GoDaddy phone calls

Why does GoDaddy call its clients simply to ask "How are things"? I have never had a sales pitch from them and am puzzled as to why they do this? Anyone got any ideas?

Are you sure it is from Godaddy?

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I wouldn't doubt it, probably trying to sell him addons.
    http://www.bitaccel.com/ - High resource vps hosting and vps resellers.

Quote Originally Posted by YDGH-Corey View Post
    I wouldn't doubt it, probably trying to sell him addons.
    The OP stated they did not try to sell anything. sheesh

Its just a courtesy call. Are you a new client? You can remove yourself from the call list by calling support.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

When I had a few hundred domains with them, I would get regular "How are things?" phone calls. OBVIOUSLY, they are looking to drum up more business.
    ☆☆☆ Cool Domain Names - DomainSale.link☆☆☆

I used to have GoDaddy call me all the time, before I wisened up - I actually find calls terribly annoying and would rather them write me an email or something if they actually care, but whatever. I just ignored them, they stop eventually.

I have heard about this as well. It is called a "courtesy call". Went to a sales conference with Sandro Forte and that is one of the things that he recommended- calling your customer just to see how he is doing. I think they are just trying to build a relationship with their customers by making them feel more special. Just a guess though.

I just signed up for godaddy about 2 weeks ago never used them before avoided them forever but had a few domains being transffered there and ive gotten two call from them already one i anwsered always early in the morning and yeah its an upsale call asking how your doing and trying to find a way to toss in new services.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Lagarder View Post
    I have heard about this as well. It is called a "courtesy call". Went to a sales conference with Sandro Forte and that is one of the things that he recommended- calling your customer just to see how he is doing. I think they are just trying to build a relationship with their customers by making them feel more special. Just a guess though.
    Yes, all customer service seminars, courses and books say the same thing. Some here are determined to poo poo that idea for personal reasons, not for customer service reasons, when they should be learning from it. My bet is if the hosts here took the time out to call their customers to see how things are going they would be more successful.

The self-appointed host-advisors here stomp their feet about big hosts unable to provide personal service and recommending small hosts do it as a way to compete with the big guys, and increase sales. Now when a big guy does it the true motive of these self-important advisors are revealed. Or maybe they are just hiding laziness with negativity.
    Last edited by Collabora; 06-09-2012 at 11:12 AM.

I received a call from them as well, the day after I transferred a domain to them. I didn't pick it up and got an email shortly after saying that they were sorry they missed me and just wanted to welcome me to the company and answer any questions that I might have. I was quite impressed. I wasn't expecting anything like that and it definitely gave me the impression of a personable host even though they are such a big company.

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Or maybe they are just hiding laziness with negativity.
    I'd get a few people reacting badly like that when I used to do this in my ex-registrar life. I'd tell them something like sure it's nice to make money, and ask if they honestly felt good having someone call them without having to sell anything to them.

It's to make money, make customers feel welcome, etc. Kind of like make money without seemingly, necessarily trying.

Wait are people actually needing to go to a sales seminar to figure out that a courtesy contact with your customers from time to time is a good idea? Ultimately even if they don't get new business they are trying to strengthen the relationship with their customer to keep them as a customer.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Now when a big guy does it the true motive of these self-important advisors are revealed.
    Yeah, but it's GoDaddy...why would you ever assume good motives?
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

The OP stated they did not try to sell anything. sheesh

Its just a courtesy call. Are you a new client? You can remove yourself from the call list by calling support.
    I dont really want to comment on whether this was phone spam or courtesy (I'd rather go for the former) but I am surprised that every time some critic about this company appears you immediately jump in to their defence ....

The OP's post was clear. Question is why put words in her mouth?

A bit unrelated to the conversation, but worth mentioning..

NEVER give any information to someone if THEY are the ones that called you. Always say you'll call them back.
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
    Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
    e: sajan@parikh.io | w: sajan.io
    Give me a call at (262) 343-5973.

Good advice!

The OP's post was clear. Question is why put words in her mouth?
    Her? You know this person?
    Regarding the call, I think it's great. I don't particularly care for doing business with GD, but would not object to a company I use calling just to ask how it's going. No sales pitch, no problem.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

I don't see anything wrong with it myself.....it's a tried and tested business method of maintaining an open line of communication between you and your customers. Nothing new about it.

Not sure why anybody would have a problem with it. In fact if the serial sig spammers here did the same thing (that's presuming they actually have any customers) they may find their reputation as a service oriented business will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Her? You know this person?
    If I said "him" would you be asking me that question?

My bet is if the hosts here took the time out to call their customers to see how things are going they would be more successful.
    Yes, I completely agree on that. But does godaddy call their customers who just have domains?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinjiru Technology View Post
    Yes, I completely agree on that. But does godaddy call their customers who just have domains?
    I've been a domain customer for about 7 or 8 years but they've never called me....probably because I'm not in the US I expect.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ring in here with my 2 cents

We call as many customers as we can as a courtesy to make sure everything is performing as expected and to see if they have any questions.

Most importantly, we try to contact our new customers as soon as possible to make sure that they got the right products for the project they are working on. Go Daddy has a lot of different product offerings, and if one of our customers bought too much, or the wrong thing, we want to make sure they get their money back, or get setup with the right product.

Sometimes the call is simply to thank you for your business.

Anyways, I just wanted to chime in on this conversation.

Cheers!
    Gabe
    Go Daddy® Hosting Ambassador
    GoDaddy.com

I regularly call our customers, just to make sure all is well. My customers appreciate this simple gesture, and our retention rate shows it.

For myself, I have also received calls from Godaddy. And Google. And many, many more. I don't object to a courtesy call, and sales calls will sometimes turn into a profitable venture for us.

I do strongly object when the caller goes "car salesman" on me and tries anything to get a sale. Those guys I will have fun with, if I have the time. LOL
    -----------------------------------
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    One Stop Business Solutions
    AmeriWeb Hosting