Beat This Price?

http://www.colomachine.com/Colomachine-50B.htm

Does anyone know a company that can beat $399 for that machine?

I'll be ordering a couple off the bat.

Talk to Brian at rackmountsetc.com (sales@rackmountsetc.com) keep talking to him and eventually you might be able to get him under that price

But keep in mind that price isn't everything, I have one of the colomachine.com machines, and I honestly was not impressed, compared to the rackmountsetc machines.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

What is the advantage of rackmounts boxes over colomachines?

rackmounts are built better, they are more customized, better cooling...also you can get the 14" deep (half deepth) 1U that is equal to the full 1U that colomachine sells.

Colomachine.com's are just poorly built, they come with a white cdrom in a blackcase, I mean, how tacky is that?

Either way, I stress tested both and rackmounts' were just better, also the difference of quality hardware vs. whatever they could get cheapest.

If i'm mistaken the colomachine.com's come with 1.3celeron but the motherboard only supports 1.2 so they underclock them
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media

What the hell for real?

They underclock their CPUs?

How accurate is that information?

If thats true theyre off my list as far as the celerons go.

Ask them (if they wil tell you..) the version of the motherboard they use, it's a MSI if i'm not mistaken but I can't remember the model #, than check the site for that motherboard, and it'll list max CPU at like 1.2ghz. they advertise a 1.3ghz, hence to make the cpu work on the motherboard, they would have to underclock it.

I could be wrong, but on the unit I had, this seemed like a legit claim.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media

Try this guy. They made all the server for Hotmail

John Wu
    Sales Manager
    King Star Computer, Inc.
    1259 Reamwood Avenue
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    TEL: (408) 736-8590
    FAX: (408) 736-4151
    john@kingstarusa.com
    www.kingstarusa.com

I contacted colomachine and received the following:

"No, they are running on Celeron at both 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz processing speed."

and

"I don't know where you get the false information. It is not true that you
    need to lower the speed of the CPU. You can confirm this fact from MSI.
    They should be able to tell you more technical detail about their product.

http://www.msicomputer.com

Jack Lee
    ColoMachine "

I'll order a bunch and see how they work out

Interesting, well I'll have to speak to my source and see who is giving the false information. When you get your machines, let me know what model they are. I'd be interested in finding out again...I'm no longer with the company of which I purchased the test colomachine.com server for, so I can't know for sure.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media

If a motherboard only supports up to a 12x multiplier, and you get a cpu that required a 13x multiplier...it should either not work at all, or work fine. The cpu will force the multiplier, you can't choose a different one.

Just checked their site...looks like they're the only ones to support RadHat Linux. Now, that's rad!

Originally posted by LinuxRigs
    Just checked their site...looks like they're the only ones to support RadHat Linux. Now, that's rad!
    I thought it was RootHat?

Originally posted by nickn
    rackmounts are built better, they are more customized, better cooling...also you can get the 14" deep (half deepth) 1U that is equal to the full 1U that colomachine sells.

Colomachine.com's are just poorly built, they come with a white cdrom in a blackcase, I mean, how tacky is that?

Either way, I stress tested both and rackmounts' were just better, also the difference of quality hardware vs. whatever they could get cheapest.

If i'm mistaken the colomachine.com's come with 1.3celeron but the motherboard only supports 1.2 so they underclock them
    Man, you are full of it. Did you really use Colomachine’s 1U server before? Every server I got from them is in top quality and shape. The server CDROM are in black color as shown on their website.

The only problem I have with them is getting them to ship my servers faster.

Interesting, well I'll have to speak to my source and see who is giving the false information. When you get your machines, let me know what model they are. I'd be interested in finding out again...I'm no longer with the company of which I purchased the test colomachine.com server for, so I can't know for sure.
    I thought so..

Who gives a crap what color a cdrom is, specially if your just looking for something cheap and decent quality/parts. Its not like your buying a new car where everyone can see it, things are sitting in a datacenter where hardly anyone can see them.

More to the point, I don't ever ship servers with CD-ROMs in them.

hostpak,

yes I have used colomachine's servers before, as well as servers from numerous other sources.

Unfortunately I can't provide pictures as I'm no longer physically close to them, however I can say the first issue I had with them is they took much longer than any of the other vendors, and in the end with shipping, they weren't cheaper. Second issue was the fact that it was DOA when first arrived, so I emailed customer service and never received a response. After a few hours of playing with it I was able to find out what caused it (loose cable) and get it to boot up, only to find that it was two 256mb chips of RAM (lame.) and a MSI motherboard that like I said, only supported the 1.2ghz

Not to mention the white CDROM, which I still to this day believe is overly tacky, nothing that's going to influence the performance of the server, however it's not what I would want in my datacenter..

If you like ordering from someone who literally sees you as a number, cuts corners everywhere possible in order to provide you with the lowest prices, and in the end does provide you with low prices than go with colomachine....

On the same token, I wouldn't be caught dead with breadracks and towers

hostpak,

yes I have used colomachine's servers before, as well as servers from numerous other sources.

Unfortunately I can't provide pictures as I'm no longer physically close to them, however I can say the first issue I had with them is they took much longer than any of the other vendors, and in the end with shipping, they weren't cheaper. Second issue was the fact that it was DOA when first arrived, so I emailed customer service and never received a response. After a few hours of playing with it I was able to find out what caused it (loose cable) and get it to boot up, only to find that it was two 256mb chips of RAM (lame.) and a MSI motherboard that like I said, only supported the 1.2ghz

Not to mention the white CDROM, which I still to this day believe is overly tacky, nothing that's going to influence the performance of the server, however it's not what I would want in my datacenter..

If you like ordering from someone who literally sees you as a number, cuts corners everywhere possible in order to provide you with the lowest prices, and in the end does provide you with low prices than go with colomachine....

On the same token, I wouldn't be caught dead with breadracks and towers
    Man, you need to show people facts not your opinions. I did some checking and here is what I found.

1. The MSI motherboards (MS-6368) do support 1.3Ghz or 1.4Ghz Celeron processors with Tualatin core. What you are talking about is Intel Celeron processors with Coppermine core. I confirmed with Colomachine that every $399 unit shipped is based on Intel Celeron processor with Tulatin core.

MSI-6368 Support List
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...ail.php?UID=21

2. As for customer service, they always promptly answered my e-mail. However, it does not mean that I always get what I wanted. (Ship my orders faster).

We ordered in the early days, however our 1.3ghz only ran 1.2ghz, period end of discussion regarding that, it also had a white cdrom, you claim they ship black.

As for number two, I simply didn't get a reply, how you are going to debate this with me, I'm not sure, so please just don't bother.

I was one of the first orders colomachine had back in the day when they went live. I haven't used them lately, maybe they got their game together.

Why would I lie? I have no financial or otherwise interest in any hardware suppliers, nor do I currently use any hardware suppliers who would even remotely be in the same market as colomachine (I use quality hardware, kthnx.)

Anyhow, this thread is going nowhere other than you producing completely non valid claims as there is absolutely no way you can tell me what hardware configuration I received.

Unless you can show otherwise (break into the datacenter and examine it?) please lay back on the alligations.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=colomachine

You know, since I have such a motive to hate on colomachine for going on 3 months now.

This is a little better documented thread regarding colomachine.

Anyway, it seems others haven't had problems, maybe mine was a one time thing, however I never did receive a response to my RMA on the DOA.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media

We ordered in the early days, however our 1.3ghz only ran 1.2ghz, period end of discussion regarding that, it also had a white cdrom, you claim they ship black.

As for number two, I simply didn't get a reply, how you are going to debate this with me, I'm not sure, so please just don't bother.

Hostpak simply points out that you did provide enough facts to backup your claims. I am a proud owner of Colomachine servers (CM50 ¡V the first generation, CM50B ¡V the second generation and some CM52 ¡V P4 version). Hearing your comments about Colomachine makes me feel if you were talking about the same company.

SCSCOMM