Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question To block or not to block mouse right bottom click?

Hi,
    Somebody suggest me to block mouse right bottom click to get high security for my Web site and Forum. I am wandering is this helpful?
    Thank you.

For security? Do you not want them to steal .jpg's or something? What are you attempting to acheive?

Don't do this.

It will REALLY turn people off.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

I would recommend doing it on certain pages, like pages with anything that you will offer as a download. This will prevent people from copying the download link, to post on another website.

On main pages, with just text and images, I would say no to it. Some people like using the right click to do certain options.
    BC Morgue Gaming Community
    http://www.bcmorgue.com
    CS 1.5: 24.106.36.66:27017 CS without all the BS!

Originally posted by cybexhost1
    Do you not want them to steal .jpg's or something?
    Yes. Something like that.
    Thank you.

I suggest to leave it. Sites that do this drive me nuts. I'm always right clicking to bring up the menu so I can go back...

Originally posted by bcmorgue
    I would recommend doing it on certain pages, like pages with anything that you will offer as a download. This will prevent people from copying the download link, to post on another website.

On main pages, with just text and images, I would say no to it. Some people like using the right click to do certain options.
    View -> Page Source

Solved.

Anyone that wants to leech a file from your site will, unless you have an anti-leech script, or do no allow hot linking.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

Re: To block or not to block mouse right bottom click?

Originally posted by Oleks
    Hi,
    Somebody suggest me to block mouse right bottom click to get high security for my Web site and Forum. I am wandering is this helpful?
    Thank you.
    If it is the protect pictures thing you seek....
    I've used this before:

<script language="JavaScript">
    <!--

browserName = navigator.appName;
    browserVer = parseInt ( navigator.appVersion );

function stopthief(ie)
    {
    var warning = "Right clicking this page is not allowed.";
    if (browserName == 'Netscape' && ie.which == 3)
    {
    alert(warning);
    return false;
    }
    else
    if (browserName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' && event.button==2)
    {
    alert(warning);
    return false;
    }
    return true;
    }

document.onmousedown = stopthief;

// -->

Hope this helps.

Dan
    http://www.IwantFUI.com
    If you could host a new kind of content from your old-fashioned web servers
    and make new money from your customers and differentiate your business all at the same time... could you afford not to try? See the new site

Well, it is helpful if you do not want people so steal such an object as .jpg's. The problem is some people may become annoyed by this, if they want to do something as simple as a copy and paste, or something simple like that. I think we may need a stronger example on what you exactly are attempting to accomplish here.

Well, one thing I found, and I have used it before, as a nifty little program called Download Link Cloaker 5.0
    It's nice because it like "masks" the url download location, to make it useless for anybody who wants to copy/paste it to their site.
    http://www.codelifter.com/lc5index.html

If you do want to disable the right click, here is a java script that I have used.
    It's silent, no popups or sounds will play, it will just act like it ignored the button.

<script language="Javascript1.2">
    function nrcIE(){
    if (document.all){return false;}}
    function nrcNS(e){
    if(document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!document.all)){
    if (e.which==2||e.which==3){
    return false;}}}
    if (document.layers){
    document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
    document.onmousedown=nrcNS;
    }else{document.onmouseup=nrcNS;document.oncontextmenu=nrcIE;}
    document.oncontextmenu=new Function("return false");
    </script>
    BC Morgue Gaming Community
    http://www.bcmorgue.com
    CS 1.5: 24.106.36.66:27017 CS without all the BS!

Disabling right-click to prevent images being stolen is rather pointless. If someone wants to get the images they can. It will only stop an honest thief as anyone determined enough will find a way to get the images.

They can check the page source and get the link to download the image directly

They can take a screen shot of the site and crop the extra stuff from an image editing program.

They can go through their browser cache and get the graphics

They can save the entire page locally and get the images that way

IMHO - the best thing to do to prevent images being stolen is to put a faint watermark on them with your site name. This is ideal for photos or similar graphics. This doesn't make a lot of sense to use on design elements but I've seen that done too.

Do not Block it... !!!

Blocking the right Mouse button will not prevent that people copy your images or text.

I consider envios the web sites that block.

Also exposes the ignorance of the developer.

Limit the user to use the info for good pruposes, like sending a Mail or printing partial content of your web site.

Bloking limit the freedom of the web,

Do not be ñoño
    Do no block mouse or keyboard

Ok, I have a few questions for you to answer, based on the fact that you want to prevent others from seeing your source/getting images.

1) Please don't take this the wrong way if this does not apply to you but for the most part, 99% of people I know that want to hide their source learned the stuff from looking at the source of other pages. What makes you special?

2) Since you didn't create HTML and you use it free from royalties, what makes you think that you have the right to hide the source to the page?

3) Whatever you have on your page is likely to be freely available on many other pages. A unique piece of decent code is something I have not seen in quite a while. What have you made that is so special that you need to hide?

4) No matter what methods you apply to your site, any client side (it is called that for a reason) code can be retrieved by the client. If you hide code so that a client cannot see it, the browser cannot read it, so what is the point?

5) Right click is a function of the browser, what gives you the right to determine what functions of my browser I can and cannot access?

If you disable right click, even the least competent user can retrieve it from their cache, they can drag images to the address bar, use the keyboard to get right click etc. As I mentioned previously, there is no way at all (I challenge someone to prove me wrong) that you can hide client side scripting.

Think about this logically. If it was possible to hide your source code, why do Microsoft not hide theirs? After all they have their own browser yet they still cannot hide the source of their own page.

I really do not mean any offense by this post and I am certainly not aiming this directly at the thread starter, but I have seen so many posts of this type on many forums over the course of many years, with not one person being able to post a URL that they have hidden their client-side code.

Also, check out http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm

Do NOT disable right clicking. It is SO annoying!
    If I'm in a bad mood, and I go to a site that has right-clicking disabled (ESPECIALLY if there's a popup window that says something like "please dont' steal our stuff" which is as annoying as it gets).... I will sometimes just close the site and never go back. Not very often, mind you, but it still is annoying.
    It also makes you look like an arrogant idiot, as though your stuff were so special that everyone is just stepping over their mothers to try to steal it.

That said, there is NO WAY you can prevent someone from stealing your images. There's just none. Anyone who wants to, can and will.

The ONLY method of protecting your images, as someone said, is a watermark. Something very light so that it doesn't disturb the image, but strong enough so that it's immediately recognizable as YOURS, and anyone who tried to steal it would be stuck with showing where it really comes from.
    You can of course just add a URL at the bottom of the iamge, but that can be edited out easily enough. A watermark is usually far too much work to try to edit out, people who want to put that much effort may as well make their own image.

Agreed Wef, not like you cant just hit view source and steal those images anyways...... or better yet, use the left click and drag that image to the address page! Thats right! Theres the image! Watch out! Oh no!
    SkyLineHost.com
    ▓ ▓ Shared hosting that soars above the competition
    ▓ ▓ ▓ Based in Los Angeles. sales@skylinehost.com

You'll want to avoid the right-click script like the plague. For those who use text-to-speech screen readers, that script can freeze the reader.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Don't block right mouse click. It is such an irritant. Most of us are used to browsing multiple pages. There are better ways to protect graphics including splicing them and rejoining them using certain softwares.

But no right mouse click, unless you really are in a very niche market. Even then I would suggest against it. The ability to not browse a website without freedom is rather offputting.

There are better ways to protect graphics including splicing them and rejoining them using certain softwares.
    Please, recommend me such software.
    You are welcome to send me a private message if you do not want to post this public.

Thank you.

I just turn off Javascript when I'm on a page with right click disabled.

There are lots of legitimate reasons for right-clicking on any page.

In Opera there is a whole contect menu that pops up. You block me from that, I leave your site.

Originally posted by Wullie
    Ok, I have a few questions for you to answer, based on the fact that you want to prevent others from seeing your source/getting images.

2) Since you didn't create HTML and you use it free from royalties, what makes you think that you have the right to hide the source to the page?
    Not that I don't agree with your other points, and not to be argumentative (and I wasn't the original person who asked), but point 2...

John Grisham didn't invent the alphabet and he doesn't pay royalties for using it, but he still wants to protect his intellectual property when he fashions it in a unique way, called a book.

Do you believe there should be no such thing as intellectual property or intellectual property rights for software or anything computer related? That battle was fought and decided many years ago.

It's okay, if you believe that. Just curious.
    I'm certainly not arguing that disabling right click can protect the HTML source. Doing it and the right to do it are different things completely.

Dan
    http://www.IwantFUI.com
    If you could host a new kind of content from your old-fashioned web servers
    and make new money from your customers and differentiate your business all at the same time... could you afford not to try? See the new site

Here's a solution that requires CSS, so older browsers won't see the images at all; and it can be circumvented by people viewing the source code...but it doesn't change the browser behavior.

Instead of embedding the images into your pages, have divs (or some other container tag) with the appropriate image as the background. Use a clear .gif as the "image" in that container tag to set the size. The background image will show through, anyone right-clicking will just get a blank gif for their trouble, and those of us who use the right-click menu or text readers will not have our browsers derailed.
    Lesli Schauf, TLM Network
    Linux and Windows Hosting: Scribehost

Originally posted by DanPhx
    Not that I don't agree with your other points, and not to be argumentative (and I wasn't the original person who asked), but point 2...

John Grisham didn't invent the alphabet and he doesn't pay royalties for using it, but he still wants to protect his intellectual property when he fashions it in a unique way, called a book.

Do you believe there should be no such thing as intellectual property or intellectual property rights for software or anything computer related? That battle was fought and decided many years ago.
    I do agree with you, but a book is easily caught out if it is a duplicate, HTML, Javascript etc can be duplicated easily without anyone knowing.

If something is truly unique then sure you should be able to hide it, but we are talking about client side coding and not very much of it is unique or even worth hiding.

You make a good point but books are a totally different subject. A book is dated and any duplication can easily be proved in court as the publish dates can be traced. A piece of code on the Internet is not so easy to do the same with, because unless you actually copyright the code in question through the proper channels, there isn't much that you can do to prove the creation date and also the creator.

The most important thing here is that these people who want to hide their source are guaranteed to have used view-source to check out how some piece of code was created. I have seen about 20 people who asked this question and when asked what page was so special it needed the code hidden, they posted the URL to a site that contained JS taken from javascript.internet.com (Many which had removed the copyright from the code)

If the source code of every page was not available to the user from the beginning, the Internet would be years behind where it is now. A huge part of the reason why the Internet grows so quickly is because the source code is easily available for inspection, so if you see a cool function on a page, all it takes is view-source to find the code and then it's up to you to learn what it does and how.

If someone can honestly say that they have never used View-Source in the past and also have never used a piece of code from another site, then I have no problem with them trying to hide their source, but either way it's still not possible with client-side coding.

mozilla and it's kin have a way around the no-right-click scripts:

1. In the address bar, type about:config and press Enter
    2. Search for a Preference named dom.event.contextmenu.enabled
    3. Double click its entry and change it to false

Oleks, sorry about the delay. I didn't see your request here before.

The splicing software I was talking about can be found at :

http://www.htmlguardian.org/image-protection.html

Click on the left nav bar and it will provide you the details. Hope that helps

None of this client side protection works.

1) HTML protection through right clicking. Can be bypassed by a) disabling javascript, b) disabling it in Mozilla's settings

2) No right click to protecting URLs, that isn't the way to do it. Shift-Click will open any link in IE in a new window, copy and paste from the addressbar

3) No right click to protect images, IE has an image tool bar with a save button on it (OK so there is a meta tag for that though), however there is something called a cache or save entire web page.

4) Splicing to protect an image. Ever heard of screenshots? Screen capture the image and recrop it in a photo packages, splicing problem solved.

5) Encoding HTML, well if a browser can decode it so can a human.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast