Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rackspace alternative with same level of performance and support?

I've been dealing with Rackspace regarding a managed server, but they want $400/month. I was hoping for $200/month or so.

Do you have any personal experience with a host that provides:

1) Super reliable mission critical managed server.
    2) Phone support for emergencies.
    3) Fast tech support.
    4) Reasonable price.

Personally, I've used Cartika before. They pretty much are the equivalent to RS from my experience. Toll free number, great support, h-sphere for clustering, and InterNAP bandwidth. however, at some points they are more expensive than RS

http://www.cartikahosting.com/Cartik...cated-Servers/

edit; Sorry, i just looked at your budget again. if this is so mission-critical, you might want to bring the big bucks to the table.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

servint

i have a large server with servint.com who are very very good. Completely managed service and really fast support.

Don't be put off by their website, if you do some research on google and here you will see that they have an amazingly solid reputation.

Hamish

Completely managed service and really fast support.
    They are managed to an extent but have never touted their service as 'fully managed', despite your claims.

Don't be put off by their website
    I personally am put off by the fact that they've had a 'new' site under construction for *years* now...when is that going to be released?

if you do some research on google and here you will see that they have an amazingly solid reputation.
    I wouldn't call it amazingly solid.

ServInt does *not* have a Rackspace style network by any means, despite what you may think, hamishrp.

They've had their share of network downtime and it surely didn't please their customers to say the least. Not so long ago they had only one upstream and were down for the better part of the business day due to a fiber cut. Fun, no? Even though they supposedly have redundancy now, their network still fails and when it does the downtime is usually to the extent of 30 minutes if not longer.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    Sorry, i just looked at your budget again. if this is so mission-critical, you might want to bring the big bucks to the table.
    Yes. I figure I need to step up my budget, but I want to be certain I'm getting the best bang for my buck.

Quote Originally Posted by elix
    They've had their share of network downtime and it surely didn't please their customers to say the least. Not so long ago they had only one upstream and were down for the better part of the business day due to a fiber cut. Fun, no? Even though they supposedly have redundancy now, their network still fails and when it does the downtime is usually to the extent of 30 minutes if not longer.
    Thank you for sharing the other side of the story. This is a deal breaker. I need something more RackSpace-ish.

Could you give us a little more information on what server specs are needed?
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

If you want reliability, RackSpace is the only way to go in my mind.

But for good prices, LayeredTech is great.

liquidweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by hamishrp
    i have a large server with servint.com who are very very good. Completely managed service and really fast support.

Don't be put off by their website, if you do some research on google and here you will see that they have an amazingly solid reputation.

Hamish
    you can say that again. Servint is very good, i am currently with them.

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    If you want reliability, RackSpace is the only way to go in my mind.
    Well, I'd say that's an opinion very much fused by how RackSpace is generally praised here, while very few have ever actually used them. Now I don't say they're bad, but I think much of their reputation here is very much due to populism.

As for what I'd consider premium hosters, Peer1 (yes, they do managed servers), Colo4Dallas and Carpathia Hosting are three names not to miss. Their prices are around the ones of RackSpace or abit lower or higher. However both are reliable corporate grade hosters. There's others too, but those two poped up into my mind.

Softlayer.com are meant to be VERY good.

Up your budget to $300 and you'll probably get something comparable, for $200 you aren't going to get far.

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    Softlayer.com are meant to be VERY good.
    Softlayer aren't a managed solutions provider, I really wish you'd stop making pointless posts, and stop breaking WHT rules.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    Softlayer aren't a managed solutions provider, I really wish you'd stop making pointless posts, and stop breaking WHT rules.

Dan
    Josh tends to post about what he doesn't know about.

That's a good point Rasbelin, very few have used RS and yet so many claim to love them and keep recommending them. I've never used them directly, but a friend has and to be honest, they really aren't fully managed for their pricing. Quite often they will not help you for 3rd party app. installs, optimization, etc. My definition of fully managed is that you never need root or superuser to get what you want done. And for how much they charge -- it's not worth it.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

rackspace alternative => hostway.com

<removed unnecessary size tags>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 07-13-2006 at 07:57 AM.

by the way rack space alternative will not
    have reasonable price (as rackspace it self)

You got it in one hitmeback. If you want any quality product then that's always going to cost a bit more than a basic hosting solution. It's a trade off at the end of the day, of cost against service

Those who want or need maximum support and minimum downtime will need to pay a little more, as it means having technical staff available to deal with the problems quickly. In my opinion RackSpace is worth paying that bit extra for.

Hostway is good, but I dont know if you can really compare it with rackspace. Verio is also good, but again it is also not cheap. Peer1 (Interland) can be cheaper than rs, but not quite as cheap as you would expect. I really cant recommend anything that cost half as much as rs and still provde the same support!
    Hosting Coupons: MediaTemple Recurring Discount, HostNine Offers and more..

for good support price has to high , true ...
    but as i have mentioned before in one post that there price is high because of there huge advertising compaigns , they have got their ads on every big site which is even sightly related to hosting stuff ...... from sourceforge to wired , from tophosts to WHT ....
    they must be spending hugemoney on these things which they can reduce atleast to 60% ,if they want to ; and this will significantly effect their prices.

My friend runs a company called PhenomINET that would probably be able to do what your looking for. They are very service oriented just like rackspace, and i think they have better prices. Do a google search it should come up.
    Cheap and reliable web hosting solutions:
    www.echicagohost.net

Quote Originally Posted by hitmeback
    for good support price has to high , true ...
    but as i have mentioned before in one post that there price is high because of there huge advertising compaigns , they have got their ads on every big site which is even sightly related to hosting stuff ...... from sourceforge to wired , from tophosts to WHT ....
    they must be spending hugemoney on these things which they can reduce atleast to 60% ,if they want to ; and this will significantly effect their prices.
    Actually, a lot of these "bigger" companies get free web hosting from rackspace in exchange for the advertising.

Do you think webhostingtalk (these forums) puts the big "Powered By Rackspace" logo at the top and bottom of every webpage because they are simply nice?

As far as finding something better then rackspace, we have used them for years and have not found a better solution for our clients who need "mission critical" managed hosting.

Yes, they cost a lot. Yes, in this case you get what you pay for.

We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy
    we have used them for years and have not found a better solution for our clients who need "mission critical" managed hosting.
    i never doubt it
    Last edited by hitmeback; 07-05-2006 at 12:18 AM.

So after all these posts, what's the best alternative to rackspace?

Of course, many hosts offer top notch services, but generally what's the most popular one after rackspace? (most of us know Pepsi stands after Cocacola right?)

Another report from the field...

Personally, I'm really drawn by the Rackspace pitch. Paying for a quality host really does save you money.

As example, my server is down right now (at another host, not RS), so I'm getting no work done this morning. If you add up those kind of time losses, and add them to the server fees, the cheaper hosts really aren't cheaper.

But...

I tried Rackspace for a month a few years ago. They gave me a control panel that required lots of Unix skills. Why would you give this kind of control panel to someone who is buying managed hosting?? I couldn't do simple things like create domains and email addresses. And the support tech they gave me couldn't keep the thing running either. True story.

I will say the overall support response was excellent. The top support manager called me proactively repeatedly. She chased me, rather than me chasing her. Have never seen that anywhere else. Excellent effort on her part.

They tried to give me another control panel, again going the extra mile, but it was experimental (as they indicated it would be) and it was just plain broken. A for effort, D for results.

After a month of good faith effort by all, and just too many troubles, I requested a refund, which was given promptly with no quarrel or problems.

That was about 3 years ago. Recently I decided to give them another try, but was put off by Rackspace's Used Car Lot style of turkish rug merchant secret price haggling sales system. To me, that style of selling communicates they are happy to gouge me if they can, and that's just not the kind of corporate culture I want to make my business dependant on.

The best I can offer is that if you don't mind their sales philosophy, it might be worth a try to give them a try for a month, and see what happens.

I don't have a list of alternatives, sorry.

I'd be interested in any Liquidweb vs. Rackspace comparisons.

Anybody used them both?

LiquidWeb doesn't have a fast ticket response time (it can take hours), however they will of course answer their phone 24x7 and resolve any issues mentioned there ASAP. Their network has been down in the past and they are by no means 100%. LiquidWeb is also much cheaper than Rackspace so I'd say that 'you get what you pay for' applies to this comparison. Rackspace does offer very good support and their network offers consistently great performance...Rackspace > LiquidWeb, if you are willing to spend the extra $$$.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast