Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unlimited Subdomains = Unlimited Websites

I see some web hosts offering unlimited subdomains. Does that mean I can sign up for one domain and create unlimited subdomains based on one domain.

cars.domain1.com
    autos.domain1.com
    wheels.domain1.com

This means I can have unlimited websites with just one domain? Seems like a nice deal for under $10 a year.

They will actually refer to that as unlimited add on domains actually.

Quote Originally Posted by oceans View Post
    I see some web hosts offering unlimited subdomains. Does that mean I can sign up for one domain and create unlimited subdomains based on one domain.

cars.domain1.com
    autos.domain1.com
    wheels.domain1.com

This means I can have unlimited websites with just one domain? Seems like a nice deal for under $10 a year.
    Yes that is correct, however if they are only charging you $10.00 per year, I would question the legitimacy of the company. How much disk space and bandwidth are they offering you? Keep in mind, the amount of websites you can host on your account, will depend on how much diskspace and monthly bandwidth you are being allotted.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Keep in mind, the amount of websites you can host on your account, will depend on how much diskspace and monthly bandwidth you are being allotted.
    Exactly, "unlimited" in this connection is mostly understood as within those constraints set by your chosen plan as opposed to "unlimited space & bandwidth", where the constraints are set in the TOS, and often at will.

Are you limited by inodes?

Whats the CPU/RAM limits?

Whats their TOS to regards of their service?

You have to factor all this in...
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

can you give an example of a company thats doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NTS View Post
    This is not correct; while an add-on domain may work similarly to a subdomain it needs proper registration and is just that, an additional domain in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_NTS View Post
    Incorrect, subdomains are 1.xyz.com, 2.xyz.com, and 3.xyz.com actually. In a way it would be unlimited sites but not exactly since they use the same top domain. People don't use that many subdomains in my experience.

How much disk space and bandwidth are you getting for $10/year?

Wow, 2 correcting responses you guys run in packs - actually just read wrong, still waking up here *yawn*

Of course, parent domains require registration and many hosts will let you have an unlimited number of both parent and sub domains depending on the plan type.

cars.domain1.com
    autos.domain1.com
    wheels.domain1.com

That is correct.

But $10 a year is extremely cheap and probably unreliable.
    HostMonkey | Your kingdom starts here. (tweet us @HostMonkeynet)
    Affordable and Reliable Shared Hosting, VPS Servers, and Dedicated Servers
    OpenVZ, SolusVM CP, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7x365 Support
    Server Reseller Program: significant discounts, to increase your profits!

Quote Originally Posted by amaZe View Post
    That is correct.

Agreed. The price must be some sort of limited time special or something.

Then again, I have seen hosts advertising on eBay for $5 for 5 years, so...
    SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup

Quote Originally Posted by amaZe View Post
    That is correct.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the domain was for under $10. The host will probably run under $10 per month.

But this still means I can sign up for one domain, sign up for one host provider and have several independent websites. So for less than $11 per month, I can have a website about tires, a website about wheels, a website about cars, a website about music, etc. Still seems like a pretty good deal.

Am I missing something here? It seems too good to be true.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the domain was for under $10. The host will probably run under $10 per month.

But this still means I can sign up for one domain, sign up for one host provider and have several independent websites. So for less than $11 per month, I can have a website about tires, a website about wheels, a website about cars, a website about music, etc. Still seems like a pretty good deal.

Am I missing something here? It seems too good to be true.
    Not too good actually. When you register a domain, you are told what kind of business you are targetting. example: www.cars.com can't be used as your personal blog. You can have subdomains describing different aspects of a car only here.

In most cases, You can't successfully market the subdomains independently. You can make a strong identity for the main domain, and subdomains would be some kind of part of it.
    Last edited by qtriangle; 07-28-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: small edit

Addon domains and subdomains are totally different things. So far I have only seen unlimited subdomains but not unlimited domains. Perhaps you can tell us where you saw the plan with unlimited domains. I would like to have a good look at it.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan View Post
    Addon domains and subdomains are totally different things. So far I have only seen unlimited subdomains but not unlimited domains. Perhaps you can tell us where you saw the plan with unlimited domains. I would like to have a good look at it.
    There are tons of providers who provide this.
    example:

http://www.fatcow.com/fatcow/fatcow.bml?page=features
    http://www.bluehost.com/cgi/info/hosting_features
    http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

... and hundreds of others ...

Quote Originally Posted by GCM View Post
    Incorrect, subdomains are 1.xyz.com, 2.xyz.com, and 3.xyz.com actually. In a way it would be unlimited sites but not exactly since they use the same top domain. People don't use that many subdomains in my experience.?
    That is right. A lot of people think that unlimited subdomains mean new websites but they forget that you have to use the top level domain also. Subdomains are used most of the time by organizations to seperate departments. Example accounting.companyname.com.

Quote Originally Posted by GCM View Post
    How much disk space and bandwidth are you getting for $10/year?
    I would seriously consider this. You can have as many subdomains as you want to but if you do not have enough space what is it worth?

Quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qtriangle View Post
    Fatcow states that you can have unlimited domains and unlimited subdomains. Thus I can have two domains ($20) and one Fatcow account ($55) and run two independent websites. I might have to run one as an add-on domain, but either way I have two websites.

If I set up 10 sub-domains to each domain, I can have 22 unique pages, that possibly can look like independent websites (as viewed from the user).

I can put unique ads on those pages and it would appear to the user as unique websites.

Does this make sense?

It does make sense, and that's how it works. Just don't go with Fatcow. Hosting is terribly slow there, as is with Ipage. I expect that the other Endurance International Group hosts are just as slow: http://www.bbb.org/boston/business-r...gton-ma-76863/

Fatcow states that you can have unlimited domains and unlimited subdomains. Thus I can have two domains ($20) and one Fatcow account ($55) and run two independent websites. I might have to run one as an add-on domain, but either way I have two websites.

If I set up 10 sub-domains to each domain, I can have 22 unique pages, that possibly can look like independent websites (as viewed from the user).

I can put unique ads on those pages and it would appear to the user as unique websites.

Does this make sense?
    Going by your logic, you would consider a website having 10 pages, even without any subdomain, 10 different websites. Now does it make any sense?

Does this make sense?
    What exactly is your site about? Google isn't going to approve you for Adsense if you only have one page.

Also, that would not make sense if you had 22 unique pages for 10 subdomains. That would only be 11 per domain including the top level domain.

Like it was said above, if your only paying $10/year for your hosting, don't expect the best service...remember the old saying "You get what you pay for". 99% of the time, this is true.

Also if it says you can have unlimited subdomains, that means yes you can have unlimited sub domains but remember you can only host up to as much diskspace as you are allowed.
    Carolina-Host - The final stop for ALL your web site needs!
    US & EU Datacenters | 100% Money back Guarantee | 99.9% Uptime | Weekly Site Backups
    cPanel w/ Softaculous | Webalizer/Awstats | Site.Pro Website Builder | Lite Speed
    Poarch & Associates - Accounting, Tax Preparation, & Payroll Services since 1985

Just an idea. If you want web surfers to see each web page as a unique website, you can experiment by using an url forwarding service with cloaking. I haven't tried that yet so I cannot tell you the results for sure but I have tried it successfully for sub-directories.

cars.domain1.com
    autos.domain1.com
    wheels.domain1.com

yes yo can have all sub-domains you want. unlimited is just a term for companies to make sales. but remember is you put too many sub domains n your website is using too much resources they will ask you to move to a vps. have that in mind
    |>Serveion.com Web Hosting & Shoutcast.
    |>Multiple Domain Shared Hosting | Reseller
    |>Android Player With Your Shoutcast.
    |>24/7/365 Support | 99.9% Uptime |

I think you can safely put 20 subdomains without any problem. When your subdomains become really active, then you can consider moving them out to another shared plan

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Yes that is correct, however if they are only charging you $10.00 per year, I would question the legitimacy of the company. How much disk space and bandwidth are they offering you? Keep in mind, the amount of websites you can host on your account, will depend on how much diskspace and monthly bandwidth you are being allotted.
    If you have found a hosting company that can really offer that for $10, then I think you have found something none of us have

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast