Thread: ensim

* ensim

How do you guys feel about ensim? Any experinces?

Thanks!
    Multiple Image Corporation - http://www.multipleimage.com
    Diverse Solutions for Diverse Companies.
    Virtual, Dedicated & Colocated Hosting.

Well

Well...

Lets see where to begin.

I will leave prior expierences aside.

I think there server xchange product is solid and really kicks butt.

I there stand alone appliance is weak, and Plesk 2 is by far better.

It depends what you get into.

If you can afford Server xchange its solid, if you cant go with Plesk

Joe
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Joe, how uninformative! You should explain the strengths of one over the other. Since neither one is a panacea.

I admit, my experience with plesk is, well, non existant. But I've read around this discussion board the abilities of one over the other.

I've heard that plesk's control panel, while functional as hell, is a little boring and confusing to newbies. Whereas ensim's control panel is "prettier" and more intuitive.

As a company that hosts both ensim (many servers) and plesk (one server) I freely admit that ensim has had it's share of "annoyances", but we've rarely lost customers because of it. In fact, when we have lost customers it's usually because they just didn't like the feel of the ensim control panel.

FYI, there is supposedly a new version of ensim comming out in a month or so. I'm not sure, but I think the features that plesk has that are lacking in this version of ensim will be integrated into the new version of the WEBppliance.

lol @ webreseller, who owns the 1 plesk server you host ?

Originally posted by webreseller
    Joe, how uninformative! You should explain the strengths of one over the other. Since neither one is a panacea.

I admit, my experience with plesk is, well, non existant. But I've read around this discussion board the abilities of one over the other.

I've heard that plesk's control panel, while functional as hell, is a little boring and confusing to newbies. Whereas ensim's control panel is "prettier" and more intuitive.

As a company that hosts both ensim (many servers) and plesk (one server) I freely admit that ensim has had it's share of "annoyances", but we've rarely lost customers because of it. In fact, when we have lost customers it's usually because they just didn't like the feel of the ensim control panel.

FYI, there is supposedly a new version of ensim comming out in a month or so. I'm not sure, but I think the features that plesk has that are lacking in this version of ensim will be integrated into the new version of the WEBppliance.

Ensim is pretty good CP for site owner and end user not Admin. And there are lot things are missing in it.
    Like subdomains. Only admin can make not site owner.
    Its little slow maybe cos of python in it
    You can only change the ftp home directory in name based site not IP based sites.
    Its like hell to configure Tomcat with it.

Hmm

Host whom could that be, maybe I

Joe
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

I think

Now for some real info:

Ensim: Ensim has a network wide solution called serverxchange, it offers more network functionality and scability, but is not a control panel per say although it integrated a control panel called webapplicance into it, when you get down to the nitty gritty of the enduser control panel by ensim called webappliance and its closest competitor plesk, plesk rises to the top of the pack, the reasoning on this can be seen below:

1. Plesk's support team is unrivaled in the industry.
    2. Plesk uses Qmail, a much more stable and secure mail exchanger.
    3. Plesk 2 has database support built in.
    4. Plesk has all the other standard features ensim has but in a easier to use interface that is worlds more stable.

All this he hawing over ensim coming out with a new control panel is great, but its of no use to mention this until its out, who knows whether it will be any good, plesk already have a great product out!
    Last edited by cbaker17; 09-15-2001 at 11:08 AM.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Everyone can argue to no end who is better or worse. I'll just give my opinion.

1) Ensim has multiple platforms. ServerXchange, which is a Hosting Automation Platform and WEBppliance LS which is a control panel. I have and use both, they are great. If you want to learn more all you have to do is call them and ask or read their web site http://www.ensim.com/

2) WEBppliance for virtual hosting by far is better than the rest for the end customer (site administrator)

3) I have been beta testing the new ServerXchange 3.0 and WEBppliance 3.0 products. I can't say much because of an NDA. But I will say "WOW!!!"

4) Ensim support is simply remarkable, very responsive and knowledgeable. The whole company takes part in helping the customer. Everyone from support to engineering to marketing are just awesome.

If you have any questions you can contact me off line.

obv.

Obv. you have never tried plesk, anyhow, plesk actually supports many many more platforms than ensim
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Re: obv.

Originally posted by cbaker17
    Obv. you have never tried plesk, anyhow, plesk actually supports many many more platforms than ensim
    Yes. I have used Plesk and others but what does that have to do with anything. I choose to run one platform; Red Hat Linux. So I do not care about the FreeBSD or other linux platform support, and I don't think most of the customers care either unless you tell them to care. All the customer cares about is. (maybe not in this order)

a. uptime
    b. ease of use
    c. speed
    d. cost

Don't forget about the Ensim ServerXchange platform that supports Win2K and Solaris. Again.. You can argue forever, it is best to do your own research and try all the platforms before you make a choice. I did just that and I choose Ensim.

cbaker, LIGHTEN UP! I was joking around with Joe. I have all the respect in the world for JBIZ718. I also stated that I couldn't be too informative since I'm not familiar with plesk. I thought writing

"But I've read around this discussion board the abilities of one over the other. "

would show that I think there is information on this board already. That multipleimage could look around and read before other responses started coming through.

If you can't joke around then what's the point? I've seen threads go from serious to outright war. What good is that? If you can add an air of levity, then it USUALLY puts people at ease.

I'm sorry if one smile doesn't cut it anymore as an obvious joke. Next time I'll use all the smiles I can and I'll make sure to put a disclaimer at the bottom!

--Matt

Re: Hmm

lol @ Joe

Originally posted by JBIZ718
    Host whom could that be, maybe I

Joe