Recommend what to do ..

Hi,
    Right now I'm with a reseller. We use around 50+ GB BW / month for the main site and the hosting accounts use around 10GB / month.

I'm sick of my reseller and think that its best for my community to move to semi-dedicated or dedicated.

I have no knowledge about root access and controlling a server. All I need is WHM / CPanel and I'm good to go.

The site is a high traffic site and the forums are pretty active. I do not want my site to shutdown because of "exceeding resources."

Please advise who to get and what action I should take.

how much are you willing to pay?
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

If you have no knowledge you will need either a managed server, or a server admin.

A server admin will cost atleast $100+/mont extra to hire one or a managed server will cost around $200-$500 depending on specs and management level.

Is there no way I can go semi-dedicated? What kind of help would I have to hire to get someone to manage a semi-dedicated server?

I'm not sure what the current rates are for dedicated, I still have to browse around, but I believe $200 - $500 / month is a bit excessive for my site.

semi-dedicated (VPS/VDS) is the same thing as a full dedicated except less resources and on a machine shared by others.

so yes, you would still need the same type of admin you would need for a full dedicated.

I would suggest you move somewhere that is semi-managed. That way they can keep up on the patches and other things that might need attention. Then hire someone for big tasks - such as securing the server. After that you can pretty much do the auto updates and not have to worry about much.

Originally posted by Testy
    If you have no knowledge you will need either a managed server, or a server admin.

A server admin will cost atleast $100+/mont extra to hire one or a managed server will cost around $200-$500 depending on specs and management level.

You can get good admins for 50-75
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Hi binchaud,
    Since you are using 10GB disk space now, I would suggest you:
    1. Share a server with another person
    2. Get yourself a dedicated server

From what I know, a 10GB diskspace VPS + WHM/cPanel is really costy and it is only a little bit cheaper than a dedicated server.

If I were you, I will look go for a P4 server. Nowadays, you can get good P4 servers easily between US$100-200/month. You can try managing the server on your own since you have cPanel on the server. Do some research in cPanel and I'm sure you will be able to catch up fast.

Hope that helps.
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, Telstra SGCS2 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup