Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Most popular games ?

Hey.
    Can you tell me what are the most popular online multiplayer games and game modes ? Im not looking for a fully extended list but the few games which are the core of online multiplayer games and game modes ? Mostly FPS but if there is something else big its ok too(but no mmorgp)...
    By popular i mean with the most players if its not clear

Also if you can tell me what do you think is a sufficient game latecy/ping ? Im talking about a latency/ping wich below you dont have any practical advantage over that latency/ping ?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by magX View Post
    Hey.
    Can you tell me what are the most popular online multiplayer games and game modes ? Im not looking for a fully extended list but the few games which are the core of online multiplayer games and game modes ? Mostly FPS but if there is something else big its ok too(but no mmorgp)...
    By popular i mean with the most players if its not clear

Also if you can tell me what do you think is a sufficient game latecy/ping ? Im talking about a latency/ping wich below you dont have any practical advantage over that latency/ping ?

thx
    Well, as far as game server hosting (which rules out Modern Warfare 2;

CounterStrike
    CounterStrike Source
    Team Fortress 2
    Left 4 Dead
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (This is currently dying out due to MW2)
    Call of Duty: World at War
    Battlefield 2

Also will mention that ARMA2 is gaing ground as it is the best realistic squad based fps to date.

Being a gamer myself, nothing over 100ms and if possible anything lower than 60-70 is acceptable.
    Keith Mitchell,Dedicated & Virtual Server Engineer,Hosting.com
    Check out my Technical Blog - Keithdmitchell.com

^^^^ Pretty much nailed the popular games, DOD: S is getting there =D

Someone can think about any big game that is missing from that list ?
    Also is there any resource which estimate the amount of players on those games ? Any work as been done in that subject ?

Lastsly i would like to hear more opinions(or technical info) about the latency issue.

thx

Any Steam/Valve game

Someone can think about any big game that is missing from that list ?
    Also is there any resource which estimate the amount of players on those games ? Any work as been done in that subject ?

Lastsly i would like to hear more opinions(or technical info) about the latency issue.

thx
    Condition Zero, if I had to pick one. Consider checking out the Steam stats list, it shows a breakdown of games / players:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

As for hearing more about the latency issue, what specifically did you want to know? I'm sure a few of the technically minded people around would be happy to shed some light if we knew how to gear our responses

BrianFarrell,
    I saw that list and i think by "counter strike" they mean 1.6 and not CZ. Thx anyway
    By the way - those numbers are about steam servers only right? it does not include private servers ?

About the latency issue -
    As simple as what i asked. Below which latency there is no practical advantage if ill have lower latency ? ie having 20ms or 10ms doesnt really matter(maybe theoretically but definitely not practically). 50ms ? 60ms? 70ms? 80ms? etc... at which point there is no practicall different?

No, this is per game, doesn't matter if it is public or private. The latency is key for any precise targeting, esspecially for Counterstrike or honestly any FPS games. You'll find however that the CS crowd is very picky when it comes to this. Anything below 70ms is where you can will really stop noticing, unless that person has packetloss issues.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    Any Steam/Valve game
    Cannot really agree with this...
    Atleast in our country (in Asia).
    Counter-Strike and upgraded versions
    specially Counter Strike Source, still rules Internet and cyber-cafes.

Even few more which includes:
    Fifa latest series
    Unreal Tournament latest series.
    world of warcraft
    Quake (died few years ago, unsure why)
    Hardware
    Security
    techarena.in

Quote Originally Posted by kdmitchell View Post
    CounterStrike
    CounterStrike Source
    Team Fortress 2
    Left 4 Dead
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Battlefield 2
    Pretty much all of these, Are the best selling and most pop.

Ah nothing like wallhacks in CounterStrike-- I don't play that anymore but I do play L4D and L4D2 and will be for awhile and many of my friends.

CounterStrike
    CounterStrike Source
    Team Fortress 2
    Left 4 Dead
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Battlefield 2
    Blerb Web Hosting
    http://www.blerb.com/?r=831

Well here in the Philippines the most popular game is Defence of the Ancient or they called as "DOTA" wherein you can play it online using a third party software called as Garena. Team Fortress and counter strike can use that too as a medium to play online. The sufficient ping I guess is not more than 100 so that it will not be too laggy when already on play.

Racing Baby Car Seats | Find the latest trends and issues about child car seats
    Infant Toy Review | Online source Of infant toy products and baby toy reviews

I agree with Counter Strike Source

No, this is per game, doesn't matter if it is public or private. The latency is key for any precise targeting, esspecially for Counterstrike or honestly any FPS games. You'll find however that the CS crowd is very picky when it comes to this. Anything below 70ms is where you can will really stop noticing, unless that person has packetloss issues.

Are you sure it include all game server ? ie if i buy server from any GSP, will this statistic include the players who play in this server ?

W:ET Multiplayer and its free game and many play it.

Are you sure it include all game server ? ie if i buy server from any GSP, will this statistic include the players who play in this server ?
    70ms is a pretty safe threshold for most games. Some have a higher tolerance for higher latency, but a lot of that depends on the crowd. TF2 gamers aren't *terribly* picky on latency, they're certainly not as finicky as the 1.6 lifers.

Unless, of course, I completely misunderstood your question in which case please correct me so I can answer more appropriately.

WET is not a free game and I also don't believe it supports dedicated servers. Another game I left off that list, RTCW Enemy Territory. It's still widely played and its free.

WET is not a free game and I also don't believe it supports dedicated servers. Another game I left off that list, RTCW Enemy Territory. It's still widely played and its free.
    RTCW is old series of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (W:ET) and W:ET is free and RTCW is not free.

WET supports dedicated server. I run 8 W:ET servers.

You might want to check out Xfire to get an idea of what's hot. It should give you a decent indication of which games are going to help you shift servers.

http://www.xfire.com/cms/stats/

There is a huge difference between Xfire stats and Steam stats. Games like COD series(beside MW2) and BF2 has much more activity then Steam stats report.
    What is the reason for that difference ?

Fear Combat is still very popular. xD
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

World of Warcraft.
    Joshua G.

Still on Fallout 3, with lots of Mods...
    Sitekeeper
    Google

CounterStrike
    DOTA

CS / CSS / MW2 / L4D2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast