Question Help Finding Gaming Server Hosting in San Jose

Hello everyone,

I currently rent a dedicated server in San Jose from colocrossing but their network is pure Level 3 and the hardware is inadequate. I cant seem to find any decent dedicated server hosts in San Jose so I thought I would look into colocating. I have never done it before and I would like to do it to save money in the long run. I know my options are limited to places like HE, Peer1 and Equinox. Since its a gaming server I need super good routing to the US, Canada and Asia and pure level 3 doesnt give people a choice on the best possible route. I need the location to be San Jose or Bay Area including Palo Alto or Fremont.

So far my max bandwidth has been 3200 gigs in the Summer and 2700 gigs or less every other month using a software based bandwidth monitor.

I also dont know a thing about buying a server, I was probably going to get a barebone from supermicro though and build it from there.

My scare with colocation is a hard drive dieing as my server would be down for a while before a new one can get there since I am no where near San Jose. I saw that some mobos have networked bios where I can access them from anywhere, I was thinking I could run the server in a Raid and if 1 HD dies, I can maybe change it off of raid to the good drive but then I still end up with missing 1 drive. Any idea how to fix a scenario like this from happening?

Any help is appreciated!

DontWannaName ,

ColoCrossing's SJC network is Level 3 + nLayer not pure Level 3. Also just wondering what is inadequate about ColoCrossings hardware ?

I also do not suggest colocating one server as you are going to pay high fees for a premium network & facility with the amount of bandwidth you need.

Have you tried going with Los Angeles rather then San Jose ?

If you're having an issue with the connectivity or the hardware isn't powerful enough please contact us at https://colocrossing.com/billing and we'll work with you to find a solution that fits your needs. Thanks!
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

What hardware requirements are you looking for exactly? Dual Core? Quad Core? Dual Quad's? Also Derek makes a great point, if you are looking for colo's, you going to end up paying more for bandwidth and going over that bandwidth. Not to mention, building your server to have colocated, shipping and up keep. PLus many hosts will not work on your server if there is an issue, so you need to keep that in mind as well.

What kind of game server / game type are you looking at running? Game servers are not kind to overcrowding / over allocation resources.
    Keith Mitchell,Dedicated & Virtual Server Engineer,Hosting.com
    Check out my Technical Blog - Keithdmitchell.com

Whenever anyone trace routes its Level 3 so thats why I say that, It also always goes through a CWIE LLC router. My server was moved a few months ago for who knows what reason. I dont actually use colocrossing, I use Wolfservers who is under new management and resells colocrossing. Right now im on a Q6600 with 4 gigs of ram. I run 4 32 slot TF2 servers that are usually full. If I bought a server I would go with a better quad or even dual quad as an investment and lots of DDR3 ram.

Los Angeles and Seattle are not an option as they are only good for their respective areas. San Jose is inbetween the two and has good connectivity to Asia.

One person had a 25 ms decrease on the east coast when tracing to an internap location in San Jose. This was because instead of taking the user directly from New York via probably satellite it took them across the nation from one router to another.

If you have an established user base I'd suggest sticking with your current server. Moving game servers to a different IP range can prove difficult to retain users.
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

If your already gossling up all that hardware resorce, prehaps spread onto 2 servers and split the work load?
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

I think ServerBeach/Peer1 might have a location you want but you are going to be paying enterprise pricing. There isn't much choice in SJC...

In the end, the ping for users will be lower and when sorted by ping in the browser the higher my servers will be on the list. The lower the ping to more people the better.

Sadly, Serverbeach doesnt sell servers in San Jose, Peer1 only colocates and they peer with level 3 too but im not sure what other networks are there. Im also confused as to if you choose what bandwidth you want when you colocate at a datacenter. I have always just rented to keep it simple but simple isnt always getting the best performance.

For most games, including TF2, the servers with the lowest first IP octet will appear in the browser first. This is why single or 2 digit IPs are so desirable for hosting game servers -- and that is probably why your servers are full so often. I'd bet your ips start with 1 or 2 digits.

8.17.250.131 actually.

Does colocrossing offer a different network at that location, I think its in market post tower and used to be with ewtc or something I cant remember.

That IP is our network. We do not operate a second network in San Jose.

We do not accept orders from customers who use our resellers, and even if did we couldn't as that would be in violation of WHT rules.

<< removed >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 11-17-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Does anyone know anything about reliablehosting.com ? They are on *********** in San Fran. They seem to have a good network with internap and good peering but I cant find a single review of them.

I can vouch for colocrossing and say that as a client of theirs I've only had good comments about my San Jose location as well as other locations hosted through them.
    Jon also does state a valid point, if your server(s) is/are getting populated it would not be of best interest to switch IP's as it might hinder your current user base.
    I do hope you find a solution for your current issue and please keep us updated.
    Licensewolf - Coming Soon!

True, any move will hinder it but a network with multiple carriers will reach more people and give them the best route and lowest ping.

Since im on their reseller I cant get straight answers from anyone and im limited in hardware choices.

I am not sure if saying LA would not be a good location for your server is completely accurate. Finding a provider that has good peering arrangements to providers in Asia as well as other parts of North America would be your best bet, as any latency just buy going further south to LA from San Jose would be minimal.
    Dan Buyer
    InfoRelay - Connected, Protected, Perfected.
    Equinix LAX & DC, One Wilshire, Wilshire Annex, MPT, VE, 1275K, Reston Exchange, Reston Equinix, 60 Hudson, NYC, and Chicago
    www.inforelay.com

Quote Originally Posted by JonBiloh View Post
    For most games, including TF2, the servers with the lowest first IP octet will appear in the browser first. This is why single or 2 digit IPs are so desirable for hosting game servers -- and that is probably why your servers are full so often. I'd bet your ips start with 1 or 2 digits.
    That's not true at all. For Valve games (including TF2), the master list returns servers in an order based on what it deems closest to the client's IP. It does this by simply treating the IP as single number and sorting by the IPs with the smallest absolute difference.

For instance, if you are at IP 66.0.0.1, it would return to you anything at 66.x.x.x, then 67.x.x.x and 65.x.x.x, then 68.x.x.x and 64.x.x.x, and so on.

Because of this algorithm, each client will get the server list in a different order. A particular server might be queried very early on for one client, but very late for another.

Valve put this system in place in September 2004, and it has received much discussion on the Valve mailing lists since. Before that, IPs were always returned by the master server sorted by the last octet -- meaning that servers with IPs of the form x.x.x.1 always showed up first, for all clients. Maybe that's what you were getting confused with here?

Most other games query in a random order, although it doesn't matter as much as it does for more popular games such as CSS and TF2 (a small master list loads quickly for everyone). For instance, CoD4 clients randomly decide the order they will look at IPs each time they are run.
    John
    President, NFOservers (Nuclearfallout Enterprises, Inc.)
    High-performance (Xen) VPS hosting, game servers, Ventrilo/Murmur/Mumble/TS3 servers, and dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by edge100x View Post
    That's not true at all. For Valve games (including TF2), the master list returns servers in an order based on what it deems closest to the client's IP. It does this by simply treating the IP as single number and sorting by the IPs with the smallest absolute difference.

For instance, if you are at IP 66.0.0.1, it would return to you anything at 66.x.x.x, then 67.x.x.x and 65.x.x.x, then 68.x.x.x and 64.x.x.x, and so on.

Because of this algorithm, each client will get the server list in a different order. A particular server might be queried very early on for one client, but very late for another.

Valve put this system in place in September 2004, and it has received much discussion on the Valve mailing lists since. Before that, IPs were always returned by the master server sorted by the last octet -- meaning that servers with IPs of the form x.x.x.1 always showed up first, for all clients. Maybe that's what you were getting confused with here?

Most other games query in a random order, although it doesn't matter as much as it does for more popular games such as CSS and TF2 (a small master list loads quickly for everyone). For instance, CoD4 clients randomly decide the order they will look at IPs each time they are run.
    Yep kudos!

Also to the OP, there not many SJC servers you might be able to get. It isn't quite popular compared to most other locations.
    Last edited by trancemode; 12-02-2009 at 02:15 PM.

I decided to go with reliable hosting .com despite the lack of reviews on any website. They are located in the 200 paul San Fran United Layer datacenter and are on Internap with peering to ISPs like Comcast and SBC.

InterNAP doesn't peer with Comcast, but it has so much transit that pings to Comcast customers are still the lowest they can be, most of the time. InterNAP is great stuff, overall.

It looks like Comcast gets to your new provider via ***********, so the new place is not a pure InterNAP shop. Not saying that's bad, though.
    John
    High-performance (Xen) VPS hosting, game servers, Ventrilo/Murmur/Mumble/TS3 servers, and dedicated servers

Ya, for us it peers with Comcast but for people on the east coast it uses Internap. Here is what they said.

Our carriers are: Internap (which gives us access to ATT,MCI/Verizon, Sprint, XO, Level3)
    GlobalCrossing
    NTT (coming in november)

Some of our large peers:
    Above.Net
    SingTel
    Hurricane Electric
    HiNet
    KDDI
    EasyNet
    Leader of Top Notch Clan
    Providing Servers to the TF2 Community Since Day 1

Your guys appear to buy transit from ***********, and it peers with (or buys from) Comcast. It's kind of weird that they don't mention *********** as a carrier in the listing they gave you.

In San Jose, InterNAP does have a slightly better NSP selection -- adding Global Crossing and Savvis to the list. InterNAP used to buy from Verio/NTT, and I'm glad they dropped them; it was a lower performing backbone.
    John

Ya I found that the extra peering that they had provided a good connection to people in Japan and Asia. They also peer with Shaw, basically they are connected to both PAIX and SFIX.
    Leader of Top Notch Clan
    Providing Servers to the TF2 Community Since Day 1