Game Server Hosting Machine

Hello, I need help choosing the proper parts for a server hosting machine. My budget is under 1000$. I already have a 3U Case. How can I choose a proper Motherboard/CPU? Should I buy a Xeon Quad Or use a Intel Core2Quad or 2 Intel Xeon 3800DP. Please help me choose the proper CPU/Motherboard that can support DDR3 Ram. Thank You for your time.

Are you sure you want to use the 3U case, as it will add some to the colocation cost?
    Your budget will allow you to get a 1U Dell R210 with X3450 CPU, 4Gb RAM and 250Gb SATA HDD - a machine perfect for game server hosting. You will also get 3 years of warranty, with replacement on-site which will help you as you are going colo.
    << Please review signature guidelines >>

Should I purchase a server with 2 Sockets? So i can upgrade to dual quad core later on? Or one quad is enough?

That's up to you and your budget. You could take a look at the R410, which is a 1U chassis with dual sockets.

Hosting a dual cpu system will cost you more though, more power and more bandwidth. Compare that to getting a second single CPU-system and an additional 1U housing.

Pros with dual CPU - slightly cheaper hosting (rackspace cost) and license costs
    Cons with dual CPU - all your apples in one basket, disk I/O may need to be taken into consideration

About your question if one quad is enough - enough for what?
    << Please review signature guidelines >>

If your looking for something to hold a number of servers and have maximum performance, then of course you'll want the better hardware. A quad core is decent enough, however, I wouldn't settle with a dual core.

Dual Quad Core is the way to go if you have the budget.
    DDoS Protected Chicago and New York Virtual Private Servers with INSTANT setup!
    RAID-10 OpenVZ Virtual Private Servers with hundreds of OS templates!
    CometVPS.com - We're all about customer experience. Try us!