Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Domain cost to a Registrar?

Hi Guys

What is the cost for a Registrar to register / transfer a doamin?

The cost of per name year actually depends on the volume of registrations and respective TLD:

http://icann.org/registrars/accredit...financials.htm

For instance, it would cost US$6.25+ for registering, renewing or transferring a .com.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Re: Domain cost to a Registrar?

Originally posted by AskAR
    Hi Guys

What is the cost for a Registrar to register / transfer a doamin?
    As far as I know there is only $0.25 icann fee.

Minimum of $6.25
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Re: Re: Domain cost to a Registrar?

Originally posted by samdax
    As far as I know there is only $0.25 icann fee.
    I am looking forward to some 99 cents .com very soon.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

It's $6.25 per domain plus all of the thousands of dollars in yearly ICANN and other fees.

Even if you are doing abount 1,000,000 domains it would be shocking if you could get the price down to $6.50 per domain.
    After time and support (unless you and your employees work for nothing, or if you only have a few hours of support a day) it is hard to really sell it below $7.00 without really taking a potential loss.

I agree with Tiggee, anything below $7 / $8 is not worth selling!
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Domain Names
    Custom Web Development • Mobile Application Development • SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

Certain extensions such as .biz, .name etc are like 5.50 ea but overall 6.25 is the registrar cost. With a number of companies selling for 6.99 or under 8.00 it is very hard to many any money on domain names alone
    Domain Maven

I believe most of you guys are incorrect on the fees. Anyone with serious thoughts on this, please contact me. I am serious about doing this and would like to partner up 50/50.

I believe most of you guys are incorrect on the fees.
    And I KNOW you are incorrect - but hey find out the hard way like eveyone else
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

Originally posted by mouseattack
    I believe most of you guys are incorrect on the fees. Anyone with serious thoughts on this, please contact me. I am serious about doing this and would like to partner up 50/50.
    Well I was serious too. That I is why I spent the better part of 80 hours drafting up all my documents, reading, and talking to the "right" people on the phone. After it was all said and done I realized (IMHO) the only money to be made was in the drop market and just one connection to the registry didn't seem worth it to me. But hey, prove us all wrong if you can. BTW, what you makes you believe we all are wrong?
    Last edited by eSology; 07-07-2005 at 07:50 AM.

Sorry, but I probably won't just "partner" with anybody out there when it comes to serious business like ICANN accreditation. Or are you talking about registering or transferring a domain name?

Probably the actual cost of domain's depends upon the volume of the registration, they usually get a good bulk discount on large volume.

You know it takes like an hour to look through most of the fees.
    After you spend another 20 hours you will notice a few more hidden here and there.
    Why do you think registrars all offer hosting and other services? There is "NO" money in domain names anymore. It's not like the good old days of NetSol when they would charge $150 per year per name.

But you must be right..... Domains are only a few cents per year.
    When you do start your business please let all us know. We would love to buy from you if you could manage to sell them for a $1.

Originally posted by tiggee
    It's not like the good old days of NetSol when they would charge $150 per year per name.
    I'm sure they (NetSol) started out asking for that much, but was only curbed down by the U.S. Department of Commerce later. Those greedy bastards!

Actually you can get domains for $4.95 per year if you move enough of them .com / .net / .org . The rest do not matter

The question was Registrar...not Register. As explained numerous times before anything below at least $6.25 is taking a loss.

I realize what the question was. The cost to most registrars is $3.50 to $4.95 depending on volume. And that is a fact!

I disagree. And you get your information from???

From the registrar I work for!

Originally posted by eventbroker
    I realize what the question was. The cost to most registrars is $3.50 to $4.95 depending on volume. And that is a fact!
    As an owner of a Registrar, I would have to disagree with you.

Verisign GRS charges $6.00 per .com, $4.25 for .net. These prices cannot be adjusted by volume. Then add .25 per domain ICANN fee and other yearly ICANN budget fees. Now add overhead...

-Tom
    Thomas.chaffin@qtsdatacenters.com
    312-877-0453 (m) alt: 630-456-6948 (m)
    QTS Data Centers Chicago

That is to funny because based on a certain whois record I was going to say someone worked for Stargate. Sorry!

The cost to most registrars is $3.50 to $4.95 depending on volume. And that is a fact!
    Interesting.

interesting to see where you are getting your facts

the largest registrars godaddy pays the same price for a .com that a small registrar like dynadot pays. Volume does not dictate pricing from a registry perspective
    Domain Maven

From the registrar I work for!
    Eventbroker,

Please give us the name of the registrar. We would all love to see who this is. We would hope your manager is new to the company (and so are you) because otherwise you might notice many of your users leaving if they noticed these foolish statements you are making.

Just so you know..... Everyone here is telling you that you are wrong for a reason. It's not because we are just trying to give you a hard time. It's because you are wrong and you are just not believing it. I understand your shock, just think how hard it was for people to first hear that the world wasn't flat.

Please just spend 5 minutes to do a little research. Otherwise you are just making foolish claims and no one will ever give you any credibility.

You are a new user here so I would suggest just creating a new account and starting all over again. Your user account here will be linked to this and this is something that you will not want linked to your name (especially if you do work for a registrar).

Before you do that though give this URL a little read. You will clearly see the $6 that EVERY com and net registrar MUST pay to Verisign.

http://www.verisign.com/products-ser...ge_001905.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast