* Import Emails from Opera to Thunderbird

Preface: I used Opera for a week while I tried to figure out why FF crashed on me all of a sudden. I also used the built-in email client for Opera, which downloaded all my email to my hard drive.

When I was finally able to fix FF and wanted to go back to FF & Thunderbird for web/email, I was faced with a problem - Thunderbird can only import email from Outlook, Eudora, Communcator, and Outlook Express.

After doing a little digging on Google, and using the old noodle, this is what I came up with, and it worked a treat

===== WARNING: BACKING UP YOUR EXISTING EMAIL (IF YOU HAVE ANY) IS A VERY GOOD IDEA. I CANNOT GUARANTEE THIS WILL WORK FLAWLESSLY FOR YOU =====

Opera Version: 9.02
    Thunderbird Version: 1.02
    I also want to add that in Opera I had my email filtered by address, which made this very easy for me to import the right emails to the right address within Thunderbird.

In addition, I had only one profile in Thunderbird.

Lastly, I already had the email accounts set up in Thunderbird that I wanted to import emails for before starting this process.

1. For each filter, right-click on the name and select "Export". Save the .mbs file to a folder on your computer.
    1a. Copy the .mbs file (Click on the file and then Ctrl+C) [This part is optional but made things go faster for me]

2. Navigate to C:/Documents & Settings /<user name>/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/<profile name>/Mail (where <user name> is the username for your windows login, and <profile name> is the profile name in Thunderbird)

3. Find the email account folder you're importing to, eg mail.something.com and go to the "Inbox" folder

4. Create a folder with .sbd as the suffix (eg, importedmails.sbd)

5. [Copy/]Paste the .mbs file and rename to filename.msf (eg, importedmails.msf)

6. [Copy/]Paste the .mbs file again and rename to filename (no file extension, eg importedmails)

It's important that in steps 4,5, and 6 you use the same name for all 3. So if you start with funstuff.mbs, you should have funstuff.msf, funstuff.sbd, and funstuff in the same folder when you're done.

I hope this helps someone else looking to import their emails from Opera to Thunderbird
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>
      2 Not allowed!

Very good info.......I hope someone makes use of it

Thank you my friend

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!
      1 Not allowed!

I had to do this a few months ago when I started to get sick of Opera's email program. I am sure a lot of people will find your tutorial useful.
    He arose!
      1 Not allowed!

OH, yeah if anyone is out there don't upgrade to Netscape 8.0 b/c it isn't an e-mail client. I have know people to upgrade to this thinking they could import their address book and they lost everything with the upgrade. FYI.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick
      1 Not allowed!

thanks for that info, it could be useful one day, there's no problem with my email on Opera 9.10 , beside I just use an gmail as a POP 3 mail and the original mail still exist on my inbox
      1 Not allowed!

Talking Gmail is the Answer

So many businesses are running on gmail. It's the office pop3 upgrade and widely used by many people in/out of business.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick
      1 Not allowed!

Thanks for the tip. I've always been a Mozilla user but I can't help but to explore once in a while using other browsers just to get a load of how other browser works.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>
      0 Not allowed!

Does this info still apply? Can this be done with any web-mail system, like gmail or AOL? I have a whole bunch of emails on my private AOL account and I would like to download them to my local drive.
      0 Not allowed!

RE:

Quote Originally Posted by newsuperhost View Post
    Does this info still apply? Can this be done with any web-mail system, like gmail or AOL? I have a whole bunch of emails on my private AOL account and I would like to download them to my local drive.
    Yes I know because I just spent the last 2 hours looking for it. AOL is better for it than gmail since gmail tends to block accounts for over-activity but AOL tends to be more liberal.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the detailed information..
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the info..
      0 Not allowed!

Tnx. Very good info
      0 Not allowed!

Since the thread is many years old, perhaps it no longer needs "thanks".
    Your one stop shop for decentralization
      0 Not allowed!