Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Rackster.com? Any reviews?

I was looking around at DataCenterMap.com and I found rackster.com for colocation.

I am just wondering, has anyone here ever used them or read reviews of them before?
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

They're new but pretty solid. They have good investors and competent management. Network includes Bell Canada and Cogent with some other upstreams coming online soon (6-month horizon). Good cooling, Cisco-based routing environment... I don't know what you need to know exactly I'd suggest you put in a call to them.

I think I will give them a call tomorrow. Does anyone else have any other reviews of them?

Caution about Rackster

Quote Originally Posted by WH-Coach View Post
    They're new but pretty solid. They have good investors and competent management. Network includes Bell Canada and Cogent with some other upstreams coming online soon (6-month horizon). Good cooling, Cisco-based routing environment... I don't know what you need to know exactly I'd suggest you put in a call to them.
    Rackster has some serious ongoing legal issues before the courts, mainly over ownership and control. One group of investors is seeking to possibly liquidate the company. You can imagine the nightmare scenario of having data and hardware at a co-location facility that may liquidate at any time.

In a nutshell, the short-term furture of Rackster is completely uncertain, and the long term is not even worth speculating about. The best way to describe its current status is "legal limbo."

For more details search BC Court Services Online or Canlii (keywork rackster).

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_tanks View Post
    Rackster has some serious ongoing legal issues before the courts, mainly over ownership and control. One group of investors is seeking to possibly liquidate the company. You can imagine the nightmare scenario of having data and hardware at a co-location facility that may liquidate at any time.

In a nutshell, the short-term furture of Rackster is completely uncertain, and the long term is not even worth speculating about. The best way to describe its current status is "legal limbo."

For more details search BC Court Services Online or Canlii (keywork rackster).
    Thanks for the info. Just looked them up on Canlii and I will not be going with them until they get this cleared up.

http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc...08bcsc267.html

Thanks again.

Wow, that is epic. I am especially flabbergasted at sections [5] and [18]

Not good...keep shopping.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

That CanLII doc is dated 03 March 2008. Is Rackster still occupying the property 15 months later ?

Landlord/Tenant disputes happen. Some Landlords like to play games and when you catch them, they (landlords) are not very forgiving. The fun starts when you, as the tenant, have to deal with their cheap and very inexperienced lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Jay View Post
    Thanks for the info. Just looked them up on Canlii and I will not be going with them until they get this cleared up.

Thanks again.
    That is not the case I was referring to, see "O’Brien v. Tarasenko" on Canlii. Just use keyword "rackster" and it should pop right up (docket #78673). It appears there are two warring groups trying to take over the company, and if neither side is victorious it means liquidation city here we come...

interesting - jeff_tanks...new user..two posts...both in this thread....

WH-Coach: what I find interesting is that you made a favourable comment about this company yet you seem to be unaware of the serious legal difficulties the company is under. The problems are serious enough as to potentially destroy it.

Yes, I have only made two posts... so what? I came across this forum and decided I had some relevant information to post so I registered and did, for the benefit of "AHN-Jay". I researched this company as a potential candidate to host a server cluster and what I learned about their legal issues eliminated them pretty quickly.

A good bit of advice to anyone... if somebody is negative about an outfit and you don't think it's deserved or credible then go do your own research...

I found the case you were referring to.
    http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc...8bcsc1294.html

I will definitely not be going with them now. Time to keep looking...

interesting - jeff_tanks...new user..two posts...both in this thread....
    Why not evaluate what he has to say first, before writing him off because he doesn't have a lot of posts?

As far as can be seen, the points he has made have been valid. If you have evidence of the contrary, feel free to contribute it.

Otherwise, if you have nothing to add to the discussion, refrain from commenting rather than denigrating others who actually have something to offer.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

WH-Coach: what I find interesting is that you made a favourable comment about this company yet you seem to be unaware of the serious legal difficulties the company is under. The problems are serious enough as to potentially destroy it.

Yes, I have only made two posts... so what? I came across this forum and decided I had some relevant information to post so I registered and did, for the benefit of "AHN-Jay". I researched this company as a potential candidate to host a server cluster and what I learned about their legal issues eliminated them pretty quickly.

A good bit of advice to anyone... if somebody is negative about an outfit and you don't think it's deserved or credible then go do your own research...
    I agree, new poster or not, your info could very well have saved OP a waking nightmare.

If anything, I would look slyward at WH-Coach's post painting them as very "solid". Not sure what the point of trying to call *you* out is. Given the documented legal facts concerning the company, I would say his post was very misleading, and taking into account the level of knowledge displayed about the company and equipment, one can only speculate....
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Quote Originally Posted by mugo View Post
    I agree, new poster or not, your info could very well have saved OP a waking nightmare.

If anything, I would look slyward at WH-Coach's post painting them as very "solid". Not sure what the point of trying to call *you* out is. Given the documented legal facts concerning the company, I would say his post was very misleading, and taking into account the level of knowledge displayed about the company and equipment, one can only speculate....
    I was wondering the same thing...
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Well, for one I'm a customer, I'm aware of the legal situation, and it frankly doesn't concern me because win or lose either side plans to continue operating the facility (not liquidate it as jeff_tanks says). A read of the documentation makes it clear that the battle is about ownership and falls into the space of securities law.

It's not really my place to bring all their dirty laundry to light so I didn't do it. I think people would be very surprised how many companies have skeletons like this hiding in their closets.

Well, for one I'm a customer, I'm aware of the legal situation, and it frankly doesn't concern me because win or lose either side plans to continue operating the facility (not liquidate it as jeff_tanks says). A read of the documentation makes it clear that the battle is about ownership and falls into the space of securities law.

It's not really my place to bring all their dirty laundry to light so I didn't do it. I think people would be very surprised how many companies have skeletons like this hiding in their closets.
    You can get the Statement of Claim for this case via BC Court Services Online for $6. Look under item 'M' where the plaintiff seeks a court order to dissolve and liquidate the company in the event one side fails to take over the other sides shares.

I don't think $6 is much to spend to get the "dirty laundry", especially when considering a facility to host $20K+ worth of hardware...

Why do you keep making such poorly informed comments, WH-Coach?

"...They have good investors..."

"...skeletons like this hiding in their closets..."
    Pretty public documentation to be considered " in the closet".
    Issues are one thing, on the verge of liquidation is another. Eluding to other companies having similar issues is strawman logic at best.

As for the "good investors" claim, I'll just let that be. No comment needed there.

Given their current position, they make an ill candidate for a stable hosting recommendation, IMHO.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Somebody complained that I have multiple accounts on this forum, I suspect WH-Coach may have gotten upset with me and did it. I've never registered an account on this forum before.

Some people are such poor sports...

Network includes Bell Canada and Cogent with some other upstreams coming online soon (6-month horizon).
    Forgot to point out that RACKSTER (AS40438) shows only a single peer network, "AS174 COGENT". That's according to robtex.com.

A single upstream isn't a good detail for your clients to know when you are selling services based on "security" and "uptime" and "redundancy." When you have just "one" of something, how exactly does failover work?

FYI: canhost (canhost.ca) is operated entirely from Rackster.

Rackster goes down... canhost goes down.

Forgot to point out that RACKSTER (AS40438) shows only a single peer network, "AS174 COGENT". That's according to robtex.com.

A single upstream isn't a good detail for your clients to know when you are selling services based on "security" and "uptime" and "redundancy." When you have just "one" of something, how exactly does failover work?

FYI: canhost (canhost.ca) is operated entirely from Rackster.

Rackster goes down... canhost goes down.
    I have decided to go with Neutral Data Centers Corp instead of Rackster. They seem much more reliable.
    http://www.neutraldata.com/