How many players can I host with these specs?

Core2Duo E7200 2.53GHz
    4GB Ram
    300GB HD
    2TB 100mbps(I can get more transfer if necessary)

I'm looking to host Counter Strike Source with zBlock, HLstats and Teamspeak. Oh, and its 66 tick since I'm not scrimming with this server. Its more of a pub server.

You don't need an entire box for one game server.
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

I know I don't but I got a server doing very little work so I thought I might give it something to do. I just need to know how large a game I can host without killing it.

well those specs will easily run a counter strike server with all those addons and hlstats easy....

it doesnt require much to run CS to be honest, and as somone stated above you dont need a dedicated server.

however having a dedicated server gives you the freedom to run more servers if need be e.g. if your in a clan and want a match server and public server and/or running different games aswell as the cs etc.

does this help? not sure what ur asking from us tbh.

66 tick wouldnt be a problem with those specs at all.

you normally run into issues with gaming servers when ur running a few servers on the one box and there full all the time thats when u get issues.

but seeing as we are talking 1 instance of CS you will be more then fine with those specs. cant guarantee the network mind you as youve not told us where the server is. thats a different kettle of fish all together. "where people connect". but I think ive said enough already.

Ok, thats for the replies guys.
    Anyway, one last question. I'm pretty concerned about the choke and loss cus I've seen some servers buckle when the night gets busy. Is it due to network or CPU problems or both?

It can be a lot of stuff... network, processor load, RAM usage, for some games harddisks maybe even overheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    It can be a lot of stuff... network, processor load, RAM usage, for some games harddisks maybe even overheat.
    Like Rob said above, it can be a number of issues.

In my experience it's usually hardware not being able to keep up with the tasks required.

You can probably host around 4-5, maybe even 6 servers depending on how much FPS you set them as (ex: 125 - Base FPS, 250FPS, 500FPS, 1000FPS).
    <<Please review signature formatting guidelines>>

Quote Originally Posted by sparky123 View Post
    Like Rob said above, it can be a number of issues.

In my experience it's usually hardware not being able to keep up with the tasks required.
    So I should be safe with this config then I'm assuming.

Quote Originally Posted by powergsp View Post
    You can probably host around 4-5, maybe even 6 servers depending on how much FPS you set them as (ex: 125 - Base FPS, 250FPS, 500FPS, 1000FPS).
    I'm aiming 36-40 players and 66 tick. This is going to be a pub server. What would be a recommended FPS for this?

If its a pub server then you could get by with the stock fps (125), in that case, you won't have too much trouble with running 36-40 slots.
    <<Please review signature formatting guidelines>>

With that setup you will max out the CPU before you max out any of the other components as you have a good allotment of memory, hard drive space, uplink port speed, and bandwidth.

I would say with this setup and running at the tick/FPS you specified you could host around 70 to 100 slots of CSS.

Quote Originally Posted by lemeneid View Post
    Ok, thats for the replies guys.
    Anyway, one last question. I'm pretty concerned about the choke and loss cus I've seen some servers buckle when the night gets busy. Is it due to network or CPU problems or both?
    choke normally happens because of overloading the server with either other server related stuff or game servers.

loss normally happens due to the above and servers on the same network feed bursting at port speed thus loosing data packets.

aside from the server related issues it could also be rates aswell on the server and on the client machine.

however if running just 1 instance with those specs I cant see you getting choke, however if the network is oversold I can imagine u getting packet loss no matter what spec server you have.

with your spec. you cah host about 70 players and 5, 6 standard game servers