I realize it more or less depends on the clients you have but could someone give me an idea of:

1) the monthly transfer the average site uses
    2) the disk space the average site uses
    3) the mbps the average site uses

For number 2 above, I realize you can set the limits on the plan but how much space do sites "really" use? In other words, if someone wants a 100MB virtual site, how much of that will they actually use on the average?

Basically, what I am trying to determine is how much I can get out of a host box, how much bandwidth I need and what kind of connection will do the job.

There are so many plans out there and some of them look good on the outside but have clinchers if you exceed limits.

1) less than 1 gig, most 200 - 300 MB

2) usually 20% of the space they crave .. like 100MB .. they use 20 MB

3) humm, that is really proporcional to the bandwith, and the nature of the site .. this one can very allot

Hope this helped

Carlos
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

So I guess it is OK to offer more than you expect your clients will use - sort of like the airlines overbooking their flights.

The problem I am faced with being in Japan is that most hosting companies here offer unlimited monthly transfer. They have yet to learn. But do to the fact that it is almost the standard of the industry, I have to compete with that. I am not saying I will offer unlimited transfer but I need to keep this in mind when setting up plans. My competition has somewhat spoiled the local market.

Haa .. tought market hum ?, people are not aware of the fact there is no sutch thing as unlimited

Well, as anybody in this board will tell you, it's bad policy around jere to even advertise it, if it's a norm in your country, then maybe it's time to break it, or if you offer it .. good luck
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

Lightbulb

Well, I guess I can always compete using the Carlos Panel...

[Edited by Ron on 01-05-2001 at 09:35 AM]

Hehe

No it's not the Carlos Panel .. hehe, I'm just the desinger

I'ts Control Panel Alright .. or you can skin it and call it anything you whant
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

All we ask is that you don't skin Carlos!!!
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Talking

Originally posted by Ron
    The problem I am faced with being in Japan is that most hosting companies here offer unlimited monthly transfer. They have yet to learn. But do to the fact that it is almost the standard of the industry, I have to compete with that. I am not saying I will offer unlimited transfer but I need to keep this in mind when setting up plans. My competition has somewhat spoiled the local market.
    Almost the same..
    Here in my country Indonesia, 99,99% web hosting company offer unlimited bandwith. Yes because they know that on average their clients will not consume more than 1 gig data transfer.

In fact, if they found any sites that consume more than 2 gigs data transfer, they will kick it out from their server.

Then, if you could not offer "unlimited bandwith", you will not get any clients here in Indonesia

But I have one question:
    If we play "web hosting gambling game" ; we offer umlimited bandwith and then closed any sites that consume more than 3-5 gigs data transfer (of course with a classic reason: that site take a lot of CPU resources) and in the worst case that client contact our uplink provider (NOC), will your uplink provider suspend your dedicated box?

Thx.
    Soda