Need to mimic a Static IP address

Hello,

I have a high-speed cable internet account with a dynamic IP address, but I need to access a secure server that uses IP authentication. Is there any way for me to get a static IP address to use with with my current internet account or mimic a static IP address so that I can access this secure server? I know that I can pay a lot more each month for a static IP address, but I don't want to pay that much more per month for internet access.

Thanks in advance for all of your assistance!

-Charles

<< e-hosting.lu >> The fastest way to get online
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.e-hosting.lu // Webhosting as you need it

I will testify to dynDNS. I use the service everyday remoting into my home PC from work. It works great.

I doubt that'll work for IP authentication, IP addresses *generally* don't change unless you disconnect/reconnect (ie re-run the authentication process). If your connection is stable, what you could do is ensure you have some sort of UPS for your modem so that it constantly stays connected.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Well if you absolutly need one, Im sure they arent that expensive. I used to work for an ISP and we would charge $5 a month for it. Have you checked out pricing at all?

DynDNS only allows a computer with a dynamic IP address to be accessible in the same way (i.e., the same hostname) to an outside user. This is the opposite situation, where the computer with a dynamic IP address has to present itself in the same way same (i.e., the same IP address) to an outside server. Servers that authenticate by IP don't know and don't care what your DynDNS hostname is (usually they are specifically set up to *not* trust DNS information).

As far as adding a static IP to your account, many providers (RoadRunner, for example) won't give you a static IP unless you sign up for their business class service, which could be as much as an additional $30-$50/mo. Without paying for that service, the only other way to have a static IP is to go through another proxy server (with a static IP) set up on some outside server (i.e., set up a proxy to a proxy server). Of course, that may or may not work depending on how everything has to be configured...

See if you can specify an IP range on the remote server, often your ip wont fluctuate between outside a c class.

Also you could specify on reverse dns records (say your isp rev dns is ip-234.294.2-someisp.net you could specify *.someisp.net)

Otherwise look at some other authentication method (shared keys .... depends on what your doing)

If you say what it is your authenticating to i might be able to help more ... ssh/ftp/???)

Quote Originally Posted by fxbezak
    Well if you absolutly need one, Im sure they arent that expensive. I used to work for an ISP and we would charge $5 a month for it. Have you checked out pricing at all?
    I have a Time Warner Cable account, and I think that Dexxtreme is correct about having to get a business account, and my monthly bill will go from about $40 to about $160.

guyellis - I'm pretty sure that I am using using ssh to connect to a secure database on a SuSe linux machine.

-Charles

Quote Originally Posted by guyellis1988
    See if you can specify an IP range on the remote server, often your ip wont fluctuate between outside a c class.
    My IP changed 4 times over the past two days (extended power issues from Alberto), and I jumped through 2 different class C's (in a different class B) from where I started before being dumped back into the class C I originally had for 3+ months. If your connection is stable enough, maybe you can call in and have them update the server when your IP changes. (However, that could introduce delays in accessing the server...)

The other alternative is to get a VPS somewhere and run LT2Pd or something of that nature and tunnel through it ...

A basic 64mb VPS with minimal resources should suffice.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

In a way I think it's good that this isn't so easy to do - it it were easy it would compromise security.

I called TWC to verify, and they do not provide static IP addresses to home customers, and the cheapest business account with a static IP is over $150/month. Verizon DSL has a cheaper one (about $70/month), but they will not provide service to my building. It looks like I might have to tunnel through another network.