Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to block computer from accessing network completely...

Here's the issue - one of my roommates's girlfriend is leeching our internet daily. She has her own place but doesn't pay for cable/internet there because she gets it for free here. The router is a Linksys WGT624 v3 router. I've asked repeatedly for him to not allow this, but it continues, and I'm at my wit's end. My first thought was to disable the DHCP server and enable static IPs, but the roommate knows enough that he would probably be able to get around that. Looking at the administration area, I was able to restrict the WIRELESS access to specified MAC addresses, but she usually plugs in. Router can be changed or upgraded to accommodate me and my plans for it - but I need a resolution soon (today/tomorrow)

I basically need to know how to configure this router to either A)allow only specified wired mac addresses or B)disable network connectivity for a certain mac address OR I need to know of a router that can handle my requests..

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Kevin
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry to not jump on your side immediately but what is wrong with your roomates gf jumping on the web. It honestly sounds like you have bigger issues with her and or him than the network usage.

[theBleeber@wht01] ~ $ cat .signature
    cat: .signature: No such file or directory
      0 Not allowed!

Yes I do - Issues that in no way relate to the current problem at hand. Because it is a dually signed lease, I cannot kick him out, and nor can I leave the house. Therefore, she will be paying for her share of the bills or she will stop using them. She is not a casual visitor. She is here..every night...every day..taking showers, using my washer and dryer, and so forth. She has the apartment because her parents are paying for it.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with me, I need help with this. I have offered her plenty of chances to make agreements on utility usage and she has declined all. It is time to take action here.

If you don't want to help, that is fine. No further comments are necessary.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kvnband
    Yes I do - Issues that in no way relate to the current problem at hand. Because it is a dually signed lease, I cannot kick him out, and nor can I leave the house. Therefore, she will be paying for her share of the bills or she will stop using them. She is not a casual visitor. She is here..every night...every day..taking showers, using my washer and dryer, and so forth. She has the apartment because her parents are paying for it.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with me, I need help with this. I have offered her plenty of chances to make agreements on utility usage and she has declined all. It is time to take action here.

If you don't want to help, that is fine. No further comments are necessary.
    sounds like your just right. i wouldnt like that if someone done that to me
      0 Not allowed!

Linksys WGT624 v3?
    That model number appears to be Netgear, not Linksys..
      0 Not allowed!

I'm an idiot (I've been so tired lately). It is a netgear. My old Linksys died on me a couple of weeks ago and I had had it forever, so I guess I'm still referring to it. It is a Netgear router, but like I said - if it can't perform the required functions, I will spend money to get one that can.
    Kevin
      0 Not allowed!

Tried adding a route to the route table to null route the connection?

i.e.

192.168.0.5 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.254

That would simply bounce all traffic from 192.168.0.5 back to the gateway of 192.168.0.254 on your network (which doesn't exist - if it does you'd need to use a different IP for the gateway).

I can't see you being able to ban MAC addresses on a Netgear home router unfortunately ...

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).
      0 Not allowed!

I actually did think about that, but then didn't because the IPs are dynamic. Therefore, all it would require is a simple /renew and she'd be back on. Static IPs are out of the question because it's easy to get around....This is so frustrating. I just wish I didn't have to do this..
      0 Not allowed!

I dont see a way of doing this unless she has her own laptop or something she brings round.

If she does, then its simple. In you LAN settings on your NETGEAR admin panel, change the IP range your DHCP can distribute to ***.***.*.2 - ***.***.*.4 (if you have 2 computers) then when she connects her's up an ip wont be given unless the lease has expired on one of your machines.

Not sure if that will work, but thats the only way i know of.
    Woody
      0 Not allowed!

GENIUS! (Yes, she does bring her laptop..usually plugs in but sometime uses wireless..I've got the wireless blocked but not the wired)

I'll set reserved IPs for the 4 computers of the actual housemates..then I'll set the DHCP server to only give out those specific 4 IPs...so when she tries to connect, it will just sit in limbo forever...
    I think that should do it.
    Kevin
      0 Not allowed!

under specify mac addresses option u have in the CP
    check for something called like: General rule

choose ALLOW THESE ((or similar to this))
    and only enter the mac addresses for the machines u wanna ALLOW

so by default all other different mac addresse will not be allowed to even connect to the network
      0 Not allowed!

I looked for something like that, but my router does not have that setting. What L-A-N suggested is going to work beautifully.
    Kevin
      0 Not allowed!

Another solution would be to have your room mate pay for his guest.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Personally I'd add a reservation for the laptops MAC address and null route as I suggested above, else you will end up with constant broadcast traffic from the laptop as it looks for an IP. In actual fact a reservation will probably not be required since a Windows box will always request the previous address when renewing a lease.

Could just be me but unnecessary broadcast traffic is my pet hate and I do everything to get rid of it.

But in all honesty, playing clever games with a router isn't going to solve your problem. You need to stand up to it.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).
      0 Not allowed!

Well, it was stood up to tonight. He resorted to violence. I have a fractured wrist and he has a broken nose.....

I just told him that if she's going to act like she lives here, she needs to help out - just a teency weency bit......He threw a punch..didn't connect..I threw a punch..twice...it hurt, but it got the point across...
    I despise violence (but having boxing experience doesn't hurt)..UGH..so essentially nothing was accomplished tonight but having doctors bills...
      0 Not allowed!

Well, it was stood up to tonight. He resorted to violence. I have a fractured wrist and he has a broken nose.....

I just told him that if she's going to act like she lives here, she needs to help out - just a teency weency bit......He threw a punch..didn't connect..I threw a punch..twice...it hurt, but it got the point across...
    I despise violence (but having boxing experience doesn't hurt)..UGH..so essentially nothing was accomplished tonight but having doctors bills...
    I am surprised you didn't do it sooner.
      0 Not allowed!

Turn on WEP encryption if possible. It prevents people from logging on without typing a password (you have).

Sorry if this is a little too restrictive, thought it might help though.
    .: Poster powered by DataBeyond.com:.
    .: Web Design & Development | Identity & Print | Multimedia :.
      0 Not allowed!

He threw a punch? Time to kick him on out....personally, I'd have called the cops first.

As for WEP, I have no doubt the boyfriend would just give the pass to her, don't you think?
      0 Not allowed!

I'm out on Friday. I'm not going to jail over some crybaby ********. I'm leaving him to try to pay the rent by himself (not going to happen) and he'll have to move back with his parents.....

And the girlfriend is no longer coming over here because she's afraid I'll hit her because I hit him (??)

Anyway - problem solved. I'm moving in a week and I'll be happy.
    Kevin
      0 Not allowed!

Hospital bills, moving expenses, other expenses -- all over this???

What a joke. No, sorry, I should say: how sad....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Your roommate paid his fair share of rent. If I was your girlfriend, who was coming over everyday to take a shower and dry my hair, would you ask me to pay something to help over the bill? Have you ever consider the possible that maybe she was giving him some money so that he could help pay his half of rent?
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, I would ask.

Think about what you just stated - What if she was giving HIM money to cover HIS part of rent. How does that even affect me? It still makes my part of the bill go up. And he wasn't paying his part of the rent, claiming that I was cheating him on the bills (even after physical proof)

Yes, it is sad - there is no doubt. I tried to discuss it but that just didn't work.
      0 Not allowed!

Enable QoS?
      0 Not allowed!

I know this is a moot point now, but I'll add my 2 cents for future WHT search use. Null routes, MAC filtering, Static and limited IPs, WEP/WAP etc. are all good suggestions. I also see there was a problem where the roomate was possibly knowledgeable enough to turn off your "fixes." I would have suggested, after applying your new settings, changing the routers password.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
      0 Not allowed!

The router's password is complex. The 'fix' is that he could have looked at his IP settings and copied them to her computer, changing the last digit of the number, and gotten around it. We fixed this by only giving the router specific IPs to allow...
    Kevin
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast