How does Google Pagerank help you?

My hosting website has a page rank of 6/10, which I would say is pretty good, but my website doesn't show up anywhere in the search results for terms like 'web hosting' etc.

How do you bring your website near the top? How does Fortunecity.com stay at #1?

So I'm not sure what effects Pagerank has. Could someone tell me what pagerank is good for in terms of our own business ventures?

Thanks.

I personally don't think it does help you unless you *are* at the top - it's a branding thing by Google and they are good at it. I believe the same about Alexa but others might disagree with me.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

Originally posted by niyogi
    I personally don't think it does help you unless you *are* at the top - it's a branding thing by Google and they are good at it. I believe the same about Alexa but others might disagree with me.

Roj
    In terms of google I have to agree, unless you aren't aiming to show up at the top of "web hosting"

If you are aiming general terms like "web hosting", PR6 won't help you much. (You shouldn't try if you don't have thousands of dollar to spend per month.)

I suggest you to target very niche terms to start.

I think it does not help us at all. Such PR rating may be useful if you are selling advertisements, for hosting companies like us, the position in the search is more important.

Pagerank, as I mentioned before, is a marketing ploy from Google. It just has no value. Type the keyword you want to be listed, and go a few pages deep, and you won't find your website unless you have crazy linking programs going on.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.