Thumbs down new nicole kidman movie targets kids - golden compass

if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

So he's an atheist. Big deal.

Narnia and Lord of the Rings all had Christian themes, but no one seemed to give a damn.

Ugly and that's all. Kidman should not act in such trash. I don't think she's so poor...

I wonder... Doesn't she have anything else to do?
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

why the bagging? doesn't even seem like that "bad" of a movie. perhaps she needs the publicity more than anything else?

and didnt she just get to writing children novels?
    visoads.com - Live VPS Auctions every 4 Days.

I've read the books, and while yes, they are very anti-religion, it's an interesting storyline.
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Winnar View Post
    I've read the books, and while yes, they are very anti-religion, it's an interesting storyline.
    And if that's the case, I don't see why the anti-religion aspect of it makes any bit of difference. As I said, there are plenty of pro-Christian stories, but no one complains about them being partisan.

But somehow, if "atheism" comes up, it's automatically associated with hell on earth.

Somehow religion has managed to survive the onslaught of five Harry Potter movies inflicted on the world's children. I'm sure it will survive this too

At worst this is paranoia. At best, it is religious insecurity. Do people really think movies like Golden Compass are a threat to The Word, whatever you believe The Word to be?

I loved Narnia (I grew up with the books, and I'm highly attached to the series). I'm looking forward to Golden Compass with equal enthusiasm. It looks like a great fantasy movie!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    Somehow religion has managed to survive the onslaught of five Harry Potter movies inflicted on the world's children. I'm sure it will survive this too

At worst this is paranoia. At best, it is religious insecurity. Do people really think movies like Golden Compass are a threat to The Word, whatever you believe The Word to be?

I loved Narnia (I grew up with the books, and I'm highly attached to the series). I'm looking forward to Golden Compass with equal enthusiasm. It looks like a great fantasy movie!
    I couldn't agree more. My family is looking forward to going to see the movie when it premieres.

I think one has to see this movie and then judge about it.

My kids have read and seen both the Potter stories and the Narnia stories. While reading we have discussed the comparison to religion. A story itself should not change faith. As a parent you can be involved in the process.

Although you can find religious comparison in the last Potter book.

So what's the problem here? Someone else other then religious folks is trying sell their views to the world?

Ooooooh the humanity!

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

I think the warning goes out to the faithful that feel this movie attacks their beliefs and by seeing it, just supports it's message.

I sort of see it as The_PM does.

Much like The Lord of the Rings which claims to be Christian oriented, as was Narnia, (being they (writers) were both friends and Christians) I watched them and never once tried to find the symbolism between the story and the faith as I was there to enjoy a good fantasy movie. (Which I love!).

I think the Golden Compass (though I might not read the books) will be just that, a good fantasy movie that, unless your looking for the symbolic points the author tries to make, will be quite entertaining for anyone - regardless your faith.

And if it does point out things to your kids or family - then use it as a growing tool to open a line of discussion to build and make them stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by jerett View Post
    I think the warning goes out to the faithful that feel this movie attacks their beliefs and by seeing it, just supports it's message.

I sort of see it as The_PM does.

Much like The Lord of the Rings which claims to be Christian oriented, as was Narnia, (being they (writers) were both friends and Christians) I watched them and never once tried to find the symbolism between the story and the faith as I was there to enjoy a good fantasy movie. (Which I love!).

I think the Golden Compass (though I might not read the books) will be just that, a good fantasy movie that, unless your looking for the symbolic points the author tries to make, will be quite entertaining for anyone - regardless your faith.

And if it does point out things to your kids or family - then use it as a growing tool to open a line of discussion to build and make them stronger.
    I agree to a point, except for the fact that the series really is about them killing god... It really has nothing to do with symbolism, like in Narnia and Lord of the Rings. (Though there is symbolism in the books)
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

*looks over at books* Hmm yes...Phillip Pullmans Dark Materials..great set if you ask me. Yeah, the set of 3 may be anti-religion, but in the same fashion, it's fantasy.

If there's that much of a problem with it, then don't see the movie or read the books

Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    I wonder... Doesn't she have anything else to do?
    hmm....I'm pretty sure if she was stuck...I'd could suggest a few things she could do for me like stoke the barbie and pour a few beers for the guys.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

I think there is a bit of a concern, when Pullman himself admitted that "My books are about killing God". So while his books and subsequent movies might be fantasy, let us be aware of the underlying motives behind such works, before exposing our children to such, if such offends.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

hmm...has a rating of PG 13 so it's a tricky one.

no doubt there will be underlying motives for his work but it's almost like saying like pacman promotes cannibalism.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

Yes, we need more wholesome Christian movies like The Exorcist, The Omen, and Passion of The Christ that our children can enjoy.