Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HostGator gearing up to take on GoDaddy and TV commercials?

Highlights from Internal Company Email
    http://blog.hostgator.com/2010/11/24...company-email/

Go Gators Go!

With the huge difference in quality, they should have no difficulty in beating Godaddy at the hosting game. I'm curious how things will play in the domain registering area though. As long as Godaddy is the 800 pounds gorilla in that field, they will continue to be a threat in web hosting as well.

They will succeed in beating them via web hosting but not Domains, IMO
    & many others we say Godaddy owns the domain just because they have been in the TV commercial game longer.
    We RuNn ThiS
    A clan network. We house some of the biggest & brightest clan & player talent to date.
    Established Jan 11th 2010!

HostGator > GoDaddy anyday.

I'd never buy a domain from Godaddy again, let alone web hosting. They just don't care anymore.

Certainly an interesting email and I do believe Brent and HG have a bright future.

Interesting, seems like the owner is trying to create a more "fun" environment for they're employees. However, based on my experience, this type of method almost never works, at least not in an office setting. Im curious to see how this all plays out for them, however I would not be surprised if they started moving in the opposite direction (I've seen it happen before).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Interesting, seems like the owner is trying to create a more "fun" environment for they're employees. However, based on my experience, this type of method almost never works, at least not in an office setting.
    Google's offices are relatively laid-back.

Love the idea of letting their employees browse the net and reply to text messages. Keeping your employees happy definitely motivates them and that ends up reflecting nicely on your clients overall experience too.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Google's offices are relatively laid-back.
    Yes but there is a big difference between having a laid back office environment and giving your employees options on whether they should come into work or not. Q and A is very important and in any business, employees must be held accountable, otherwise your entire level of service will dip. In my opinion, I think they are making a big mistake.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Love the idea of letting their employees browse the net and reply to text messages. Keeping your employees happy definitely motivates them and that ends up reflecting nicely on your clients overall experience too.
    I'm all about this as well, of course as long as the work is getting done. Google also allocates 20% of employee time to personal projects.

That email is mostly just a PR stunt, which is why they "leaked" it on their blog.

Interesting, I had a friend who quit HG because of the very things they now changed according to that email. Apparently, working there was gloomy and not at all fun and resulted in a really low status quo. Now, it seems they are trying to lighten things up a bit, which is really what the staff need.
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

interesting reading.

are they borrowing to finance the ad spending?

I wonder how they will handle the (expected) extremely fast growth.

I see their billboards around Indianapolis.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

This just demonstrates how fast Host Gator is growing in this industry. Their web hosting service should easily attract more customers than GoDaddy, their biggest problem will probably be to find a way to handle all the new customers.

Umm, I'm currently with godaddy because I got a domain there for 12 bucks a year, and they offer hosting for only like 2 bucks a month. What benefits does hostgator offer me?

The well known web host has a bright future ahead of itself. If they want to take over the web hosting industry this would clearly be the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by professordougie View Post
    Umm, I'm currently with godaddy because I got a domain there for 12 bucks a year, and they offer hosting for only like 2 bucks a month. What benefits does hostgator offer me?
    yeah thats the only reason i still use godaddy or i would be with hostgator a long time ago! im starting to make the switch to hostgator though with their blackfriday specials

I tried GoDaddy for both domains and hosting several years ago... it was a mess and it was weak sauce, and it was too *expensive*... I will never use them for *anything* again. If HostGator can beat them on price, especially considering the need for including private whois, which GoDaddy is outrageous on, then there's a lot of potential for success. They can *definitely* wear GoDaddy slap out on customer service.

I would certainly consider moving all of my domains there if the situation was right. For me they'd have to come really close to, or meet / beat DreamHost on domains.

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Yes but there is a big difference between having a laid back office environment and giving your employees options on whether they should come into work or not. Q and A is very important and in any business, employees must be held accountable, otherwise your entire level of service will dip. In my opinion, I think they are making a big mistake.
    Best Buy allows their employees to set their own hours.

As for the email/taking on godaddy. Hostgator is big enough where they can sell domain names at a loss and make up the profits on hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by We RuNn ThiS View Post
    They will succeed in beating them via web hosting but not Domains, IMO
    & many others we say Godaddy owns the domain just because they have been in the TV commercial game longer.
    Definitely i consider Hostgator the hosting king and Godaddy the domain king.

most people that bought domain from godaddy naturally buys their hosting package from godaddy. So hostgator is still far from beating godaddy IMO

I wish HostGator luck as I think they provide a great service. I just hope growth doesn't negatively impact that level of service.

Oh boy that would be awesome. now Host Gator should explore a commercial with Gatorade.

Gator Power!
    Nothing here right now.

I'd been calling for Hostgator to get a better domain registration system, I thought it was killing their sales for sure. Heck they should offer a free domain. seems tacking on $1/mo to the price and offering a free domain results in better sales for web hosting companies.

I'll be happy if they get competitive in the domain registration arena. Very happy.

Hostgator will never beat Godaddy ... Godaddy is a huge company with a huge server farm. Hostgator is a reseller, they don't even own their own servers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast