What would you look for in a cloud provider?.

Strait to the point question: What requirements, features, ect would you look to find when shopping for a cloud computing provider?

This could mean geographic load balacning, user interface and self service options. I'm curious what people are looking for since this type of offering is completely different from the average shared and reseller packages.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Cloud Computing is good but the bandwidth costing is high after we cross some basic limit is crossed

Finding a cloud provider that isn't simply trying to sell a resold platform is something to look for.

We've had companies pitch clouds to us that:

* don't fully understand them technology wise
    * are more interested in selling it rather then the true value/solution for us
    * took a risk investing in a platform that leaves them being over-aggressive in selling it
    * pitch it as something solid and tested when the opposite is true for cloud computing.

Some of the larger clouds out there have had their share of problems and when your a small client on a big cloud platform your SOL.

So look for a company that doesn't do what I listed above. We recently accepted some cloud offerings from a company that did exactly what a cloud provider should do.

They understand it, they asked what we needed, and it's affordable too!
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

Quote Originally Posted by woods01 View Post
    Finding a cloud provider that isn't simply trying to sell a resold platform is something to look for.

We've had companies pitch clouds to us that:

* don't fully understand them technology wise
    * are more interested in selling it rather then the true value/solution for us
    * took a risk investing in a platform that leaves them being over-aggressive in selling it
    * pitch it as something solid and tested when the opposite is true for cloud computing.

Some of the larger clouds out there have had their share of problems and when your a small client on a big cloud platform your SOL.

So look for a company that doesn't do what I listed above. We recently accepted some cloud offerings from a company that did exactly what a cloud provider should do.

They understand it, they asked what we needed, and it's affordable too!
    Are you reselling cloud or are you offering your own cloud?
    Jay

We recently accepted some cloud offerings from a company that did exactly what a cloud provider should do.
    Care to share any names? It would benefit the community

(...)
    that took away 80% of the cloud host's right there
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

A "geographic load balancing" refers to a CDN, not to a Cloud hosting... I don;t know why many people think that "Cloud hosting" requires redundancy in terms of "Geographic locations"... it is not true. As far as for this "Finding a cloud provider that isn't simply trying to sell a resold platform is something to look for." I should disagree with it.

The best practice for the Cloud is NOT to have thousands of providers, each of them running their own automation platform. There will not be a standard and we will not have mature Cloud computing automation standards in hosting industry.

I have seen in the previous post that Ditlev is happy because their company does both cloud hosting services and sell an automation platform, but those a different businesses.

The best any web host do is to deploy a strong standard for the Cloud... like cPanel for the "good old servers".
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

GEO IP load balancing or CDN load balancing can be done at the DNS level. If you have a project I'd be happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by 00smita View Post
    Strait to the point question: What requirements, features, ect would you look to find when shopping for a cloud computing provider?

This could mean geographic load balacning, user interface and self service options. I'm curious what people are looking for since this type of offering is completely different from the average shared and reseller packages.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
    Another trend is for providers to offer full support on clouds. Incidentally, the initial cloud providers have been Do It Yourself. While that is fine for geeks, businesses need providers or some third party to support them.

yes buddy, I think you should research on providers list then go ahead,

cloud computing is new and good concept so there is much hope now these days.........
    professionally managed Web hosting India, Host Company offer Reliable Web Hosting India at economic rate.