RaQ 550 Life Cycle?

I searched all around the net for the info, but does anyone know when sun will kill off patches/support for the RaQ 550, we were thinking about picking some of these up and consolidating our whitebox + cp cost.

The last RaQ that I used was a RaQ3 and back then they seemed to have a large following.

My prime concern is that we would buy this peice of hardware and sun would stop supporting it.

Also has anyone had any particular problems with them? any customers complained about the CP?

EOL for the 550 is supposedly December 2003. Which means patch support stops 24 or 36 months after that. Note that RaQ4 patches are still released, albeit on an admittedly slow schedule.

Brandon

So its really not worth it to buy a RaQ 550 now, even one of the "new in box" ones from ebay for 1700 or so with decent spec.

Youd be better off spending 500$ on a 1U, and buying a unlimited domain cpanel like directadmin
    The Hostworks:: Offering Managed and Unmanaged VPS
    Shared Web Hosting and Managed E-Mail security services.
    24/7 Support :: 10 year anniversary coming soon!

Originally posted by thehostworks
    Youd be better off spending 500$ on a 1U, and buying a unlimited domain cpanel like directadmin
    I agree. Or buy a lifetime license from cpanel which is around $1500, and you can get way better specs out of that 1U if you build it yourself. We recently built a P4 2.6 GHz with 533 MHz CPU, 1 Gb RAM and 2x80 Gb Maxtor HDDs in RAID-0 config for around $550 (I am friends with OEMs who get me the parts at cost ) and we will be purchasing our own cpanel license very shortly. That is about $2k there and you get more power out of the box and a control panel more people know and use. We plan on using FreeBSD which IMO is a much better OS than anything Sun has ever threw at us.

The Raq 550's are/were great servers, in my opinion. It is too bad that they are now going EOL. I thought that the GUI and built-in features on the 550 were by far the best to date for that entire line of server appliances.

One alternative source of well-built servers that you may want to check out is http://www.cavaliericomputing.com. The owner, Bill Cavalieri, is a great guy and we've bought a bunch of servers from him and we're very happy with it.

Plus his pricing for rackmount servers is among the best that I've seen anywhere. I've also heard good things about SuperMicro although I have never bought one of their servers so I can't speak from first hand experience on that.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!