    http://community.rackspace.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by sassSE
    Or maybe he's a secret affiliated poster trying to drum up sales/publicity?

Yes i am a Top Secret Agent of Managed.com!

LOLOLOL!!
      0 Not allowed!

I think this managed.com story will take a while before settling on WHT because:

1. Prices for the services proived are insane and hard to believe

2. People will wait to get more information unfold from other members who order from managed.com

I personally want to know if there are any tricks or fraud involved here?

May be (I hope it is true) managed.com just found a way of doing business which others have not discovered yet?

Btw,

their onetime additional hardware prices
    AND
    Back-up prices are also the lowest I have seen around...just insane I guess.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
    Last edited by rickkumar; 11-13-2003 at 03:39 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I saw few guys already done order ,guys from WHT ,lets wait for there's reviews!
      0 Not allowed!

Dediroof, you have a server there?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by rickkumar

May be (I hope it is true) managedcom just found a way of doing business which others have not discovered yet?

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    Dediroof, you have a server there?
    No
      0 Not allowed!

His new tagline is:

Our servers are VERY fast ! In fact, they can reach Mach II (when we ship them to florida by jet).
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by alex-info
    His new tagline is:

Our servers are VERY fast ! In fact, they can reach Mach II (when we ship them to florida by jet).

LOL
      0 Not allowed!

a-m from this forum orderd today server from MANAGED.COM ,he should have it soon and hopefully we will see some reviews soon
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast