MySQL 3.x or MySQL 4.x ? Which one do you have installed?

Hello to all,

Following a customer complaint we've had, I'd like to ask the WHT community about which MySQL version is broadly supported by web hosts.

We have MySQL 3.23 running on all production servers. No customers had ever complained about not having MySQL 4.x. The reason behind the decision not to upgrade to MySQL 4.x is that it has not achieved a "conflict free" status, as there are problems reported about it the past months.

I know of all the nice features that are implemented on MySQL 4, but since no customer was in need of it, we decided to hold the upgrade until it has been more thoroughly tested and implemented on more than a few hosting providers.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Could you recommend some RELIABLE Internet resources (sites/articles/disscussions/etc.) which prove whether or not MySQL 4 is as reliable as MySQL 3? What are your experiences with running MySQL 4 on production servers?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

We run 4, haven't had any problems. But then, I have little to no experience with 3, so can't do much of a comparison.
    TrapZero Hosting
    Web, Forum, E-mail hosting and more for business and personal users. Accepting PayPal.

FMVperformance Automotive Communities

Originally posted by drhamad@t0host
    We run 4, haven't had any problems. But then, I have little to no experience with 3, so can't do much of a comparison.
    I also have MySQL 4. I have no experience with 3.
    Try searching google, there should be couple of websites that compare the two.

4.1.10a here - lovely with PHP 5.0.3

Originally posted by ereloaded
    Try searching google, there should be couple of websites that compare the two.
    I have been searching around for specific information on this issue with no luck unfortunately. That is why I opted for asking the WHT community.

Anyone who could point me to some credible information/resources ?

Last time I needed to find out about MySQL I went to their website.....

And Yes, Version 4.0.x has not given me any problems running a busy phpBB forum

If you specifically don't need the features and your customers are not asking, then as long as you have the latest 3.23.x (55?) then you should be just fine.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

I personally have mySql 3

MySQL 4.1.10a with PHP4 and PHP5 here.

I love the MySQLi interface in PHP5.

I've used a few different versions. Haven't had trouble with any of them yet. I also haven't noticed any performance advantages in any version, although I haven't done any real testing.

Running 4.0.X on production servers, not a single problem.

I'm surprised that you haven't had more complaints about the version. We're running 4.0.X on all our servers as well, you should probably upgrade soon.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Would want to upgrade to 4x because it's upto 3x faster on queries and more secure.

BTW, if you put up a phpinfo () page and it shows 3x it's because it needs to point to the /usr directory (or whatever directory you have mysql installed) to show the current version. In CPanel it'll show 3.23 even if 4x is installed without recompiling php manually and pointing to the mysql directory. Same glitches with the GD library.

Chris

Actually we have 3.23.58 installed on the production servers. I am well aware of all the new functionality that comes with 4.x, as I am an application developer. The project I am currently working on has a 4.x backend and I am more happy than using 3.x for developing applications.

But when it comes to running production servers for customer websites, you have to keep in mind of security, stability, reliability, resource usage, performance, etc. Taking only the new features of 4.x into account when deciding whether to upgrade or not, it is likely that I make the wrong decision.

It is within this context that I have posted this thread, which is primarily addressed to web hosting companies/employees. From what you guys have replied, I would opt for keeping the 3.23.58, as there is no credible information that it will not harm server performance, stabilty, etc.

Nothing personal here, it is just an important business decision which needs credible facts to be based upon.
    Last edited by artzweb; 03-24-2005 at 09:35 PM.

Read the entire online manual from the source to see it's not fluff, but facts....

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/nu...-features.html
    Speed enhancements

An even more detailed list...

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/news-4-0-x.html

MySQL 4.0 has a query cache that can give a huge speed boost to applications with repetitive queries. See Section 5.11, “The MySQL Query Cache”.

Version 4.0 further increases the speed of MySQL Server in a number of areas, such as bulk INSERT statements, searching on packed indexes, full-text searching (using FULLTEXT indexes), and COUNT(DISTINCT).
    Speed...
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/query-cache.html

Security...

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/grant.html

With Mysql 4.1 here and 5.0 is being worked on, 3.23 is getting long on the tooth now. Just the fact it's less secure is a reason to upgrade.

Chris

I will probably upgrade to mysql 4.1 sometime soon.

running mysql 4.x , no problems on our windows and linux

Just updated mySQL to version 4.1.10a standard.
    TJR Networks - Quality web hosting for everyday people...

I use 4.x but I my server provider told me that 3.x is better. I had to use 4.x for a software that is installed on my server.
    Former owner of 275mb, DKMHosting, and Easy-Upload

I'd definitely recommend 4.x
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Re: MySQL 3.x or MySQL 4.x ? Which one do you have installed?

Originally posted by artzweb
    MySQL 4 is as reliable as MySQL 3? What are your experiences with running MySQL 4 on production servers?
    We have been running MySQL 4+ for about 1 year with any problems. We haven't receive even a single issue due to only this as yet
    RVH Cloud - Every day hosting solutions since 2003
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting VPS Dedicated Servers True 24 x 7 x 365 Support

We currently have 4.0.22-standard installed
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

Thank you for your replies. I will seriously consider all that you mention. Most likely we will be scheduling an upgrade soon. However it is a pitty that there isn't an online resource which has investigated this matter, as from the MySQL site you can only find out about the new features.

All the time we used 4.0, but now admin downgraded untill mysql 3 ..... (stable.. huh)

I've been running 4.1.x on a few servers and its been running stable , faster the only thing to watch out for is the new hashing make sure you re build the cpanelphp and the mainphp

( /scripts/makecpphp)