Touchcreate Webdesign Review

Hello, a month ago on the 17th i contacted Touchcreate for them to touch up my website for $100, after talking with them more we decided to completely re create the website for an additional $300 so after all those payments were made they invited me to base camp which is a online project management portal.
    They created a mock-up of the new logo and a mock-up(image) of 2 out of the planned 5~ pages which were looking amazing! I was excited to see the end product! The project was meant to be finished by the 3rd, but when we talked they wanted to know if they can take a little longer, so i said sure and asked if it can be completed by the 7th? Which they said it was ok. Now its been over 18 days since i last saw them online on the 1st of may, and i have either been removed from base camp, or the project has been deleted. i have sent them emails regarding what is going on around 48 hours ago, but no reply. I have also tried to contact him through Skype on previous days.

Kyle who is the main guy i was talking too had time to post on his twitter about what he is downloading or if anyone was doing anything, but had no time to email me or contact me on Skype? After i sent him a tweet asking what is going on, it appears his twitter went inactive since i tweeted to him he has done no tweets since. Considering he tweeted at least once a day for every day before my tweet.

http://touchcreate.co.uk/

So i'm not really sure if he just got caught up in some massive real life problem but still being able to be social, or he is a runner.

But on the work that was done, he did a good job, too bad he couldn't go through with it all, as far as i'm aware he probably never even started programming.
    Last edited by Taylor - Megahertz H; 05-21-2012 at 09:29 AM.

<< snipped >>

I would firstly try and send him an e-mail or skype, tweet or whatever with different name so he surely will read it and say he should give you back your money asap so this ends. You have his name, you have his data, hope you have conversations.

Might be that he just have some problems, but on the other side, he might be some 18 years old dude, who copied your website and logo draft from somewhere alse to get $$$.
    Last edited by net; 05-22-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Are you also located in the UK? If so, there must be some local body you can go to for redress. If not, then try contacting there host (although very rare) they might be able to intervene in a matter such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by martincheq View Post
    << snipped >>

I would firstly try and send him an e-mail or skype, tweet or whatever with different name so he surely will read it and say he should give you back your money asap so this ends. You have his name, you have his data, hope you have conversations.

Might be that he just have some problems, but on the other side, he might be some 18 years old dude, who copied your website and logo draft from somewhere alse to get $$$.
    Thanks for the info about those payment options.

Quote Originally Posted by cpoalmighty View Post
    Are you also located in the UK? If so, there must be some local body you can go to for redress. If not, then try contacting there host (although very rare) they might be able to intervene in a matter such as this.
    And no i do not reside in the UK, at the moment i have a paypal dispute waiting to be appealed.
    Last edited by net; 05-22-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Sorry to hear this happened to you, there are lots of website design "agencies" out there that disappear off the internet once you pay them (which is why being your own designer is an advantage ). Your best bet is to try filing a dispute with PayPal and hope it goes through, you're going to have to prove that you paid for their services and never received any work, these companies do their best to make it seem like you're the bad guy. Wish you luck!

Quote Originally Posted by vpscrate View Post
    Sorry to hear this happened to you, there are lots of website design "agencies" out there that disappear off the internet once you pay them (which is why being your own designer is an advantage ). Your best bet is to try filing a dispute with PayPal and hope it goes through, you're going to have to prove that you paid for their services and never received any work, these companies do their best to make it seem like you're the bad guy. Wish you luck!
    Well it depends how hard paypal want to look at it, i still have a daily recap email from basecamp that contains the to-do list and who contributed too it. So if paypal accept that information as proof for my side all they really have to do is ask for the end product on kyles side and if he doesn't send it to paypal as proof then i should win this case. But that's if paypal does that.

Quote Originally Posted by chackonman View Post
    Hello, a month ago on the 17th i contacted Touchcreate for them to touch up my website for $100, after talking with them more we decided to completely re create the website for an additional $300.
    They created a mock-up of the new logo and a mock-up(image) of 2 out of the planned 5~ pages which were looking amazing!
    OK, so they've offered to design, code and import content for a 5 page website for $400.00?

Unfortunately that should have rang alarm bells, along with linking his personal twitter account to his website, including comments like "Suck on a fatal fart and joke on it" - very professional.

I don't want to slate TouchCreate / Kyle, but at the end of the day you're dealing with a one-man-band without the resources, assistance, legal come-back and reliability that a larger company would offer you. << snipped >>

Unfortunately PayPal doesn't tend to be massively helpful in disputes such as these, as a tangible item hasn't been sent/received, but I truly hope they find in your favour on this one. Next time, go with a decent sized company, or at the least, someone who will give you some legal recourse if the excrement hits the air conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by martincheq View Post
    Man I feel sorry for you. For such projects (i am designer btw) i use either online websites such as freelancer or 99designs personal invoice to make everybody secured - you get money back if youre not satisfied and i must finish design or I don't get payed. But since you already made a mistake ...
    OK so you're obviously just trawling for work - very subtle.
    Last edited by net; 05-22-2012 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by side3 View Post
    OK, so they've offered to design, code and import content for a 5 page website for $400.00?

Unfortunately that should have rang alarm bells, along with linking his personal twitter account to his website, including comments like "Suck on a fatal fart and joke on it" - very professional.

I don't want to slate TouchCreate / Kyle, but at the end of the day you're dealing with a one-man-band without the resources, assistance, legal come-back and reliability that a larger company would offer you. << snipped >>

Unfortunately PayPal doesn't tend to be massively helpful in disputes such as these, as a tangible item hasn't been sent/received, but I truly hope they find in your favour on this one. Next time, go with a decent sized company, or at the least, someone who will give you some legal recourse if the excrement hits the air conditioning.

OK so you're obviously just trawling for work - very subtle.
    Hey, his excuse was "building a portfolio" so i understood why it would be cheap so he can get some good references on his site.
    Last edited by net; 05-22-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chackonman View Post
    Hey, his excuse was "building a portfolio" so i understood why it would be cheap so he can get some good references on his site.
    I can understand that and I don't want this to come across as me bashing you for your choice. I just look at it as:

If I had to design 5 pages from scratch, then code them to a good standard (high enough to be used on a portfolio for example), and complete the project within a week or so, then I'd be looking at around 20hrs for design and a further 14hrs for coding (again, to a good standard).

That would work out at $11.76p/h (in UK currency that's £7.43p/h). I think the incentive to work on something for 3-4 days in a row when you're 18/19 is kind of difficult to keep going, especially when the hourly rate would be achievable at a McDonalds.

Paypal and 2co refunded the payments due to no response from seller on the dispute.