Trademarking a GSP?

First question, if I were to open a game server provider (which I am in process of doing), would I have to also trademark the name or the domain name?

Second question, one of my friends opened a GSP before, and valve has requested to remove their software from his servers. Question to that, do I need to get the permission of valve to host their software on my servers making profit of it?

Please share your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEPEPSi View Post
    First question, if I were to open a game server provider (which I am in process of doing), would I have to also trademark the name or the domain name?

Second question, one of my friends opened a GSP before, and valve has requested to remove their software from his servers. Question to that, do I need to get the permission of valve to host their software on my servers making profit of it?

Please share your thoughts.
    Trade marking the name is fine. This should cover the domain too.

I've ran a GSP business before and Valve has never requested to remove game server files before.

If you are in the US you would have a service mark, since you are selling a service and not goods.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEPEPSi View Post
    Was he hosting pirate servers?
    I used to run the oldest commercial Mumble host.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJohnson View Post
    If you are in the US you would have a service mark, since you are selling a service and not goods.
    Is there any way I could register a service mark for my company?

Quote Originally Posted by fwaggle View Post
    Was he hosting pirate servers?
    No.

If you register your mark then you will be able to use the ® symbol. You probably don't need to do this though, read the FAQs at the USPTO for more info: http://www.uspto.gov/faq/trademarks.jsp#Basic001

To get registered, you would file an application through the Trademark Electronic Application System (http://www.uspto.gov/teas/e-TEAS/index.html).

Valve doesn't do that, lol... I've been in the GSP industry for years, there's also over 200 or so companies. You sure it was valve contacting him and not someone spoofing their email address?