cheap hosting with ssh and git in europe

Hello,

any recommendation for a hosting company that gives ssh access and has git pre-installed?

Other requirements:
    - has to be in europe
    - php + mcrypt + gettext
    - disk .. 100Mb? bandwidth .. doesn't really matter, mysql: 1 database, email .. 5 addresses.

I know I can install git as long as I have shell access and a compiler / a few tools installed, but I'd like to avoid the hassle.

Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMoreno View Post
    Hello,

any recommendation for a hosting company that gives ssh access and has git pre-installed?

Other requirements:
    - has to be in europe
    - php + mcrypt + gettext
    - disk .. 100Mb? bandwidth .. doesn't really matter, mysql: 1 database, email .. 5 addresses.

I know I can install git as long as I have shell access and a compiler / a few tools installed, but I'd like to avoid the hassle.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Hello,
    Why dont you go with a low end VPS, I find them better for GIT setups. I have one personally with RAMHost in the UK for a VPN
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

Nobody is going to offer a box with Git installed, that's simply because it's on the user to install whatever he or she may need.

Like Keith said, check out a low end VPS. Here's a site that publishes current offers from low end VPS providers.

http://www.lowendbox.com/tag/uk/
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
    Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
    e: sajan@parikh.io | w: sajan.io
    Give me a call at (262) 343-5973.

fwiw, seems like:

webfaction.com
    site5.com
    hostgator.com

all have git installed and give ssh access on the shared *hosting* machines. At least, from what I can read on other forums.

What seems missing is the geoip module for php.

webfaction.com
    site5.com
    hostgator.com

all have git installed and give ssh access on the shared *hosting* machines. At least, from what I can read on other forums.

What seems missing is the geoip module for php.
    I use webfaction and don't mind putting in a good word -- not to mention you can run your own apache instance + httpd.conf & have it reverse-proxied and your own compile of php.. you can basically have any module you want

they're also running 5.4 instead of the outdated 5.3 (your choice when creating a folder, anyways) by default

Actually, finding a host that offers SSH but not git, then installing git yourself, is probably not an option. Most shared hosts offering SSH will offer "jailed shell", which means (amongst other things) that certain functions are disallowed. The main thing you can't do is compile.

If you need SSH with compiler access, then yes you need a VPS. Any shared host who lets you do that will probably be one you'd regret joining in the long run. If you just need SSH for git and utils like diff / patch, then you just need to ask a few hosts who offer SSH whether git is installed.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

It's rare if in a shared hosting you can install git app's.