Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If a forum admin refuses to remove your account isnt that against the law?

I signed up with a forum and requested to have my forum account removed and the admin has been very childish and rude and will not remove the account. I believe it is some type of ego of his since all he has to do is login to the admin panel and remove the account. Yet he chooses to argue and not do so, and he has a default phpBB forum so there are no terms of service stating that anything posted on his site becomes his property. Isnt there anything I can do?

So just don't login and let it be? I can't see how this would be breaking the law, you signed up no one twisted your arm, and I assume, you're not under 13? or is it 13 or under for that one new law? Anyway, just don't login and let it be?
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I am an adult and the reason I want the account to be removed is because search engines pull up my username on their index pages. I wanted to leave the site since I was new and there were a lot of rude moderators and admins there who are disrespectful, so I politely asked them to remove my account and they refuse to do so.

You can leave the site without having your account remove. On WHT, accounts are not delete...but they are disable.
    The admin could disable your account without deleting it...and it would show that in the search engine. It is their forum so they do whatever they want to do.
    Before you register for that account under your username...did you know that the search engine was pulling up your username?
    Why did you register it under that specific username if you only wanted to register to use the site for a short period? Did you register that username thinking that if you did, it would be removed at your request?

Dude, I registered at that forum because I planned to stay there. However as I was posting important info on their forums their mod and admin replied with childish posts so I realized that I did not belong there as kindly asked to remove my account. Yes I knew that google may index my username however I am a member of so many forums I didnt think it would have come down to this.

No offense but it sounds like you're basically getting your panties in a bunch over nothing. Just quit going there and ask them to remove your login, if they don't they don't, life's too short to sweat the small stuff.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

If the username is lexington, I wouldn't sweet it..lol...it's such a common name, that a seard on the word turns up 15,000,000 hits..LOL. The odds of someone putting you and post on some obscure forum together are astronomical.

Ask the admin to change your username then you will eventually fall off the search results

I've refused to remove usernames for some users in the past. Some I have done it for them. The ones I didn't do it for, were usually people who caused 80% of the problems, left before and came back wanting their old username, and some wanted all their posts they ever posted removed... it's ridiculous.

You signed up for the account voluntarily, you supplied the info to that account voluntarily. That's how I see it...

It's your problem if you signed up and accepted the terms of the board really....nothing you can do, good idea though, change your name as anon said

It's not against the law. It's like giving someone an apple. Then you decide that you don't want them to have the apple. Tough. All you can do is ask for it back, if they don't give it back it's not breaking any laws.

Spam his forum till he deletes you. If he's gonna play hard, be a PITA.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

I have rec'd emails asking for a name to be removed for the reason that my page ranks higher in the serps, for all I know the OP is talking about me. My response...get over it.

When you remove pages on your site at my request, I will consider the same.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Originally posted by Philipf
    So if you are mad because I rank for your name, what will happen when you act a fool. All those PITA posts are now associated with your name. In a month you will be whining even more.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

All he has to do his ban her, that will still keep the name.

Not a very nice attitude to take. Most forums will NOT delete a username, they can remove spam posts from the public eye, but your name will still be there, just with a new title.

A forum admin can't remove posts without removing them from threads and making the threads non-sensical.
    Why not login into your account and change your profile so that it is no longer obviously "you", change links to your home page, change your sig links etc.

On one of my sites, we do not delete any account, for any reason. The way the forum system is set up, if you delete an account, you'll mess up the billing and notes system, as well as throw stuff out of whack.

If you don't want to be around that site anymore, just don't visit. It's that simple. Most site owners legally own everything on their site, and that includes the username and your account.

In this day and age, it's all about getting your site listed higher in search engines, and anything that can help a site owner get listed higher, he or she will not remove.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Originally posted by ArtieFishill
    If the username is lexington, I wouldn't sweet it..lol...it's such a common name, that a seard on the word turns up 15,000,000 hits..LOL. The odds of someone putting you and post on some obscure forum together are astronomical.
    Just to nitpick:

Apparently you don't know what astronomical means. I'll assist you:

as·tro·nom·i·cal
    adj.
    Of enormous magnitude; immense: an astronomical increase in the deficit.
    So, you were effectively saying that the chances of someone putting him and his post(s) together on some obscure form are of enormous magnitude or immense, which, even like that, doesn't make much sense.

Regarding the OP, the only thing you really can do is move on; I don't see any alternative. When you signed up for the board, you accepted that everything on the board (in the database) now belonged to the administrator/operator of the board. Unfortunately, you probably had no way of knowing that the moderators were jerks, but I suppose that's just one of the "risks" (although it seems rather trivial to me) of subscribing to online communities.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    When you signed up for the board, you accepted that everything on the board (in the database) now belonged to the administrator/operator of the board.

I seriously doubt that, If i were to post libelous things about for example prince charles and he took exception i would bet a weeks
    wages the very first thing WHT would do is state that any and all posts thoughts and discusions are the sole property of the poster and WHT does not agree with or own any of it.

You see if you let people post anything they want and claim ownership then in the case of a problem arising it then turns into your problem not the posters.

Originally posted by virginia
    A forum admin can't remove posts without removing them from threads and making the threads non-sensical.
    Why not login into your account and change your profile so that it is no longer obviously "you", change links to your home page, change your sig links etc.
    I'd be hesitant to remove all of a user's posts for just the reason you mentioned. Your solution is probably the best they can do. Sanitize any user info, and if you can still edit your posts, sanitize them as well.

One scenario I've seen before is when someone asks for a site critique and says "my keywords are this, that and the other." The site gets lambasted and before you know it, the unflattering review ranks higher on a keyword search than the actual site itself. So the person goes into panic mode and wants the thread removed. :p

is this an embarassing forum... hehe

why is it such a big deal that your user name is on it?

My advice, don't post stuff on public forums that you don't want on google.

I know I've found things I've said here and in other forums in google searches, then wished I could take it back, but it was too late.

We all have to live with our mistakes, and on the internet, you can't always rely on people to do what you want.

Rhetorical Question: As far as the law goes, whos jurisdiction is the internet under and what authorities do you call to report an uncooperative forum admin?

All you could do is report it to abuse@hisisp.tld but I know if I got such a complaint I'd just go to the next email in the pile.
    EZZI.net - A Service of Access Integrated Technologies Inc
    Running data centers, nationwide data network, and world-wide VoIP network.
    http://www.EZZI.net sales@ezzi.net

Originally posted by Take-IT-EZZI
    My advice, don't post stuff on public forums that you don't want on google. . .
    We try to warn anyone that didn't figure that out, in the first line of Forum Guidelines.
    Warning. Your postings on this public forum will become public. Your text will be available to anyone with an internet connection.
    Now, if we could just figure out how to get everyone to read the guidelines they agree to when they join.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast