Transferring Clients Reseller -> Reseller

Hi Folks,

Due to being unhappy with the current level of service and uptime with my current reseller host, i would like to move to a different host.

I have located the "New" host that would seem to have everything i need and would now like to start figuring out how to move my clients over with the least amount of bother.

So, I understand that with WHM you have the facility to transfer from Cpanel to Cpanel, but this option isnt available in my reseller WHm. Is there another way i can do this safely without losing any data, including Databases, Email accounts etc etc.

Hope someone can help... thanks in advance if you can.

Cheers

The WHM to WHM transfer is only avaliable at root.

What you can do is use the cpanel backup feature and backup the account to your local HDD and restore it on the other server. Just create an account with the same user name on the new server first.

Or if you have SSH access you can Tar the entire user/home dir and then wget it from the new server and untar it.

Hi Monte,

Thanks for the speedy response. However, i have a couple of other issues with this.

For the couple of accounts that i have under my own reseller umbrella, i indeed did what you suggested and backed them up then uploaded them in cpanel and everything seemed to have uploaded fine, apart from the users for the databases werent there. Did i miss something when doing the backup?

Also, my accounts are automatically created with PHPManager, which encrypts the end users password. So i havent got access to each individuals accounts. Ihave each of their usernames, but no passwords. I can change their passwords in PHPManager client control, but thats it.

Any ideas?

I am assuming you backed up the database also or did a database dump correct?

It has always moved the users for me when doing it that way.

The passwords shoud move also if not the only suggestion is to change the passwords thru WHM and email your clients the their new passwords. My suggestion is to be honest with the clients telling them you are moving them to a more stable server, if not you can just tell them you had to change the passwords as part of a security audit and they will need to change them again.

You can also acccess their cpanel using your WHM password as account owner.

Hi Monte,

Thanks for your help. Didnt realise you could gain access to the clients cpanel using the reseller PW. Handy to know.

Well, i just backed up one of my websites and uploaded it and it didnt create the users in MySQL. So i backed up each individual database and uploaded it on the other server, and still no users.

So i'm not to sure the best route here. I obviosly can find out the users for the databases, as they are listed in Cpanel, but is there a way of finding out their PW's or transferring them over?

thanks again

Hi again folks,

Well this is just confusing the hell out of me. I'm really not sure where i am going wrong. Can you run down what i am doing and see if you can spot any mistakes please.

1) download todays backup from server #1 to local drive.
    2) upload todays backup to "restore a backup" section.
    3) watch as everything is installed, including emails etc etc.
    4) check to see if DB's have been created in MySQL section.
    5) see that they have not been uploaded or created.
    6) download backups of current DB's
    7) upload DB backups to "restore an SQL backup" section
    8) check to make sure DB created succesfully.

The database is created correctly, with all the data included. Fine.

But, no users uploaded or associated with any DBs.

This is where the problem is. Without the users, the DBs are not going to work.

I have tried zipping and getting the home directory, and i have tried the above (backup and restore), but still no good.

Is there a difference between doing a datadump? How would i go about doing that?

Thanks in advance.

DM

then you should do it manually, for each account...