What CMS should I chose?

Greetings,

I am currently planning a website project that might reach tens of thousands of pages (divided in about 10 sections, with a different amount of categories in each one), each of which will grant the user the capability to comment on it (per example on a movie), vote, and perhaps some other features added later.

It would also provide articles that would be posted by Staff or users (verified then by Staff before posted).

Other than that, it'll have a huge forum, and the usual pages (FAQ, Credits, etc.)

For this type of site, I am thinking of using Mambo software, for the current reasons:

* It's free.
    * It's over version 4, which means it's certainly not a new CMS.
    * I've already been able to see personally how the community was helpful.
    * It has lots of free plugins, including comment plugins that might be what I need (although I couldn't yet find exactly where to dl them and how to use them, but I can always ask on the forums).
    * It allows to use a template and change it at wish (ie change the CSS, etc, etc)
    * The TOS permits the copyright to Mambo to be removed from the website (obliged only within the code).
    * I have heard positive feedback from persons running the same type of sites as me.

What do you think? What is your point of view on / experience with Mambo? If you would chose something else, what would it be?

2. question from a noob-what's a cms?

Content Management System.

4. Thanks for the info.

Mambo is good, i have used it before, easy to skin and add templates/mods... But as far as the administraton, it is a little complicated, clutterd by means, but still is a nice cms.

Originally posted by Criminal#58369
    Mambo is good, i have used it before, easy to skin and add templates/mods... But as far as the administraton, it is a little complicated, clutterd by means, but still is a nice cms.
    Would you suggest another one that'd be easier to handle, and still have the ability to do what I need? Thanks.

I've played around with Drupal a bit I found it easier in the admin section then mambo. I know its free but I don't know if it is past version "4". Worth a look though.

I have tried Drupal, Xoops, phpwebsite and Nuke.
    Then I found Mambo.
    All of them have some features which are better than the others but overall I found Mambo to be the best supported by a large, active community, easier to customise, and offering a better range of features.
    I have been using Mambo now on a number of sites for the last 2 1/2 years and am very happy with it.
    Keep in mind though, that I haven't used any of the others for the last 2 years so my appraisal of them may have become outdated.

All the cms have a learning curve. I personally didn't find the admin in Mambo complicated when I started, but that's just me
    Changing the look/feel of the sites has been easy and there's heaps of help available on the various Mambo forums (and a load of template downloads you can use).

Same here, I have tried Drupal, Xoops, phpwebsite, Nuke and a few others.

We even wrote our own CMS but as far as something "off the shelf" Mambo wins hands down.

They are right about the admin area, it takes some getting used to but after you figure it out you will like it.