Web Hosting + Email Archiving?

I am new here, and a quick search shows no recent inquiries about email hosting since last summer; therefore I will ask my question in this new thread. I operate a small business, self + one, which has the need for two services which I would prefer to obtain from the same vendor if practical. One is for web hosting, but for a simple, generally static, web-presence sort of site, no e-commerce, etc. Ease of use and low cost would be most siginificant.

The second requirement, however, has been more difficult for me to find in an inexpensive web host - rather formal e-mail archiving (as opposed to simply having copious storage space). I am required to retain for audits all incoming and outgoing emails for probably three years or so (except automatically deleted spam). I do not want to rely on capabilities of my own system (or myself or assistant). I think I want e-mail to be processed in two separate ways: I want to be able to sort messages into folders and delete those not useful, etc, just as any user of e-mail might. In addition, however, I want all in and out mail automatically copied and retained in a manner not subject to deletion in the ordinary course of business. Old mail would be deleted from the archive only occasionally, in groups by age after some years. Archived e-mail would also have to be readily searchable by auditors, who might want to see all in and out mail on any specific dates.

I see that rackspace.com - mentioned in another thread here - seems to offer some e-mail archiving plans possibly of interest, and I may discuss my needs with them. However, I would prefer to use a single provider for both e-mail and web hosting services is one is economically available, as this would probably be easier for a new assistant to use should auditors request materials unexpectedly when I am away. Is this combination of services an unlikely one?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Hi captanifepa,

have you had a look at MessageLabs? They offer email archiving as well as spam control etc. I have heard an lot of good feedback over them.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks, Paul. I think of Message Labs as a bit enterprise oriented, but that might just be me. My hope is still to try to get both services from one source if possible, partly because my assistant is not at all technical, and I would prefer having only one place to find all the website and email records should he ever be visited by an auditor unexpectedly when I am not nearby to help locate material. I may well abandon this preference, though....

How much storage do you think you will require for the archiving? Depending on that number you may easily get a shared hosting space with an attached (to your account) dedicated VPS to handle your mail chores. That wold keep your cost down significantly and once set up, it'll run itself.

Quote Originally Posted by captainfepa View Post
    I am new here, and a quick search shows no recent inquiries about email hosting since last summer; therefore I will ask my question in this new thread. I operate a small business, self + one, which has the need for two services which I would prefer to obtain from the same vendor if practical. One is for web hosting, but for a simple, generally static, web-presence sort of site, no e-commerce, etc. Ease of use and low cost would be most siginificant.

The second requirement, however, has been more difficult for me to find in an inexpensive web host - rather formal e-mail archiving (as opposed to simply having copious storage space). I am required to retain for audits all incoming and outgoing emails for probably three years or so (except automatically deleted spam). I do not want to rely on capabilities of my own system (or myself or assistant). I think I want e-mail to be processed in two separate ways: I want to be able to sort messages into folders and delete those not useful, etc, just as any user of e-mail might. In addition, however, I want all in and out mail automatically copied and retained in a manner not subject to deletion in the ordinary course of business. Old mail would be deleted from the archive only occasionally, in groups by age after some years. Archived e-mail would also have to be readily searchable by auditors, who might want to see all in and out mail on any specific dates.

I see that rackspace.com - mentioned in another thread here - seems to offer some e-mail archiving plans possibly of interest, and I may discuss my needs with them. However, I would prefer to use a single provider for both e-mail and web hosting services is one is economically available, as this would probably be easier for a new assistant to use should auditors request materials unexpectedly when I am away. Is this combination of services an unlikely one?

Thank you for any suggestions.
    I have had a few clients use google apps for the same purpose. I'm sure your looking for a professional option, but if you can't find anything you might want to take a look at Google Apps.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

One option is running your own mail server inhouse. it would be pretty easy to just keep everything for 3 years. with exchange it would be easy to sort by date in the email client (outlook). I only suggest it as its not that hard as long as someone if running offsite backups of the server, which can be automated as well. outsourcing the whole thing would be easiest of course if you find something.