Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Xtstrike had no right!

Xtsrike really had no right to close the thread. I think everyone knows what I'm talking about. He claims that bla bla bla people were just trying to increase there post count. They can do that anywhere in the lounge and not just the thread. Now he's probabley going to close this one because I'm bad mouthing him or whatever but he still had no right. That was a thread where a few of us could just go hang out and talk and know that a lot of the posts would only been seen by about 4 or 5 of us. Xtstrike, Chicken didn't have a problem with it. Nor did Matt F. So why did you? Jelous?
      0 Not allowed!

Did you email him to discuss this issue?

Just curious

Regards,
    Choon
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::
      0 Not allowed!

There is a thread on this already

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=28806
      0 Not allowed!

I would like to point out that in such an instance, please e-mail the moderator directly and ask politely why. As other moderators do not override others' decisions except in extreme circumstances and majority agreement, the thread will stay closed until further notice.

If you would like to vent, please do so in the thread one_web posted.
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by BC
    If you would like to vent, please do so in the thread one_web posted.
    Well being that Xtsrike of all people closed that thread, I guess this is the one to use now. I do agree that Xtsrike tends to go over board, but I can see that being a MOD your really forced to read through all the stuff. So what is the right answer? Who knows, maybe on issues like this, ALL MODS get together and make a desision. It was posted in the open area with no specific topics required. I would hope that this thread does not get deleted, because I think this should be discussed, not Xtsrike, but the topic of one MOD closing a thread, just because he doesn't like it.
    Thank You, Sesran
    www.Hostified.com - Web Hosting
    Offering Shared, Reseller & Windows Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Xtstrike had no right!
    I don't know what thread you're talking about, but considering he's a mod, he has a right to do whatever he wants.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Sesran

Well being that Xtsrike of all people closed that thread, I guess this is the one to use now. I do agree that Xtsrike tends to go over board, but I can see that being a MOD your really forced to read through all the stuff. So what is the right answer? Who knows, maybe on issues like this, ALL MODS get together and make a desision. It was posted in the open area with no specific topics required. I would hope that this thread does not get deleted, because I think this should be discussed, not Xtsrike, but the topic of one MOD closing a thread, just because he doesn't like it.
    If one's not willing to read all the threads in the chit chat forum, then perhaps that person shouldn't be a mod for it.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by yeswebmaster
    I don't know what thread you're talking about, but considering he's a mod, he has a right to do whatever he wants.
    Well, it isn't that he (or we) do whatever we want, it is that we try to do what we think is best. I had to take a mini-WHT-vacation (just busy here at the ranch), so I wasn't around for that thread in particular, but in any case, threads are closed for a reason, and if you ever don't agree, you are welcome to repectfully voice your opinon directly to either the mod who closed the thread, or to all mods, or matt or any combination of these.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

People did voice their opinion and this is what he said
    Hi, I have to reply just to calm things down.

Remember all of this you are arguing about is the closure of ONE thread that wasnt actually anything to do with web hosting. please just look at what you are getting irate about in perspective.

The only people getting annoyed here are the few people that posted bucket loads of times to the thread with meaningless messages.

Its not just the aspect of reading through it all, or any kind of "spam" aspect, its also because the thread was "CRAP", when I first looked at the thread I thought as many other mods and people did, you look at it, reply and your go is over, people went over the top and this huge thread kept bouncing back to the top of the board because of a few members that made sure it stayed at the top.

Let me tell you now, we have a split, you people want the thread open because you want to continue to blast it with meaningless posts, I also have on the other side a bunch of people that have PM'ed me saying the closure was a good choice, they messaged me AFTER the thread was closed.

Im not making you unhappy about WHT, im purely stating a fact that this board is about Web Hosting and general conversation in the "Lounge" your thread wasnt even "general conversation" because general conversation has a meaning to it.

Anyone that still has a problem can message me or the other mods in private, request my ICQ number from me in private if you feel it that desperate to talk about it.

Cheers

-XT

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by JustinK
    It was getting rather big... and it did take up some space. Did anyone actually read through the whole thing?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah... the moderators !!!!!!!! all god damn 800+ posts, grrrrr

hehe
    Do you think those are words a mod should be using? Well I'm not going to say anything else as he said he will close all threads that are started on this
    CLOSED - REPLY PRIVATELY AS I POLITELY ASKED.

IM NOT GOING TO ARGUE OVER THE MOST POINTLESS THREAD I HAVE EVER CONTENDED WITH - OPEN ANOTHER THREAD ON THIS AND IT WILL BE DELETED.

REPLY PRIVATELY OR REQUEST MY TELEPHONE NUMBER/ICQ NUMBER AND WE CAN TALK.
      0 Not allowed!

Not to start a war or anything, but coming from the other side I personally agree, and was glad to see it closed. Xtstrike in my opinion was just doing his job.

My 2 cents...
    Last edited by BravoComm; 12-22-2001 at 01:31 AM.
    Andrew Lee, President
    Bravo Communications LLC
    http://www.BravoCommunications.net
    "Talk is Cheap. Free Speech Isn't."
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by BravoComm
    Not to start a war or anything, but coming from the other side I personally agree, and was glad to see it closed. Xtstrike in my opinion was just doing his job.

My 2 cents...
    I totally Agree!

If you have nothing to say, do it in another place.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by yeswebmaster

Sorry but I don't agree. We speak had a thread, then he closed the thread. So we started another thread asking people what they thought of that decision and then he of all people closes that thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by netsolutions

Sorry but I don't agree. We speak had a thread, then he closed the thread. So we started another thread asking people what they thought of that decision and then he of all people closes that thread.
    Chris -- That's exactly the point. He's a mod, he can do what he wants and it doesn't matter what we think of it. Mods aren't elected, so popular opinion doesn't matter.

I bet if the other mods thought he were overstepping his bounds they would do something about it. Opening a thread about the closing of another thread, and this thread about the closing of that one just clutters things up more. I wouldn't be suprised if this one got closed and quite frankly it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Again, my 2 cents...
    Andrew Lee, President
    Bravo Communications LLC
      0 Not allowed!

I know xt personally.. and I don't see anything wrong with closing the thread. You guys are making a big deal out of a silly thread. I mean come on..

There are other people that want to post too, and it gets annoying when you come there days after days and its still at the top, with meaningless text.

I don't know why he would close the second thread though. Maybe he was closing it because you guys were taking things way too seriously, which some have displayed here in this thread alone..

Knowing xt i would assume that he just wanted you guys to cool off, or something like that, but really. let this go, its just a thread.

It's not the end of the world.
      0 Not allowed!

I get annoyed by some of WHT's members, but that doesn't mean I would support the censoring of those people. Supporting the censorship of something you don't like is different from censoring it because it is unacceptable.

And if a person isn't willing to read the threads he is moderating, then maybe he shouldn't be a mod any longer.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Skeptical
    And if a person isn't willing to read the threads he is moderating, then maybe he shouldn't be a mod any longer.
    YEAH!! What he said.
    Thank You, Sesran
    www.Hostified.com - Web Hosting
    Offering Shared, Reseller & Windows Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

I get annoyed by some of WHT's members...
    YEAH!! What he said.

(juuuuust kidding sheeeeesh, a joke people, ha ha ho ho heeee? )
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

And if people want to babble on about meaningless crap maybe they should start their own message board. The argument can be made both ways.

EDIT:

As for the "censorship" argument you may want to read SoftWareRevue's comments on the 1st amendment here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=28984

People don't have a "right" to post anything on a private message board.

Man, this isn't really a big deal... but for some reason I am compelled to reply when I see someone adamantly defending that stupid little thread. it was a thread people, come on! Rewdog, look what you started!
    Last edited by BravoComm; 12-24-2001 at 12:43 PM.
    Andrew Lee, President
    Bravo Communications LLC
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by BravoComm

And if people want to babble on about meaningless crap maybe they should start their own message board. The argument can be made both ways.

EDIT:

As for the "censorship" argument you may want to read SoftWareRevue's comments on the 1st amendment here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=28984

People don't have a "right" to post anything on a private message board.

Man, this isn't really a big deal... but for some reason I am compelled to reply when I see someone adamantly defending that stupid little thread. it was a thread people, come on! Rewdog, look what you started!
    And if I say your postings are stupid and crappy should you be censored too? That's my whole point. What floats your boat may not float mine. Many thought that one thread was fun. You didn't. So don't read it. It's not a matter of whether you think it was senseless fun or not, it's that we're allowed to have fun in here, harmless fun.

Every time someone replies with a smilie or a "thank you" isn't that considered crap too? What do they add in terms of reading material?
      0 Not allowed!

And if I say your postings are stupid and crappy should you be censored too?
    If you say it no. If the mods say it then absolutely. It is their job to keep this board free of what is deemed unnecessary. If I had a problem with it I could stop using the board or start WHTSucks.com (or something similar) in protest and say whatever I wanted. That site would be mine, this one however is not. Big difference.
    Andrew Lee, President
    Bravo Communications LLC
      0 Not allowed!

I don't know exactly what went on, but it seems some member are trying to have thread that's full of crap.

I think we and the moderators all have the collective responsiblity to keep the borad clean and useful.

Some might argue this imply censorship. So what, the board didn't promise free speech, just because most of us and the server are in US doesn't mean this is a public/completely-free board.

Also, anyone of us could potential contribute enough crap to fill the entire universe. But the point is: We don't. Just because you have too much time on your hand doesn't mean you should waste time/resources/bandwidth/storage or the free energy in the universe in general. I am sure there are some bugs in your site or a few ticket requests that you could better spend your time on.

Furthermore, consider other users: Everytime I visit a forum thinking there is a new and possibly exciting thread; or wait, its the same crap-thread again. It wastes my time.
    (disclaimer: I didn't actually visit this particular forum, but the idea is the same)

So, people, be a little more introspective of yourselves!

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ckpeter
    Also, anyone of us could potential contribute enough crap to fill the entire universe. But the point is: We don't. Just because you have too much time on your hand doesn't mean you should waste time/resources/bandwidth/storage or the free energy in the universe in general. I am sure there are some bugs in your site or a few ticket requests that you could better spend your time on.
    And if not, there are more appropriate places than a site called "Web Hosting Talk." AOL chatrooms, for example. The "content" of that thread would be very appropriate there.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.
      0 Not allowed!

Just sad, you people are acting like a bunch of four year olds who just lost their GI Joe action figure. It was a stupid thread and I am glad it was closed. Personally, I think the whole Lounge should go, it's such a pointless piece of trash that has no use. And "netsolutions" is just crying because he doesn't have a thread to boost his post count by 100 every hour. All you people complaining about that utterly stupid thread should get a life and forget about it.

xtstrike, you should close this stupid thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mindboggle
    xtstrike, you should close this stupid thread.
    That will just start an "xtstrike had no right to close the thread about the thread he closed about closing that other pointless thread" thread. ....

A different Mod should do it so the so it doesn't become more xtstrike censorship conspiracy theory fodder.
    Andrew Lee, President
    Bravo Communications LLC
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with you, but it would be funny to see the reaction if xtstrike closed it.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast