My 1 month review of DDoS Guard

Well, the reason for me purchasing a server with DDoS Guard is I've been interested in DDoS/DDoS mitigation since a child when receiving my first DDoS attack via Xbox LIVE.

For the past 7 or so years I've been purchasing servers through various providers and resellers. I've noticed with most American providers they are quick to null route if a threshold is reached, which has always bothered me.

I've been with many DDoS mitigation ISPs:
    SharkTech
    Awknet
    Staminus
    BlackLotus
    CNservers(via reseller)
    + others

I've noticed the only providers that were willing to tank huge floods for me for cheap rates other than DDoS Guard have been Awknet(UDP flood) and CloudFlare.

I was amazed when I first found DDoS Guard, people were telling me they'd tank 50Gbit/s+ floods and I simply didn't believe them. I ended up purchasing the cheapest server they had and setting up OpenVPN and nginx.

I posted the IP/webserver on HackForums in a prospective marketplace thread and in came the floods. For three days attackers tried downing the server, not once did they accomplish their goal.

Attackers went after transit routers, the web server itself and anything else they could try to attack. At one point a suspected member of HTP(Hack The Planet) claimed to attack the IP with 30Gbps UDP traffic and the server never went down, I was truly amazed.

The only bad thing I can think of for DDoS Guard is their network instability, a few times my server would randomly go down for 5-10 seconds.

I may not be very good at writing reviews and if this was hard to understand I apologize, although I know it won't happen I really wish American providers would tank huge floods like this without charging $1000+.

If DDoS Guard is able to mitigate any and all floods for someone for as low as $150 and still be growing everyday(I spoke to owner via Skype, he said they are upgrading capacity to 100-120Gbps soon) than every provider should do this.
    Last edited by 0x01-Security; 04-08-2013 at 10:17 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

pics or it didn't happen.

But seriously I would like to see some logs.
    Vaurent.com
    Professional Hosting | Dedicated Performance
    "Keeping You Online"
    PR TEAM
      0 Not allowed!

what are you running that is attracting ddos or perhaps you can tell us the site name?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by vaurent View Post
    pics or it didn't happen.

But seriously I would like to see some logs.
    No logs available since I don't own the network equipment, but on DDoS-Guards Twitter they have a couple pictures posted:

Here is what we handle every day (almost real time picture from one of filtering nodes)
    That is a quote from a picture of a 22Gbps attack.

Quote Originally Posted by changeip View Post
    what are you running that is attracting ddos or perhaps you can tell us the site name?
    Well in my post I said how I attracted the large attacks, the site name is 0x01-security.com
      0 Not allowed!

* secret agent?

With 2 posts you seem to know a lot about ... DDoS Guard.

Are you a DDoS Guard agent?
    Vaurent.com
    Professional Hosting | Dedicated Performance
    "Keeping You Online"
    PR TEAM
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by vaurent View Post
    With 2 posts you seem to know a lot about ... DDoS Guard.

Are you a DDoS Guard agent?
    Nah, I know a lot about quite a few DDoS mitigation providers.

I know BlackLotus uses ReoRey and nsfocus filtering devices, I know Awknet uses pfSense filtering.

I just think everyone should know about DDoS Guard, realistically at this moment they are the top provider for DDoS mitigation.
    Who else is gonna filter that 50Gbps/60Mpps flood for you for $150?

Seriously, Staminus is one of the most renowned DDoS protection providers in the market so lets compare the two.

For Staminus's highest listed filtering package you pay $4000 for 10Gbps/1Mpps, for DDoS Guards base level filtering you pay for the product in this example an reverse proxy which is $150 and you get 50Gbps/60Mpps.

So you can either pay $4000 for 1 million packets per second filtering with one provider or $150 for 60 million packets per second filtering with DDoS Guard.

Not trying to down any providers here just making an excellent comparison.
    Last edited by 0x01-Security; 04-10-2013 at 10:54 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 0x01-Security View Post
    I know BlackLotus uses ReoRey and nsfocus filtering devices, I know Awknet uses pfSense filtering.
    We have not used RioRey since we gave up on them back in 2009.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    We have not used RioRey since we gave up on them back in 2009.
    Sorry everyone BlackLotus uses Fortinet and nsFocus filtering devices.

I remember my service with you guys was okay, probably one of the best but overrated American providers.
      0 Not allowed!

thanks for the info. i am still curious what exactly would have attracted the ddos. why would someone start a ddos right after you posted info about your services? i am also interested in what type of attack it was. random packets, tcp syn, or?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by changeip View Post
    thanks for the info. i am still curious what exactly would have attracted the ddos. why would someone start a ddos right after you posted info about your services? i am also interested in what type of attack it was. random packets, tcp syn, or?
    Well it's HackForums, land of the pretentious packet kiddie.

I honestly don't know, there were many attacks I imagine multiple protocols.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 0x01-Security View Post
    Sorry everyone BlackLotus uses Fortinet and nsFocus filtering devices.

I remember my service with you guys was okay, probably one of the best but overrated American providers.
    We do not use Fortinet either. NSFOCUS is the only off the shelf DDoS mitigation system we use right now.
      0 Not allowed!

I too am kind of skeptical about this...

I don't know what kind of capacity these guys have but I doubt they would let one client eat up that much of it. There is no way this could be economical either, especially at 50gbps.

Do you have any idea what 60mpps in mitigation capacity would cost? Hint: its in the tens of millions.

Something here isn't right, but as usual I'm just pointing out the obvious.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YDomer View Post
    I too am kind of skeptical about this...

I don't know what kind of capacity these guys have but I doubt they would let one client eat up that much of it. There is no way this could be economical either, especially at 50gbps.

Do you have any idea what 60mpps in mitigation capacity would cost? Hint: its in the tens of millions.

Something here isn't right, but as usual I'm just pointing out the obvious.
    Well I'm sure they'd be able to offer you a trial if you requested one, not too sure though. Actually depending on the method of mitigation it would cost no where near tens of millions, not even close.

There is also another European/Russian provider offering mitigation of this magnitude for <$3000/m, they are called Qrator.

Although I couldn't locate the specific amount their highest level filtering is "unlimited" backed by an SLA.
      0 Not allowed!

Are we talking mitigation just for httpd's or all types of services? httpds are generally cheaper to protect, easier than some other services too.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YDomer View Post
    Are we talking mitigation just for httpd's or all types of services? httpds are generally cheaper to protect, easier than some other services too.
    Well DDoS Guard offers dedicated servers and TCP services filtering, I'm sure Qrator would as well.
      0 Not allowed!