Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry What is going on?

I'm a rookie webmaster, and I need some help! I have changed my dns numbers days ago (5). My site has migrated on everyone else's computer but mine? When I ping my ip address I get the old ip address. When anyone else pings my ip address they get the new one. I've turned of the dns clients in the services of my control panel. I've deleted all of my cookies and temp files in my internet options. Still nothing. My isp checked the site from their computers and they get the new one? Can anyone help me?

Dont sweat it.. its probably that your particular network just hasnt updated its DNS yet, give it 2 or 3 more days...

I agree.

It usually takes 48-72 hours for DNS propagation to go through.

If you also take into account your individual ISP's network, cache, etc.... it can take longer.

lol you may also want to make sure you didn't choose a Cogent provider, while you have an AOL, RoadRunnner, or TImeWarner connection.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

We had a client not being able to access his site for 13 days, apparently his isp only updates their dns every 2 weeks
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Originally posted by Myacen
    We had a client not being able to access his site for 13 days, apparently his isp only updates their dns every 2 weeks
    Thats just sad, and wrong, DNS should be updated atleast every 3 days, anything longer than that is to long in my opinion.
    LipWeb.Net
    "Less Lip More Service"
    Providing Quality Hosting at Fair Prices
    AIM: LipWebNet MSN: daniel[at]lipweb.net [color=red]

yep, and unfortunately the customer looks to us for answers, on something that is on their ISP's end....sometimes even blame us.
    avidInteractive

Originally posted by idoogleceo
    . . . . . .sometimes even blame us.
    Sometimes??
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

DNS should be updated atleast every 3 days, anything longer than that is to long in my opinion.
    I think it should be even shorter than that. Changes at the registrars should be sent out right away and each server should send out updates every 6 hours. That gives it enough time to go around in about a day or two, tops.

Man, do I hate this scenario. There's an ISP in Boston that shall go unnamed that routinely slacks off on updating DNS. The result is that we can usually expect people using them to not be able to view their sites that are hosted with us for up to 2-3 days after the changes seem to have propagated everywhere else.

It's like clockwork, and so irritating. So now when someone in the Boston area submits a ticket flipping out about propagation, the first question is "Who is your ISP?", instead of what we used to do which was fall all over ourselves and scramble to find out what the heck was up. We've had 3 like that in the last month.
    Applimetrix Web Systems
    Serious Hosting Solutions
    http://www.applimetrix.com/

operating system?...

my isp updated everything! still nothing. They think it's the new service pack of windows xp? Is this possible? I need to know from professionals before I erase my hard drive. And reformat it without the New service pack. Microsoft has a community in which they post problems. Several people it seems have this trouble with the new internet explorer? Help! It has been 5 days!!!!!!

That sounds slightly flaky to me. I can tell you that a lot of ISP's will routinely say that it's not on their end (even if it is). Don't do anything to your computer yet. I'd give it a little more time to sort itself out.

What is your url, if you don't mind me asking?
    Applimetrix Web Systems

my url is www.apparelpro.com. Everyone even on my isp can see my site but me. if you ping the address you'll probably get 64.247.31.223, i get 64.127.197.195.????

Yup my old ISP claimed it wasn't their fault yet everyone else had no problems getting to my new host. Funny thing was after I sent them an email explaining to them I wasn't their everyday idiot customer it started pointing to the new site...

Oh well, I've noticed Ameritech is really quick changing nameservers. Like 6 hours...

aol, ameritech, time warner and road runner all seem to view my site fine.

I got 64.247.31.223 . Have you been able to positively verify that people using your same ISP can see the new IP address, or is it just your ISP saying that? If it's the latter, I wouldn't buy into it so much.

If not, and you have friends in the area or whatever who use the same ISP and that can see the site, and you've rebooted, cleared your cache, cookies, temp internet files, and everything else you can think of, try shutting everything down and unplugging your cable modem (if that's what you use) for a minute. Turn it all back on and see if there has been a change.
    Applimetrix Web Systems

WHOA! calm down.....lol no formatting young Danielson.

This is probably NOT likely.

First of all, the only way DNS is even remotely related to your OS, is

1. Through your ISP (which makes it their fault again )
    2. The network you are connected to (also your ISP)
    3. The IP of your own computer.

Now, as far as the new IE..... They seem to have a new security encyption that many people have reported, is messing up their normal browsing habits, etc.....

However, for some reason, I wouldn't want to base the problem on that. I would first check with those that are able to get the new site, and see what browser they are using to access it.

See, it has been my experience that ISPs are not always truthful about this. Not to mention that some of these techs you talk to from an ISP, are nothing more than glorified customer service agents, that really have no clue what you're talking about.
    avidInteractive

Exactly.
    Applimetrix Web Systems

btw.... a sure investigative approach would be to contact someone else that uses the same ISP as you, to see if they get the old or new site.

Since everyone else seems to get the new site, this should tell you right away if it's your ISP.
    avidInteractive

My DNS updates every day... it isn't that hard to do :-/ The ISP my sister has not only updates their DNS every 20 million years, but their DNS goes down completely every other week for hours on end. At least your DNS is up

Imagine my surprise, when my inbox had a message that said,

"Jesus has replied to a thread you have subscribed to......"

But Jesus is also correct. Some ISP's such as the dialup account I have at home, is a piss poor excuse for an ISP. They once wanted me to remove my network card and the drivers for it, when I called them and told them that I got a busy signal ALL DAY LONG. After telling them I don't have a Win98 CD to re-install them, they said, "That's ok" My prompt reply, "Are you insane?" Then they tried to balme it on my our phone company, etc.....
    avidInteractive

just reformatted my wife's hard drive who was seeing the old site as well. don't worry she's not that mad. still not the os. now my isp says it still not them. i'm like who the hell can it be then? it may take 2 weeks they said. they update every 48 hours. i'm trying to run a business here.

Does anyone else have to publish using frontpage through ftp? with multiple domains i guess you have to, correct. why am i getting a 553 error, unable to open that location? i can atleast publish my site to the new servers and check the temp site, but i'm getting some dumb errors. nothing works. does anyone have service or products that actually work anymore? i'm glad i sell t-shirts!

Ok well the 553 error leads me to believe that this particular instance would be on the part of your host.

This particular error can result from certain settings that you host has.

What OS is your host running? Linux, Win?
    avidInteractive

linux, why can i just atleast post to my temp site?

using cpanel in the file manager when i see the files that it has created before the error occurs their permission is 755. but when i click on them to change it they come up 550. is this the problem?

well....lol 550 permissions, only allows for group and owner read, and execute.

550 permission completely turn off any public access to the files.

I would try changing the permissions to 644 at the very least. See if that helps eliminate the problem with the error.
    avidInteractive

as for my other site viewing problem...

i disabled all of my dns caching and still the old site!!! My isp or me?

they all do have 755 and 644 permissions. it's just when you click change permissions i guess the default brings up 550, no matter what you had before.
    Last edited by Crichardson; 02-28-2003 at 06:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast